It's just not true.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have trays and I love the rabbits that poop in the corner. I scoop every other day and the whole thing is done. If it is really bad I roll it all up in the newspaper like a burrito and out it goes.

All of my rabits are on wire, some on hardware cloth and some on 1x1/2 14 ga. either way I always make sure they have a nice bed of straw on top of the wire and haven't seen any sign of sore hocks yet

lostcreekrabbits":26grm3rp said:
All of my rabits are on wire, some on hardware cloth and some on 1x1/2 14 ga. either way I always make sure they have a nice bed of straw on top of the wire and haven't seen any sign of sore hocks yet

Doesn't the straw hold urine and poop though?

Cattle Cait":1eyx09lt said:
We clean about twice a month, but the poop is still not up through the floor by then ...how shallow are your guys' trays that they come up through the floor that fast?

the trays in the stacker are probably less than two inches deep easily.

lostcreekrabbits":mxmex1us said:
The poo corner gets cleaned out every couple days

If you have hay in the cages and they are pooping and peeing on it, wouldn't you want to be cleaning it out daily? Coccidia oocysts hatch in 24 hours....

OneAcreFarm":kq0b97nf said:
lostcreekrabbits":kq0b97nf said:

If you have hay in the cages and they are pooping and peeing on it, wouldn't you want to be cleaning it out daily? Coccidia oocysts hatch in 24 hours....

I guess I may have misrepresented my situation, they all have a small corner of their cage (cages are 36x24) that they do their business in, I wouldn't let them be standing around in fecal matter

lostcreekrabbits":2omzehje said:
OneAcreFarm":2omzehje said:
lostcreekrabbits":2omzehje said:

I guess I may have misrepresented my situation, they all have a small corner of their cage (cages are 36x24) that they do their business in, I wouldn't let them be standing around in fecal matter

Ah...so it is not the WHOLE floor that is bedded with hay? That would make the difference for sure... :)

Oh no, I leave the bathroom area clear of straw, the bigger doe's cocoa puffs don't fall through the hardware cloth which is pretty annoying (plans this spring for reflooring in 1x1/2 14ga.) and I have one doe due to kindle on the 22nd who is already getting big mouthfulls of straw and taking them over to a corner of the cage and then somehow manages to push 90% throught he floor of the cage so she gets fresh straw everyday (maybe it's all part of the plan :lol: )

lostcreekrabbits":4v3lj1ij said:
Oh no, I leave the bathroom area clear of straw, the bigger doe's cocoa puffs don't fall through the hardware cloth which is pretty annoying (plans this spring for reflooring in 1x1/2 14ga.) and I have one doe due to kindle on the 22nd who is already getting big mouthfulls of straw and taking them over to a corner of the cage and then somehow manages to push 90% throught he floor of the cage so she gets fresh straw everyday (maybe it's all part of the plan :lol: )

Yup, they have their weird bunny ways...I don't even pretend to understand some of them...

OneAcreFarm":2o7shav5 said:
lostcreekrabbits":2o7shav5 said:

Yup, they have their weird bunny ways...I don't even pretend to understand some of them...

hahaha, yeah, my FG/Giant Chin doe used to wolf down her pellets every morning and then proceed to pick up her food dish and place it in her water bowl (switched to a hopper feeder after a week or so of that)

All of my rabbits poop in just one corner, and yes the poop can come up thru the wire in just 3 days. My answer is to turn the tray, giving the rabbit a clean corner to fill, before it piles up too much. I also spread it out and add more sawdust over it with my rabbits that are poop machines, or in a cage with multiple rabbits. My trays are about 2 and a half inches deep, so can fill quickly. I try to do one stack a day (six trays) and check others randomly and empty the really dirty ones. I have 30 trays down in the bunny barn, and another twenty in the underdeck rabbitry, no way I can do them all in one day anymore, kills my back. Turning the trays really has been helpful, and it is easier to just scoop out that corner as well.

:lol: LostCreek ... my meat rabbit doe does that ... no matter how much or little hay she will push at least half of it through the wire.

When the doe kindled, I took brown paper sacks and spread them out on the floor, except for the bathroom corner, and then layered it with hay so the babies wouldn't get their little feet and legs stuck. As she had them weaned by 3 weeks, it lasted just long enough for them to be moved inside.

Back