Jack-A-Lop rabbits did exist, was Papilloma

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love to have a rabbit with horns on the face :twisted: Why do I read these things while I'm eating....didn't need to see worts on the anus. Gross. :sick:

Yep, very closely related to HPV, or Human Papilloma Virus.... Here are a few of the Human Variety for your viewing pleasure... :twisted:

The "Tree Man" of Indonesia
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... CMC1Hnjq3g

"Ram Woman"
ram-woman.jpg

Cutaneous Horn on hand
giant cutaneous horn.jpg

__________ Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:25 am __________

To see more images, Google "cutaneous horn"...view at your own risk! :twisted:

The rabbit story is awesome. I watched a tv special on the tree man a few years back. What an amazing story. Thanks for sharing.

Too bad the growths become malignant- some of the rabbits looked pretty neat!

I wonder if the myth of Unicorns is related to this as well?

MamaSheepdog":2sjk8gvb said:

I had read of goats whose "horn buds" were basically on top of each other, either by result of head trauma while young, or sometimes born that way, but the result was the horns twisted together as they grew, resulting in a single spiral horn in appearance. I think this was a Ripley's sort of thing, as it went on to say some goats were surgically altered in this way, for roadside "attractions" in the early 1900's, as apparently the buds sort of "float" and are easily moved or removed. But maybe goats or horses are also affected by pappilloma?<br /><br />__________ Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:22 pm __________<br /><br />I now have an interesting side-note to my "rabbits in the middle ages" bit my group wants me to do in January!

MamaSheepdog":4zkepsm5 said:

That would be a great question. I bet anything you are right about the unicorns. Just a horse with the same mutation of cells that can effect rabbits and human. I'd assume anything with skin and DNA can be infected with it. I watched the tree man last year and thought it was a unique situation. Definitely something you don't see everyday. I do feel for the people that are affected by this though as you know they can't go anywhere without people staring at them like they have 3 eyes or whatever it may be.

OneAcreFarm":rrundl49 said:
Yep, very closely related to HPV, or Human Papilloma Virus.... Here are a few of the Human Variety for your viewing pleasure...
= now I wonder about stories of Devils with curved horns, too!

Piper":1nt9vb7w said:
OneAcreFarm":1nt9vb7w said:
Yep, very closely related to HPV, or Human Papilloma Virus.... Here are a few of the Human Variety for your viewing pleasure...
= now I wonder about stories of Devils with curved horns, too!

Like the Jersey Devil? Could have been this rare disease show it's ugly face?

Thanks Piper. Truly appreciate you sharing that. Was very interesting and educational.

Karen

MamaSheepdog":2dc9jxhq said:

I'd read someplace that unicorns were a description of rhinos from the middle ages. Mix in stories regarding the Eastern beliefs about rhino horn and voilá, instant magical creature.

Hmm....something to do.....time to google early natural history stories. :?

3mina":73a9fyg9 said:
I'd read someplace that unicorns were a description of rhinos from the middle ages.
The Bible mentions the unicorn, speaking of its great strength and saying basically that it would not be likely that you could tame it, or harness it and use it as a farm animal.

The name for the Indian rhino is Rhinoceros unicornis, as it has one horn. Many believe that this is the unicorn of the Bible. :)

Rhinos would make excellent draft animals if they weren't so nasty! :x

I can't imagine a fair maiden with a Rhino laying its head in her lap. :?

MamaSheepdog":5blsu4jp said:
I can't imagine a fair maiden with a Rhino laying its head in her lap. :?

Am I the only one with images of squashed maidens in my head?

Definitely interesting article. And I thought reading about bot flies were bad.

The Shope fibroma virus was discovered in 1931 by R.E. Shope. It is found mainly on the US continent, among the cottontail (Sylvilagus floridanus) population. It was soon realized that the virus is transmissible between cottontails and rabbits. A viral infection results in the development of gross and microscopic lesions called fibromas.
The virus is spread through bites of blood seeking insect (e.g. fleas, mosquitoes). Once a cutaneous cell is infested, it will undergo a transformation leading to the formation of a tumor.
Shope showed by different experimental techniques that the fibroma virus is related to the myxoma virus. This property is nowadays exploited by using the live Shope fibroma virus to vaccinate against myxomatosis.

European hares are known to carry a virus (Leporipoxvirus) responsible for fibromatous diseases. Rabbits are susceptible to this virus. Clinical signs include the growth of numerous skin nodules (up to 2.5 cm in size) on the face, eyelids and around the ears. The transmission mode of this virus is unknown.

Thanks Piper, definitely an eye opening, educational article. I wonder if some domestic rabbits who escape and run with wild rabbits could get this? Maybe look like a vent disease but actually tumors? I know this states eyes, ears, but the other article talks about tumors on the anus. The mosiquitos were terrible this year. Just a thought.

Karen

Latest posts

Back