Kit Care

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TraceeLynn430

Reaction score
Good afternoon,
It seems I have somehow come to do unofficial "Bunny Rescue", and long story short, I have found myself with kits. (All but the most newly arrived/delivered buck are now neutered; please don't judge negatively, long story...) I've had some mamas seem disinterested in their kits before, and some seem to take good care, but I am ever vigilant and concerned. The mama who is causing me concern currently has only 3 of the 5 kits she kindled, as 2 unfortunately were found to already have passed on when we woke that morning she kindled. It does not bother her that they squeal when she steps on them, and they seem to be fed, though they never seem overly stuffed, which is a good thing, I'm almost certain, but what concerns me about her rearing of the kits: After the initial shock of my finding her having somehow gotten out of her indoor enclosure, having scoured the entire house for things she thought would make a suitable nest-including my favorite sweater she used as the base, assorted plastic bags, kitchen towels, a dress, thong, bra, washcloth, and some bills, to name a few items-then she decided to go underneath the reclining portion of the sofa and built her nest under there! Hey, kudos to her, because it was quite the secure location, NO ONE would potentially bother her there, but... I am sure it upset her that I relocated the nest back into the safety of her enclosure. She does not seem to mind using the entire enclosure as a litter box, and it was filthy, so I cleaned it all out, adding fresh bedding. Even before I did this, the kits would be on the solid plastic floor of the enclosure. My main question/concern is this: is this situation a bad thing? Even the other older litter, at about 10 days older than these, still stays on top of the bedding material and all huddle together. I changed their bedding out, as well. In my litter of concern, one kit also tends to be by him or herself much of the time. I don't really know how I could MAKE them stay in a "nest" or on top of the bedding, so any suggestions would be appreciated. This is the 6th litter in all my years that I have experienced, almost all surprise type situations (not going to explain here) so I have a little experience, but I am by no means an expert. Thank you in advance for your advice =:-3 Tracee

not sure what you are using for bedding.. the easiest way to make a nest that kits can stay in is plunk a box full of hay, then take your fist and make solid twisting motion to make a fist sized hole. Pluck some fur from the doe. Put it in the bottom, then put the kits in and pluck more fur to put on top of them.

To keep kits together the nest needs to be secure and fairly tight around them. As they grow their weight will push the nest out but keep it naturally tight around them.

I will try to do that- if they were in an actual nest box with sides, I'm sure it would be different... I guess it has a lot to do with them moving about. The enclosure in which she is staying right now is large enough for her to fully stretch out, eat on one end, void in the other corner (ideally) and I let her out for much of the day, so I don't really want to add an actual "box" that would take up space. (Probably my main issue though...) Thank you.

Unless you don't mind losing the kits, I would put them in a box. It doesn't need to be large- just big enough that when the doe is feeding she has an inch or so of clearance all around her.

Her cage sounds about the size that most production rabbits are kept in and they generally don't get out for exercise- so she should be just fine even with a box taking up space.

Additionally, you mention that she doesn't seem to care when she steps on the kits- rabbits are kind of clueless when it comes to realizing that kits are underfoot unless they are in a designated spot. She probably doesn't even realize she is stepping on them, she is just moving about the cage. Having them in a box, which she will enter only to nurse once or twice daily, should solve that problem as well.

TraceeLynn430":3hz1pdh7 said:
After the initial shock of my finding her having somehow gotten out of her indoor enclosure, having scoured the entire house for things she thought would make a suitable nest-including my favorite sweater she used as the base, assorted plastic bags, kitchen towels, a dress, thong, bra, washcloth, and some bills, to name a few items-then she decided to go underneath the reclining portion of the sofa and built her nest under there! Hey, kudos to her, because it was quite the secure location, NO ONE would potentially bother her there, but... I am sure it upset her that I relocated the nest back into the safety of her enclosure.

:lol: :lol: :lol: This is one of the funniest things I've ever heard!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Made my day! :D

Easy Ears":1dchatpg said:
TraceeLynn430":1dchatpg said:
After the initial shock of my finding her having somehow gotten out of her indoor enclosure, having scoured the entire house for things she thought would make a suitable nest-including my favorite sweater she used as the base, assorted plastic bags, kitchen towels, a dress, thong, bra, washcloth, and some bills, to name a few items-then she decided to go underneath the reclining portion of the sofa and built her nest under there! Hey, kudos to her, because it was quite the secure location, NO ONE would potentially bother her there, but... I am sure it upset her that I relocated the nest back into the safety of her enclosure.

:lol: :lol: :lol: This is one of the funniest things I've ever heard!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Made my day! :D

That was really amusing!

:judges:

I am glad my rendition of Inca's overnight adventure was an enjoyable read =:-3
I will probably just build her a traditional nest box in the morning, and I will probably use the ex-pen to give her more room; Inca is a bigger girl (and a good jumper!) I've never had an issue with any of my other does/litters, so this just has struck me as a concern. Thank you for suggestions <3

I use a small plastic tote bin (I think I got it from Walmart or Fred Meyers) and cut a hole in one end. My kits always seem to dig to the bottom whether there is hay and fur in it anyway. I don't mind much since I check them multiple times a day and just put them back on top. :)

I have used those plastic bins for litter boxes in the past when I have come to find myself with more new buns and not enough supplies on hand to go around... I have quite a few on hand, so maybe I will just use one of those. (I haven't played with any lumber or power tools lately, so I think I'm just looking for a good excuse to go make something else, lol!) This morning we decided to pick up some mats to put underneath, just so they aren't on the plastic; they may help hold the bedding in place, too, so we will see. Thank you to all for your input.

Back