keeping slime out of auto watering system? Mineral block?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brucesquatch

Reaction score
I am in the process of redoing my rabbit cages and adding an auto watering system and am wondering if salting the water a small bit and/or adding a mineral block to the water might keep the system from sliming up?

I have heard that auto waterers are used to dispense meds and other nutrients in various livestock operations, so I thought that might work as well.

I am looking to migrate to sprouts this fall/winter and so will have mineral blocks around for them free choice, but in the watering system at least seams like it might work well?

Any thoughts?

Thanks all...ACV...heck, I give that to them to put them in the mood to breed...well, the bunny's new digs might just look like a party pad!

How often should ACV be added to the water? Also what affect would this have on the rabbit nutrition, particularily in a commercial rabbitry that is feeding hay and grain?

Most people who use ACV add it regularly to the rabbits' drinking water. It provides some trace minerals and will certainly not harm them.

It occurs to me that salt should never be mixed into anything the rabbits cannot avoid, the exception being commercial pellets which presumably are scientifically formulated. Adding it to water (apart from the corrosion) could result in the rabbits getting too much salt... which could be very harmful. A trace mineral salt block lets them lick what they need.

Back