Let's talk about nesting boxes...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cottie

Reaction score
So, I'm having an issue with the nesting boxes in the does' colony. I used dresser drawers flipped upside down. Well, I can't view the nest without disturbing it. *sigh*

What about sterilite drawers? They sell them at Walmart for pretty cheap, and they're roomy on the inside. For example, this one is 17" x 12" x 10". http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProduct. ... &section=1

I'm thinking...drill some holes in the side and top to prevent the greenhouse effect, paint the sides (with something nontoxic, obviously) to make it opaque and cut a hole in the front.

Then, I can distract the doe elsewhere and pull out the drawer to view the kits without disturbing the nest. It will also prevent them from being randomly scattered to some degree.

Thoughts? Things I'm not considering?

Why not build a plywood box hinged top so you can open it when ever you want? Just put a hole in the end so they can get in and out and a few hole in the sides for air.

My concern with plywood is if water gets into the tractor, it will be enclosed and never able to dry out. I expect the plywood bottoms (ETA: of the tractor) to get wet, but want something that won't harbor mildew the kits will come into contact with (so plastic or metal).

If you have the means to do so, build your own nest boxes out of 1/2"x1" flooring wire. They're just like the sani-nests that Bass Equipment sells, and all you really have to do to them in order to clean them is change the cardboard liners and use a scrub brush with some vinegar or vanedine solution after each use.

I think I have those sterilite ones, mine are 3 high. I use them for kids toys. It is a solid drawer that pulls out so kits would not get stuck in a track.

My kids are asleep so I can't go peak (twins room and I do not want them to wake up) but I don't believe there is a big space between the frame and drawer. If there is a space it is fairly tight. I don't think a 10 day old kit could fit in the space.

I like the idea.

LauraNJ":1w7923pt said:
I think I have those sterilite ones, mine are 3 high. I use them for kids toys. It is a solid drawer that pulls out so kits would not get stuck in a track.

My kids are asleep so I can't go peak (twins room and I do not want them to wake up) but I don't believe there is a big space between the frame and drawer. If there is a space it is fairly tight. I don't think a 10 day old kit could fit in the space.

I like the idea.
The ones I'm thinking of don't really have a frame. It's a solid top, with side and bottom supports. The drawer is basically the entire thing. I think for them to get into whatever space, they'd have to crawl over a side.

ladysown":1w7923pt said:
could you not use Rubbermaid containers? that way you can remove the lid to let the heat vent out.
I had those in there before. The only ones I could find had rounded bottoms and the does flipped them over very easily. I want to go that route, but can't find any that are actually squared at the corners.

Yep, the clear part is a solid drawer, just the white are the supports. I looked at mine and there is relatively no space between drawer and the white frame part. I think it is a good solution for how you want to use it. They aren't that expensive, I would give it a try.

Cut it with a dremel, it will kind of melt the plastic as it cuts, and once it cools down you can take a file and file off any rough spots. Ends up being very smooth. If you use a drill it is apt to crack the plastic.

RJSchaefer":12jmad1h said:
My concern with plywood is if water gets into the tractor, it will be enclosed and never able to dry out. I expect the plywood bottoms (ETA: of the tractor) to get wet, but want something that won't harbor mildew the kits will come into contact with (so plastic or metal).

If you build them out of wood, use 1/4 masonite pegboard with 1/4 inch holes for the bottom. You need to soak them in linseed oil for a few minutes then let dry for a day or two to make them waterproof. The plastic would be easier, though. I don't use plastic around my rabbits, they love to chew it too much. :roll:

This may be a really silly question.

You`re breeding meat rabbits - yes?

So why do you want to look at the kits?

If you look after the doe, she will look after her family, you just have to learn to trust her.

Ivory":26l3nz9n said:

If you look after the doe, she will look after her family, you just have to learn to trust her.
Honest and pertinent answer: I'd like to be able to look for dead ones and be able to judge what's going on in the nest. At least until my does are proven and I have a better idea of what could go wrong. Most books/manuals/articles I've read have suggested checking on the nest at least a few times.

Honest, not pertinent answer: because I have 5 kids, had to have my tubes tied with the last one, and really like looking at baby animals. :oops:

Ivory":2992smgh said:

Because they are ADORABLE! You have to look at them and pet them and make sure they grow up big and healthy. :D

RJSchaefer":2610inf9 said:
Ivory":2610inf9 said:

Honest and pertinent answer: I'd like to be able to look for dead ones and be able to judge what's going on in the nest. At least until my does are proven and I have a better idea of what could go wrong. Most books/manuals/articles I've read have suggested checking on the nest at least a few times.

Honest, not pertinent answer: because I have 5 kids, had to have my tubes tied with the last one, and really like looking at baby animals. :oops:

EXCELLENT POINT!! If there are babies who die, you need to remove them ASAP. The larvae (maggots) from flies and other insects will begin to feed on the dead kits as they begin to decay, and can make the rest of your kits sick. I'm not saying to hound the doe's nest repeatedly day and night, but you should check it from time to time to get an understanding of what is going on, to get an honest assessment of how well your doe is doing as a mom, and for the well-being of the other rabbits in the barn.

RJSchaefer":c2ge1k7m said:
Ivory":c2ge1k7m said:

Good answer. I totally understand why you need to get at the kits now. I don`t have kids so I tend to forget these things.

Most of my nest boxes are made out of old dresser draws too. Most of them are just flipped upside down but some of them are the right way up with a hinged or loose lid that can easily be removed. I don`t like the loose lids much because the does tend to knock them and they fall off or sometimes they fall on top of the nest. Overlap an inch all the way round and your kits shouldn`t get wet.<br /><br />__________ Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:25 pm __________<br /><br />
SatinsRule":c2ge1k7m said:
RJSchaefer":c2ge1k7m said:
Ivory":c2ge1k7m said:

EXCELLENT POINT!! If there are babies who die, you need to remove them ASAP. The larvae (maggots) from flies and other insects will begin to feed on the dead kits as they begin to decay, and can make the rest of your kits sick. I'm not saying to hound the doe's nest repeatedly day and night, but you should check it from time to time to get an understanding of what is going on, to get an honest assessment of how well your doe is doing as a mom, and for the well-being of the other rabbits in the barn.

If any of my kits die, their mothers almost always throw them out of the nest or eat them.

paradox":c2ge1k7m said:
Because they are ADORABLE! You have to look at them and pet them and make sure they grow up big and healthy. :D

I agree, they definitely are adorable, especially when they are about 12 to 21 days old. They`re old enough to be interesting, but not yet old enough to be a nuisance.

Ivory":3hvt5nfk said:
If any of my kits die, their mothers almost always throw them out of the nest or eat them.

One of our experiences must be particularly rare then, because I honestly cannot tell you when the last time I had a doe eat any of its young; dead or otherwise.

In the case of Lola's recent litter, there were two babies which had apparently died within the first 48 hours they were born. I reached this conclusion judging by the state of their bodies when I found them on about day 5. Additionally, the breeder I work most closely with in the satin world has been raising competitive show rabbits longer than either of us has likely even been alive, and he said the same things as it relates to removing dead kits from the nest box.

The current nesting boxes (upside down dresser drawers) are pretty inconvenient. Minnow was nice enough to build her nest with enough space between the back and sides that I can lift it up without worrying about disturbing them, and replace it without worrying about crushing them.

I checked twice yesterday. All were alive. I've told myself I'm not going to check again until tonight or tomorrow morning, and am just peaking in with a flash light to make sure no one has escaped until then.

The plastic drawers would make this much easier. I'm definitely going to switch to them.

Show rabbits are a whole different kettle of fish Satinsrule. If I were breeding show rabbits I'd have a different SOP.

For my current Flemish doe, I built a new nestbox with a removable top especially so I COULD check on the litter. As it happens she chose not to use it and made her nest in the opposite side of the pen.

I'm very pleased to say that out of twentywhatever litters this summer I think I have only lost twelve kits, seven of those were from a litter of eighteen and three were already weaned.

Rambling again............<br /><br />__________ Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:52 am __________<br /><br />
RJSchaefer":1t6z12p9 said:
The current nesting boxes (upside down dresser drawers) are pretty inconvenient. Minnow was nice enough to build her nest with enough space between the back and sides that I can lift it up without worrying about disturbing them, and replace it without worrying about crushing them.

I know exactly what you mean. Some of my caged does have an irritating habit of making their nests against the door so I have to be really careful about opening and closing them.

RJSchaefer":1t6z12p9 said:
The plastic drawers would make this much easier. I'm definitely going to switch to them.

I have never been happy with plastic for rabbits, I know lots of people use it, but its never worked for me. The rabbits chew it and scratch it, the scratches fill with dirt and before long it looks old and shabby. I also wouldn't use it because of the temperature here in the winter, I like the insulating properties of wood.

Question: Do you HAVE to use nesting boxes??? So far my experience has been like this...they start nest making, in goes nest box, nest making comes to a screeching halt...pull out nest box, nest making starts all over again, put in nest box, nest making comes to a screeching halt. I'm sure ya'll are seeing the pattern here. :D

Back