Ivermectin for lactating doe?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi. I posted a thread in the illness section for my buck who has a heavy fur mite load. Two does are housed in the same wooden hutch separated only by wire in between. I've isolated out the buck and treated and cleaned his area but not sure how much to mess with the does right now. They don't look to have an infestation but they both kindled their litters yesterday and I don't want to mess with them too much. Should I wait a bit to administer Ivermectin or go ahead. I put a little DE on their backs and their cages were cleaned just before kindling. Thank you.

Hi. I posted a thread in the illness section for my buck who has a heavy fur mite load. Two does are housed in the same wooden hutch separated only by wire in between. I've isolated out the buck and treated and cleaned his area but not sure how much to mess with the does right now. They don't look to have an infestation but they both kindled their litters yesterday and I don't want to mess with them too much. Should I wait a bit to administer Ivermectin or go ahead. I put a little DE on their backs and their cages were cleaned just before kindling. Thank you.
I'd probably hold off for a while if I didn't see any indication that the does are having problems, Fur mites are funny in that not all the rabbits in a barn will necessarily catch them, and they aren't usually an emergency. Using the DE, maybe sprinkling it around their hutches in cracks/corners where mites might hide, is probably the way I'd go. Keep your eye on things and you can always pull out the ivermectin if you need to in a week or so, when the does are a little less stressed about new kits.

If you do find that the does have mites, and want to treat them before the kits are weaned, I'd be inclined to do it between weeks 1-3. Once the kits reach 3 weeks, they head into the time span when weaning enteritis can become an issue, and I don't like to do anything then that might upset their guts, like changing or adding new foods or medicines.

Or, you could just keep using DE, and wait till the kits are weaned before treating with ivermectin. Again, fur mites aren't usually an emergency.

I'd probably hold off for a while if I didn't see any indication that the does are having problems, Fur mites are funny in that not all the rabbits in a barn will necessarily catch them, and they aren't usually an emergency. Using the DE, maybe sprinkling it around their hutches in cracks/corners where mites might hide, is probably the way I'd go. Keep your eye on things and you can always pull out the ivermectin if you need to in a week or so, when the does are a little less stressed about new kits.

If you do find that the does have mites, and want to treat them before the kits are weaned, I'd be inclined to do it between weeks 1-3. Once the kits reach 3 weeks, they head into the time span when weaning enteritis can become an issue, and I don't like to do anything then that might upset their guts, like changing or adding new foods or medicines.

Or, you could just keep using DE, and wait till the kits are weaned before treating with ivermectin. Again, fur mites aren't usually an emergency.
Apple cider vinegar in the water.

How much vinegar: water, and how does it help?
I use 2 tablespoons per gallon of water.
It helps because it creates an unfavourable host for the mites so they won’t touch your rabbits.
My Rabbits love the apple cider vinegar and it has other health benefits for rabbits as well.

I use 2 tablespoons per gallon of water.
It helps because it creates an unfavourable host for the mites so they won’t touch your rabbits.
My Rabbits love the apple cider vinegar and it has other health benefits for rabbits as well.
But buy apple cider vinegar organic with the mother it’s called.

Back