Lambsquarters (Chenopodium album): Article Link

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuddyFarms

Reaction score
Hey guys-

Came across this article about Lambsquarters (Chenopodium album) on the Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association website. I recognized the name from the New Safe Plants for Rabbits List from @MaggieJ and got to learn about how good of a resource it is. Just not sure we have it where I live. :( Good to learn about, though!

https://www.mofga.org/resources/greens/lambsquarters/

We have it. It grows in the spring; fast and tall--at least knee high. It pulls up very easily, even from hard, dry ground. I don't think the picture you have there is very representative. Try looking at some other images. It grows like crazy here in the SD central Black Hills, but maybe it's too wet where you are?

Hey guys-

Came across this article about Lambsquarters (Chenopodium album) on the Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association website. I recognized the name from the New Safe Plants for Rabbits List from @MaggieJ and got to learn about how good of a resource it is. Just not sure we have it where I live. :( Good to learn about, though!

I put the leaves in salads I make for my family. There is so much edible growing right outside our doors. We all need to recapture that knowledge for ourselves and for our rabbits.

I think it may like poor soil. Growing up is would grow about anywhere, but it was specially prevalent in the depleted farm field. If it likes where it is growing it can get to 5 to 6 feet tall. I just pulled the dead stalks of some 5 footers. The image on the linked site is definitely an immature plant. It is a tasty green for humans. Dosiedoe like leaves and stems.

I've grown it purposely. If you harvest just the tops it will start to branch nicely and continue providing for some time before going to seed. Since it's a wild spinach it tastes very much like regular spinach and is similar when cooked. My rabbits, unfortunately, did not like it much.

I put the leaves in salads I make for my family. There is so much edible growing right outside our doors. We all need to recapture that knowledge for ourselves and for our rabbits.
It's a good thing to know... I've tried to like lambs quarters. I really have, but it's good to know that rabbits do like them. 🤣 I have lots of lettuce and spinach and cabbage seeds, though.

We have it. It grows in the spring; fast and tall--at least knee high. It pulls up very easily, even from hard, dry ground. I don't think the picture you have there is very representative. Try looking at some other images. It grows like crazy here in the SD central Black Hills, but maybe it's too wet where you are?

Thanks for the suggestion to look up more photos, Cindy! I have definitely had it growing in my garden from some topsoil we brought in. I was always concerned that it was some horrible noxious weed, but didn't have time to check it out. Glad to know what that mysterious plant is now!

Thanks, guys, for sharing how you have interacted with this plant; I always appreciate that!

I believe there are no “Weeds”, just plants we don’t know how to use or what their purpose is. My wife and I are learning as fast as we can, and it is truly exciting to find how so many plants have many, many benefits, and so versatile.

I've just recently started trying to see the value in all the "weeds" growing around our property! It's so exciting to find something new and look it up in the Picture This app, and then look up what benefits it might have and if rabbits can eat it! Just discovered some common vetch the other day, which is a really pretty nitrogen fixer, and plan to move some to my in-progress food forest area! Now if only someone could tell me the benefit of Bermuda grass, I'd agree with your "no weeds" philosophy!

Hey guys-

I bought seeds for an "improved" variety, magenta spreen, from pine tree. The iridescent on this one is hot pink. Looks like some one spritzed it with hot pink paint. Very ornamental and bigger leaves. I kept pinching tips (for me) until looked like a 4' Xmas tree. I let some go to seed for future crops. Very nutritious. I believe it helped with improvement in my osteoporosis. If your not fond of it in salads(we love it) try throwing some in stir fries or soup, or fried potatoes at the end till just wilted. Plan on trying some of older leaves and stems with rabbits.

I bought seeds for an "improved" variety, magenta spreen, from pine tree. The iridescent on this one is hot pink. Looks like some one spritzed it with hot pink paint. Very ornamental and bigger leaves. I kept pinching tips (for me) until looked like a 4' Xmas tree. I let some go to seed for future crops. Very nutritious. I believe it helped with improvement in my osteoporosis. If your not fond of it in salads(we love it) try throwing some in stir fries or soup, or fried potatoes at the end till just wilted. Plan on trying some of older leaves and stems with rabbits.

Sounds like another great plant to look into buying- thanks @dlynnwoiak ! Didn't know seed companies sell them, but it makes sense. I already planted the corn you suggested. ;)

So, it is a different species than the weed/common version, but it can grow 6-8 feet tall!!! Sounds like a plant to add to the corn patch...

Chenopodium gigantium (Magenta Spreen)

vs​

Chenopodium berlandieri (wild)

Very interested in trying it out. Was it difficult to keep from going to seed? Like constantly having to pinch off the flower heads? Or pretty low-maintenance?

So, it is a different species than the weed/common version, but it can grow 6-8 feet tall!!! Sounds like a plant to add to the corn patch...

Chenopodium gigantium (Magenta Spreen)

vs​

Chenopodium berlandieri (wild)

Very interested in trying it out. Was it difficult to keep from going to seed? Like constantly having to pinch off the flower heads? Or pretty low-maintenance?
Mine was only 4' tall, but I kept pinching it, we eat it all summer, and I steamed and froze for winter greens. I let some go to seed for next year's crop. It will reseed itself. But for me that's a plus.The smaller ones pull easy if you get too many. I let my garden be kind of wild. With lambs quarters, purslane (another yummy one you can get seeds for) sheep Sorrel, wood sorrel, violets, viola, bee balm, garlic, onion strawberry...popping up in my veggy patches. We eat them all and am hoping rabbits will like some of the tougher parts. Hope the corn does well for you it's the only corn I've ever had a successful crop from. (Small patch, short cool season). Now that I know rabbits may eat corn stalks I'm even more excited. I've been saving seed for about 7 years. Hang some bunches on the kitchen wall and plant the prettiest in the spring. I find soaking overnight they sprout weeks earlier. Happy planting!

Back