Kit with swollen wound?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyldrose

Reaction score
My little chocolate kit had a bite wound and it's pretty swollen and the leg looks short? I don't know if it's from being swollen or not. Would you keep it around and see if it heals or cull?

Cull or wait and see if it heals? This was meant to be my keeper :(

Oh that's a tough one. I haven't gone through anything like that (haven't had kits yet), so I have no helpful, informed advice...

How'd it get the bite? Is it totally closed? If so, I'd give it a few more days. The other leg doesn't look shorter to me, just swollen to give the appearance. OTOH, you can't really risk the rest of the litter for this one...

She only had 2 this time, first litter was one live and 3 stillborns. So I think she got too carried away cleaning them and bit this one by mistake.
The bite is scabbed over, not seeping or bleeding.

I culled the black kit from the litter for snake food and fostered 2 lionhead kids to the doe. If the leg doesn't improve soon i'll cull it. It was worse last night so i'll give it a bit and see.

Does this kit seem to be suffering? For me, that is usually the bottom line. If not in severe pain or distress, I'm usually inclined to give it a bit of time. You can always cull later if it goes downhill.

I can't stress enough, how useful yarrow is for any sort of wound.

It is likely common in your area and growing well right now.

http://livingafield.com/Plants_Achillea_millefolium.htm

Young_Yarrow_04_Edit.jpg

This plant has astounded me on several occasions. Just chop some up and put it in contact with the wound. A tea of it works well too. It just simply heals any sort of wound. Stops bleeding, starts healing. I use it dry very often too. Once you try it, you will swear by it.

Yarrow is great, but once in a while you may find a person who has a sensitivity to it. I put some on my guy's nettle stings and he ended up with a nasty rash that was far worse then the original problem. It cleared up without problems, but I felt pretty bad about it. I use it for myself, but do recommend a patch test for anyone who has not used it before.

I just left her in the nest box and this is how it looks today

Swelling has gone way down! The leg still looks a bit short to me, but it's a big wound so I hope once it's done healing she's 100%

This is why I wanted to keep her:

Isn't she(hoping that its a girl) beautiful!!!

Awwww... SHE's sooooo cute! :p What a pretty color!

I really don't think the one leg is shorter... I think it's the swelling making it look that way. :) :clover:

More clovers for it to be a girl: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover:

SHE is darling, and her leg looks so much better! :p

I thought her leg was crooked in the first pics, but it was an illusion.

I agree with Miss M that it is the swelling making her leg look shorter.

Here's hoping she grows up to be a lovely doe! :clover: And not a buck...

I hope she's a girl so I can breed her back to her Dad!! So I can make some chocolates, chocolate rexes, chocolate astrexes(if Fuzzball is astrex) and chocolates :) I don't like chocolate dogs(yet I own a chocolate merel cocker spaniel) bit I sure like chocolate bunnies!!

Never ceases to amaze me how what seems like a catastrophic wound or injury can heal itself with a little bit of time. :) That is a LOVELY little DOE (fingers crossed!) and I agree, the leg only looks shorter due to swelling. I think SHE will be just fine!!!!!!!!

Her leg looks much better. I think the swelling is making her pull her leg up towards her body so it gives the appearance of being shorter but it isn't. Looks the same length, just a little swollen and pulling in in.

Sending healing thoughts that in another day she is better!

Glad she's doing better Wyldrose. I think she'll make a full recovery. I like her colour too.

Here is a good picture of the entire wound which looks better today too!

Poor girl! I'm going to need a good name for her :)

Scab fell off :) She's doing good! Eyes opened yesterday. She'll properly have quite the scar but I think she'll do just fine!!

Latest posts

Back