Jerusalem Artichoke for Rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry they won't work for you! What general area do you live in? I am curious to know if they are as big of a problem with spreading in northern climates as well as warmer ones. Do the deer eat the plants?
Live in northern Wisconsin. Deer love them. That's why I put them in garden. I dug 2 5 gallon pails and dumped on another piece of land we own. They were gone in 2 days, even dug up those I planted.

I grow them specifically for my rabbits in Ohio. I feed the smaller stems and leaves all summer. Dig about half in the fall to feed and dig the other half in the late winter early spring before they sprout. Works great that way for me!

Anyone know how well Jerusalem Artichokes can grow in dry, cold northern states?
Supposedly they will self propagate in any clime where the ground doesn't freeze solid. If you are so far north that this may be a concern you can always cellar them. A cellar could merely be a plastic bucket with damp sand kept in a cool, place. Cool would be something below 60F to discourage sprouting.

I live in NNY Zone 4 (-25F) and they come up with a vengeance every spring.
I live in PA, zone 6a. I have Jerusalem artichokes, as well. However, I have been able to successfully move their beds to a new location in my yard twice. I have found that when I dig up the vast majority of the choke tubers to relocate, inevitably a few are missed and left behind. Because it was my plan to totally eradicate them from the previous location, I simply and persistently pull up any left-behinds as if it were a weed. I have found this eventually causes them to die off in the old location. Left undisturbed or intermittently disturbed, yes, they will come back year after year and act as if it were like any other aggressive plant, but if you are persistent in pulling them out, they are quite easily controlled. I even pull the new shoots from the new location in order to keep the bed to the size I prefer.

....., I simply and persistently pull up any left-behinds as if it were a weed. I have found this eventually causes them to die off in the old location. Left undisturbed or intermittently disturbed, yes, they will come back year after year and act as if it were like any other aggressive plant, but if you are persistent in pulling them out, they are quite easily controlled. I even pull the new shoots from the new location in order to keep the bed to the size I prefer.
Gardening takes at least a little bit of work. I'm always amazed at gardeners that want low-maintenance plants. i.e. some plant that is a cross between plastic and stainless steel. 10 minutes of weeding / grooming a day can work wonders, if you are persistent. That is less than the time we spend vacuuming the carpet.

Gardening takes at least a little bit of work. I'm always amazed at gardeners that want low-maintenance plants. i.e. some plant that is a cross between plastic and stainless steel. 10 minutes of weeding / grooming a day can work wonders, if you are persistent. That is less than the time we spend vacuuming the carpet.
True, but I also understand how easily life can overwhelm us. Then priorities take over and things like weeds and aggressive plants get a foot hold. I just want to encourage those considering Jerusalem artichokes to know they are manageable so long as they are tended to. That said, if you are growing them to feed rabbits or other livestock, the act of foraging them is identical to persistently tending to them, so they will naturally be controlled so long as they are being used for food.

Back