Kits!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People should've bought him when they had the chance

He's been having an attitude lately and bit me a few times, but this time he latched onto my arm and wouldn't let go for a good 5-7 seconds. He's [most likely] getting put down this weekend

I am thinking about culling 3 doe. Two, unfortunately, seem to have pinched hips. Any kits that will grow up to be larger than 6 ot 7 lbs seem be too big for both of them. They take forever to kindle, and give birth to kits who are either gasping for air or still born.

I am going put them both on diets, and see if they might just have too much fatty tissue. They are related, so for both of them to have the same issue makes me think genetics. Then again, both breeders I got them from handled them roughly. I tried palpating to feel for broken bones, or dislocations. I know nothing.

The third doe, a huge 11 to 12 lb purebred NZW. At least I was told she is purebred when I got her from a breeder. The breeder estimated her age at 3, and never had a pedigree on her. She said she could have gotten one, but did not want to pay the extra 10 bucks for it.

She has been a complete sweetheart until we bred her. She has bitten me three time in the last 3 months. I have been patient and understanding with her, but now I have anxiety over taking vare of her. We never saw any agression in her until we bred her.

She will be having another litter in about two weeks. I will be choosing her replacement from that litter. Maybe two, depends. She is a grear mom, but I need to take of my rabbits without fear of getting attacked.

Anyone live near 4 corners in Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado? I have a couple of gorgeous bucks that are looking for new digs too.

A proven Lionhead and his NZW mix son. Moony is a broken Siamese Sable, who weighs maybe 4 lbs. He is pet sized. A lover boy.

His son's dam is one of the doe with the pinched hips. He is a solid Siamese Sable, and only 1 of two kits who survived the kindling from that litter. The one shown in my avatar pic. The third is a lovely, but skittish Florida White. All three are handled quite often. Moony and his son, Chunk have been handled since very young ages. Moony was purchased at 7 weeks old, and his son was born and raised with us. The FW was a rescue we have had for about 7 months.

I am downsizing, and need to keep only the rabbits in my breeding programs. 😔

When a couple of our does were young and going through the teenage thing they got "attitude" and offered to bite, one did. Rabbits discipline each other by holding the offender's head down. I used that trick of holding their heads firmly down, saying NO! If you get a nip, in a loud high voice say EEEEEKKK!! and NO. I have never had either of them or any other rabbit bite me intentionally with that method. Hope that helps. I got between an angry doe and the buck once, trying to protect the buck! Got a good deep bite, lol, we use gloves now if doe is cranky.

When a couple of our does were young and going through the teenage thing they got "attitude" and offered to bite, one did. Rabbits discipline each other by holding the offender's head down. I used that trick of holding their heads firmly down, saying NO! If you get a nip, in a loud high voice say EEEEEKKK!! and NO. I have never had either of them or any other rabbit bite me intentionally with that method. Hope that helps. I got between an angry doe and the buck once, trying to protect the buck! Got a good deep bite, lol, we use gloves now if doe is cranky.
If a rabbit won't learn though, you do not want to breed with that rabbit as temperament is an inherited trait, just fyi.

I usually give them a tap on the nose, but I'll try and remember that

Latest posts

Back