Kedusha had her foxy kits! Color help? UPDATE 15th! Pictures

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, they are all over the place! Surprise rainbow!
Smoke Pearl is what the breeder of the parent's thinks this kit will turn into.

Breeder didn't realize the two rabbits [parents of these kits] he sold me had the sable in them, say's they were crossbred 5-6gen back. I don't mind the colors, unfortunately, I won't be able to sell these kits as pedigreed fox. =(

Silver fox, I call them Fox for short. I can't sell these with pedigrees because they were outcrossed 4-5 generations back and these random colors are still cropping up everywhere and easily. Thus, I can't sell them with pedigrees and pure without feeling it's wrong. I mean, I could sell them and disclose the issue, but it would be much easier to just sell the pure Foxes and keep this pair separate for just dinner rabbits. Also don't want to be hated on in the future like others are being hounded and bashed for selling stock with surprise improper colors on facebook and forums, it's stupid and easily avoidable.

Silver fox
Hokey Crud!

And I thought I was having problems with my 'purebred' and pedigreed AmChin who carries REW and non-extension!

say's they were crossbred 5-6gen back.
then WHY do they have blue and white in their pedigree!?! How do you even see silver in a white rabbit !

I could sell them and disclose the issue, but it would be much easier to just sell the pure Foxes
they "look" pure but will carry on these genes to the next unspecting Silver Fox buyer. Please disclose the possibility they carry shaded, blue, or REW

That's what I said, Dood.
This pair will be for making dinner kits only. Selling the pure kits is from my other Foxes that don't have white in them nor do they have w/e this new color is.

They are Silver Fox, but 5-6 generations back, someone introduced another rabbit into them. That happens all the time and that's how way back when, they tried to make more foxes because they were so rare and now people do it to make new colors. Technically, if body, size, shape, fur all stays the same, just in a new color, it's still the same breed.

What do you mean 'why' to blue being in the pedigree? Silver fox is recognized in black only right now, they are working on accepting chocolate. There are also blue, lilac, white and red foxes, all colors that existed back in the day.

Blue is one step away. I sure would like to be there during special presentations, I'm so sure she's gonna pass this time.

Crappy cellphone pictures, had to switch back to my old laptop that doesn't have a working sd card slot. :/
Blacks are finally black looking! They hop out of the nest on their own now.
Jasna is overly interested when the kits jump out of the nest, maybe she is jealous...idk
Same one kit hounds mom for more milk, it's the bigger of them all
image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

Whoa! And now they are black again! :shock:

I think your dinner kits are fun! Never a dull moment, eh? :D

Yup, and now that they are finally out of the nest, I get to see them attempt to binky! One even found the water bottle!<br /><br />__________ Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:44 pm __________<br /><br />
1385226_642766202423558_196621399_n.jpg

1385737_642766725756839_1025530385_n.jpg

So this pair produced kits with bad legs. They also produce this odd color, tiniest one as well, so the pair will be for meat only. =(

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

They all look Silver Fox... that one just has an excessive amount of silver for the breed......which is wild as mom is hardly silvered at all. Nothing wrong with most of the kits, so don't understand why you would not show them to see how they stack up. I have never seen a SF kit so maybe that would be a normal thing in a litter to have one look a little different or "silver" a little earlier than the rest? I agree it was somewhat weird growing and looked like so many different and unusual colours but here it now looks SF not siamese sable as it first appeared. Have you shown these pics to any Silver Fox groups for opinions? I am sure there are a couple good ones on Facebook where you could post these pics. Your doe and litter look very nice though, and I for one would hesitate to FC all these kits or the doe!

To the best of my knowledge, SF kits are born with no silvering that you can see. I don't know of an SF kit being born with silvering... Although, one of mine had silver extremely early (and now he's a very heavily silvered). I didn't raise him, so I'm not sure if he had silvering when he was born.

But take that with a grain of salt, because I'm pretty new to SF, and I don't show.

I have also never heard of them being born silvered. First they're solid black (or blue, or whatever) and the silvering comes in later. You might see some as early as...4 weeks, I guess? But not from birth.

That one kit doesn't look silvered to me, anyway. I have a heavily silvered buck, and that's something else.

SB

Also, my heavily silvered buck did not look heavily silvered when he was young. He had normally distributed silvering when he was young (again, I think he was born black with no silvering), and then kept getting more and more silver as he matured. Now he's extremely silvered.

They are born a solid color, the silvering comes in later, 5-12wks.
I have asked the FB groups, they are the ones who told me it is a Sable Point* and the line was outcrossed 4-5 generations back.
Hardcore SF breeders will 'lose their minds' if I sell these as pure, they don't want this to continue and for it to be hidden like it is. I didn't know this color was in the two rabbits I bought, peds had nothing but black, white and a blue SF in them, the outcrossed was further back.
The breeder I got them from is now doing heavy culling to get rid of this line with this particular outcrossing, all the hardcore breeders are praising him for it. I love rainbows, but I don't like the chance that someone will/could find this color and then claim I am selling mutts.

*SORRY, IT'S A SABLE POINT, not a smoke pearl.*
This is a picture of one of these grown up. I'm going to ask permission to use this picture, so it might vanish before anyone really sees it.
1379652_1428349310725660_1548739730_n.jpg

__________ Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:17 pm __________

Had to change the picture and color name. The mystery kit is a male and a Sable Point.

__________ Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:55 am __________

Couple days from 5wks. I'll be weaning them once they get to 5wks and then they'll have a larger JFeeder filled all the time for them. They just barely finish the smaller feeder in a day, there's only 4 of them after all.
Black buck, 1.80
Black doe, 1.46
Black buck, 1.38
Sable buck, 1.18<br /><br />__________ Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:00 pm __________<br /><br />
image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php
image.php

I had a kit that was similar in color to that last one. Don't know what that color is called, but cute! :x

my kit was a NZW blue Flemish giant cross.

I resexed the biggest buck, hoping it's a female. It looks like it might get a visit from the scf! Really hope so, I need a big doe to get these lines growing up fast.

__________ Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:30 pm __________

Oct 17th weaned weights-
1 Sable buck, 1.18
2 Black buck, 1.38
3 Black doe, 1.46
4 Black buck, 1.80

Oct 22nd updated weights-
1 Sable buck, 1.75
2 Black buck, 2.05
3 Black doe, 2.07
4 Black buck, 2.46

Gain list for 5 days, average of .62, little over half a pound in 5 days. 0.124 gain a day. So 0.868 gain in a week. Hopefully the math is done right, hah. That's slightly under a pound a week, hopefully they continue to gain this well at least!

But this makes me wonder, what are the normal gains for a kit nursing and a kit nursing as well as eating pellets [the gray area of no longer solely milk, but also not weaned yet]?
The milk would have to be super nutritious mixed with good genetics for them to gain a pound a week from birth, which, I've never heard of anyone having a one pound, one week old kit! Seems like they kick off once weaned, no?
I think I'll ask this in a separate thread...<br /><br />__________ Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:52 pm __________<br /><br />
image.php

image.php

Back