Legal Requirements - minimum age for selling rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ah, but understand this.... It doesn't matter the age of the rabbit that you sell. You can sell an 8 week old kit, a 4 month old youngster, or a 2 year old senior... and they literally ALL could get enteritis and die. EVERY single one. So the possibility that they MIGHT get sick and die isn't sufficient reason to not sell a rabbit. The seller of the rabbit should be getting their "to be sold" rabbits into condition to be sold before they sell them.

For some herds that means meaning kits at 6 weeks so that they can adjust to feed without momma providing supplementation to their diet.

For other herds, it means keeping kits with mom until either mom is saying "I want to be bred, get this bothersome youngsters away from me", and selling those kits right off of mom.

For yet OTHER herds... the process might be different. Such as slowing adding a variety of feed to their diet to get them ready for pet homes. Or keeping them with mom until 8 weeks, weaning for a couple of weeks, and then selling kits at 10-12 weeks.

The law might (or might not) matter to the individual rabbit owner. And understand, that not everywhere has an 8 week minimum age requirement.

Every herd is different, every owner has a different method that time and trial has taught them (hopefully).

I USED TO sell rabbits at five weeks and only lose one or two of them per year.

over the past 20 years.... more and more people are insisting that rabbits have to be 8 weeks or older (as we've been more and more influenced by many stateside laws)... so now I don't sell until they are 8-9 weeks old... and my losses in the course of year haven't changed.

But where I live.... the government doesn't have a minimum age requirement, so if I want to sell at 6 weeks I can. AND it doesn't influence the outcome.

I know that if I purchase a rabbit I want it under three months or over six months. That between 3-6 months age is prime time for brought in rabbits to develop enteritis in how I raise rabbits. I dunno why, I just know that it is.

Perhaps the question should be...

HOW DO YOU prepare your rabbits to move into a new home? As opposed to what age do you insist rabbits be before they move into a new home?

and how would someone know---you could post they are 12 weeks and the rabbit wouldn't tell on ya!
rediculous.
There are special "secret" departments in each law enforcement agency, state, county & city that have undercover officers often posing as The Avon Lady or power company meter readers that verify the age of your rabbits.
They are very sneaky about it too... until you get caught!
Much like the undercover cops that check your pillows & cushions to verify the tags are intact.
When they say... "Do not remove under penalty of law" they really mean it!

Nice... I just shot hot coffee out my nose!
Not quite as bad as rootbeer but still... a little warning would have been nice.
I had this mental image of John Candy dressed in drag in the movie Armed & Dangerous.
I shared your plight with my girlfriend and she said to tell you that she's ALWAYS asking for warning before I send snarky messages.

Latest posts

Back