Light schedule for faster growth

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I heard some animal raisers leave the lights on 24/7 for faster growth. Wondering if rabbits are more active at night would they have faster growth if you have them less light and more darkness?

I have read the ideal light conditions are 16/8 which replicates the light at midsummer in Europe (where they are from), when wild rabbits are at their most productive.

Being that they're burrowing animals and spend a great deal of time underground, I would think a period of complete darkness is important to them as well.

I thought rabbits were nocturnal, but I recently discovered they are crepuscular. So their most active times are dawn and dusk (my guess is that deer are also in that category).

Also, two factors that make many animals more fecund are light and fresh greens. That seems to correspond with the seasons...spring through summer being the most life-producing time. But the dormant and dark part of the year create a "rest" in the year that is probably indispensable for the upsurge in productivity come spring. Chickens are a perfect example of all that!

It is really nice to have a place to post my thoughts and know that others are also interested in thinking these things through!!! Lots of natural mysteries God has left for us to appreciate!

God bless you!

Last edited:
Back