Kits with red eye rims and mom with red nipples

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sashakaran

Reaction score
So I've got adorable kits on my hands :) My first litter seems to be doing very well! 16 days old and hopping in and out of the nest box, and nibbling on hay along with momma.

But I've noticed that since their eyes have opened, the rims around them look red. Before it didn't seem so pronounced.

20130211_154108.jpg

20130211_153409.jpg

I currently have them in a basket in the cage (it's a decent size for them and they can get in and out easily, just like I can take them out easier!) with some orchard grass, shavings, and a bit of their old nesting material (fur mixed with grass/shavings/hay).

20130211_153716.jpg

So what's with the redness? Is it a reaction to the shavings you think?

Also, I was just able to check mommma's mammaries, and the tips of her nipples are red, and they look like they would be painful. Any solutions for sore nipples for nursing does? The kits still have full bellies, so I'm sure she's still nursing!<br /><br />__________ Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:10 am __________<br /><br />Nobody? :( I tried doing a search, but "red" and "eye" seems too common together. I don't know what else to call it...

I'm really suprised no one commented on this.

I have no idea what it could be unless it's because of dust from the shavings.

And the doe ... I have no idea about that either. But I'm hoping that maybe my posting will help keep this at the top so you can maybe get some idea's from others! :)

BY the by... the doe just started sneezing the other day-- I thought it was from cleaning around the cages/ I sprinked DE on the ground underneath (she's about 1.5 feet off the ground)... but then I saw whitish snot.

I'm pretty much at my wits end. I feel like I've had the worst newbie luck/failures these past few months. The first litter I finally get to live past 2 days, and momma (who is an excellent mother) seems to be developing Pasturella!?!

ahhhhhhhhhhh :(

The eyes don't look that bad to me, but they do seem slightly irritated. Is there any discharge at all?

Chamomile tea makes a soothing eyewash, as does a tea made of calendula flowers. Vetericyn is also excellent for use in the eyes- no need to get the one specifically for eyes, the general purpose one is used in the dairy industry in cows' eyes on a daily basis according to a Rep I spoke to.

You might try changing out the bedding. It could be irritation from the hay or shavings. If you have a document shredder, I find that brown paper bags make nice material for the nestbox. Another option would be to use that fluffy paper pulp bedding they sell at pet stores.

Vetericyn would also be useful on the doe's teats. Some people use either chamomile or black tea bags as a compress for sore nipples, but the tannin can cause dryness, so do not use too frequently.

sashakaran":2pxdwr3i said:
The first litter I finally get to live past 2 days, and momma (who is an excellent mother) seems to be developing Pasturella!?!

Oh no! :( I would quarantine her and the litter away from you other rabbits so you can monitor her. Hopefully the kits wont develop any symptoms. :clover:

Back