Legal Requirements - minimum age for selling rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
a post on rabbit habbit (http://z13.invisionfree.com/RabbitHabbit_Forums/)caused me to think about this.

In Delaware (the state) the minimum age to sell rabbits is 12 weeks. Most places I know it's 8 weeks.

I know that locally in the pet stores they want them as close to 8 weeks as they can get them which makes me think the legal age in Ontario is probably close to 8 weeks -- but I don't know for sure and am not sure where to look for that information.

so I"m asking
1. what's the minimum age where you are from
2. where does one go to find out that information?

Wow. I didn't know there was a minimum. I wean at 5 weeks and if someone wants to buy one that young, then great. I won't guarantee against weaning enteritis until 6 weeks though. I don't think if I were selling a pet, I would sell it that young. Most of my buyers that are keeping them, rather than butchering, raise rabbits and have an understanding of their care.

The state of Wi its 8 weeks for rabbits, cats and dogs.
For us its state law and the info is in our state statutes found on the states web site.

In New York State the Ag and marketing Law states:
Rabbits must be at least eight weeks old [Two Months]
before they are sold. Unless sold in lots of six or more.
I will not sell a rabbit under two months old, in fact
I prefer to sell them at at least three months of age.
I know that the Petshops prefer to purchase their rabbits
as young as possible four weeks is not too young for them.
The problem with selling a Kit that young unless to a knowledgeable breeder is:
you are most likely sending a number of those sold to their imminent DEATH!
Rabbit/kits that young are not yet developed enough to contend with
the many problems they will be facing in their new environment,
especially if being placed into the care of the those not yet equip-ed to handle
the problems which may arise in/for young rabbits.
As always, JMPO. we each must do what we feel is best for the members of our herd.
Dennis, C.V.R. :band:

depends on the state/province

as far as I know there is no iit in Ontario

8 weeks in California - I found out because they changed the age and it was in the newspaper - it stated "It is illegal to sell any dog, cat, rabbit or other small mammal, other then for food purposes, under the age of 8 weeks" or something similar. I think it lists it on the zoning laws and our newspaper also outlines it.

I have never seen a minimum age for rabbits posted in GA, but in FL it was 8 weeks for most domestic baby animals and it was in every newspaper and posted at vet clinics. I wean based on how the litter is doing so it is not always at 5 or even 6 weeks necessarily, plus I have a concern about new owners causing gastrointestinal upset in the younger kits. I have it in my policy that I won't let kits go younger than 8 weeks, but I actually prefer it be a bit older and my Elops in particular I tend to hold onto until 12-16 weeks+ since they are so slow growing/maturing comparatively.

Best of luck,

Lauren

cereshill":1f0kr348 said:
and how would someone know---you could post they are 12 weeks and the rabbit wouldn't tell on ya!
rediculous.

The problem is that:
YOU will know and when the kit dies due to the fact that it was not yet ready to
face life on it's own, not having a fully developed digestive/immune system.
You are potentially sending your Kitten off to imminent DEATH.
Is it really worth it to make an early rabbit/kitten sale?
I prefer to wait till they are even older than 8weeks. I like to think that
any rabbit I sell at least has the potential, with proper care and feeding, to make it to adulthood.
As always, JMPO We all must follow our own path.
Dennis, C.V.R. :rainprf:

cereshill":37x73rm7 said:
and how would someone know---you could post they are 12 weeks and the rabbit wouldn't tell on ya!
rediculous.

Just to remind you, Cereshill, that this forum is called Ethical Rabbit Raising for the Pet Market. There is nothing ridiculous about following the laws established for the good of the young animals being sold. Quite frankly, I'm a little shocked by your attitude.

Actually there is a point there cereshill.. you are right, there is absolutely no way to prove actual age especially in a rabbit.There would be many "types" out there that would sell 4 week olds as 8 week olds, especially of the larger breed types. They most likely would also name them as "dwarf" too! A double whammy to the unsuspecting buyer. So how does a law get enforced when there's no legal way of determining actual age? I am sure there are many "experts" out there that may testify that a rabbit is so many weeks old,but in the end thats an opinion not a fact. AAAANdd to be clear I am talking generally and hypothetically NOT what my personal attitude is towards the issue. :) I actually find it quite sad that time and tax money has to be spent to enact laws just for common sense things that in the end are not really enforceable just on the off chance they might stop one or two from doing something!

^^i get what you mean.. that's what I thought cereshill was kinda saying. I thought she meant like, how can you prove the age when there are so many unethical breeders that would try to make a buck... like at the pet store. as if the law was a waste of time. maybe?
will it deter unethical breeding in the form selling too young of kits?

Devon's Mom Lauren":2i6op9jc said:
Actually there is a point there cereshill.. you are right, there is absolutely no way to prove actual age especially in a rabbit.There would be many "types" out there that would sell 4 week olds as 8 week olds, especially of the larger breed types. They most likely would also name them as "dwarf" too! A double whammy to the unsuspecting buyer. So how does a law get enforced when there's no legal way of determining actual age? I am sure there are many "experts" out there that may testify that a rabbit is so many weeks old,but in the end thats an opinion not a fact. AAAANdd to be clear I am talking generally and hypothetically NOT what my personal attitude is towards the issue. :) I actually find it quite sad that time and tax money has to be spent to enact laws just for common sense things that in the end are not really enforceable just on the off chance they might stop one or two from doing something!

the types of seller you are talking about are about as far removed from ethical as possible though eh?

very young animals are actually the easiest to age - rabbits and rodents are tougher then puppies and kittens but a 4 week old is usually identifiable ...

I'm reading this discussion and thinking "the only way to judge the age of an animal is to trust the ETHICS of the seller", kwim? Now..in horses, I can usually age one within a year once they're adults. Before that it's even easier. (teeth wear and size) But dogs? rabbits? I have no clue. And cats..well....I'm pretty much a "yep. that's a cat" kind of person. :D

Makes me sad that there are folks who will sell kits so young, but then I think about the dairies that sell day old calves :( Ahtough....I've seen how the calves are raised and how happy the critters tend to be..daily hand feeding, nice surroundings, cleaned daily.... It's all about economics.

all about economics.. hmmm sad and true.

The ethics of the breeder... coming into this new, I'm learning so much about these ethics. Where the novice "i think I'll get a pet rabbit for my kid to learn responsibility", has no clue that ethics are even involved, ykwim?

Devon's Mom Lauren":1redi0ws said:
Actually there is a point there cereshill.. you are right, there is absolutely no way to prove actual age especially in a rabbit.There would be many "types" out there that would sell 4 week olds as 8 week olds, especially of the larger breed types. They most likely would also name them as "dwarf" too! A double whammy to the unsuspecting buyer.
I believe this is what happened to my parents, when they bought my first rabbit I had as a teen. She fit completely in one hand. They were told she was a small breed (I don't know if they were told she was a dwarf or not). She grew to be 22 pounds... and she might have been a little overweight, but I'm not sure she was... she was not a fat rabbit.

She was sold to us so small, I doubt she was even four weeks.

Woweee Miss M!! 22 pounds??!! Sounds like a pure Flemmish lol, That would be a bit of a shock thinking you were getting an older rabbit that was supposed to be smallish! happened to my sister too she ended up with a monster after being told it was a dwarf, many moons ago...

It happens all the time. People want cute little dawrfs for pets, but big rabbits pop out more babies per litter so if you sold them young enough people wouldn't be able to tell the difference. You could make more money then you could off an actual dwarf who only has 2-3 babies a litter. Those people make me sick, they shouldn't be anywhere near a living breathing animal.

Devon's Mom Lauren":257sjwjg said:
Woweee Miss M!! 22 pounds??!! Sounds like a pure Flemmish lol, That would be a bit of a shock thinking you were getting an older rabbit that was supposed to be smallish! happened to my sister too she ended up with a monster after being told it was a dwarf, many moons ago...
Yessirree... she was a big, big bunny rabbit. Our cat was scared to death of her. :lol: I wonder if she was Flemish... I have no memory of the shape of her body, just that she was a very big agouti. Good thing my parents had bought a large dog kennel for me to keep her in! She certainly grew into it!

Back