Kindled today - should I move kits indoors in this heat?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maniacmama

Reaction score
Howdy,

Brand new breeder here. The rabbitry I purchased my breeding trio from told me that I could breed one last time before summer issues set in if I do so by mid-May. I did just that. Unfortunately Central Texas has broken record highs and experiencing weather pattern changs and now we have hit the 100 degree plus mark for the last weekish. Yesterday it was 105! I have never heard of a breeder PRAYING that the breeding didn't work - but I have been. It has been a labor intensive process to keep my adult bunnies cool, can't imagine how to do so for kits. :? I would rather have no kits than dying due to heat kits!

My prayers have not been heard. This morning doe #2 has 9 pink, larger than I expected, wiggling kits in her box. (Doe 1 has nothing) Should I move the nesting box indoors with the kits during the day? If so at what point? 90 degrees, more or less? It is currently 7:30am and 80 degrees. They are Californian rabbits.

I have been executing the following daily routine for the last 3 weeks... would it work for the kits too? Or should they come indoors regardless of these efforts?

hutches under several large pin oak trees - check
Frozen Water bottles changed out every 2 hours - check
mister fan - check
misting ears every 2 hours - check
pillow cases soaked in water hung over those unshady spots changed every 1-2 hours - check
16" square frozen ceramic tiles changed out every 2 hours - check

Thank you in advance for all of your input!

The Dam only feeds the kits once per day,
most often in the early AM. You could move the nestbox
full of kits inside and bring it out to the Dam
in the morning for feeding, which should take 5 Min or less.
back in the hose they can/should go. You can also
remove some of the pulled fur, though the kits will usually
crawl to the top when they are hot and burrow down when they are cold.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Back