Is this cage big enough for TWO rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Measurements are:
56" x 84" WITH a 48" second shelf, is this big enough? it is 42" high. for 2 house rabbits that are around 5-7lbs so medium sized. they will get free time outside their cage this is just for when I'm busy/ not home. It seems roomy? But that may be because I've never had a cage that big, I really want to make sure it is roomy enough.

I would say it is plenty big enough for 2 rabbits that size.
Make sure they have grown up together, or are spayed/neutered. Two adult rabbits don't generally like to just be thrown together to live.

I am aware, I just didn't want to bore you all with long details :roll: one of them is only 3 months but they get supervised play time together and are actually pretty normal around each other but I know that she will soon mature sexually and I do plan on spaying her as soon as my rabbit savvy vet will allow. After she is spayed, then I will seriously focus on bonding, I'm sure the pre bonding phase now will help since they are not fighting or anything.

You'd have to go on pretty badly before we'd get bored. :) We're always asking for more information to help us answer questions.

Good work finding a rabbit-savvy vet! There aren't many.

If they are both does, I don't know that you have to spay them, though I think it's supposed to prolong the life of a doe that is not being bred. If one is a buck, you probably want to neuter him, as he could start marking things in your house, or harass the doe.

The cage is indeed quite roomy! :)

I look forward to pictures! :razz: Welcome to RabbitTalk!

Ah well in that case, one of them is a male but he has been neutered since early jan and thank you! Yes I am very fortunate to have found a good rabbit vet near me! She is also the official spay/ neuter vet for 2 (or maybe more, but I know she is for at least 2) rabbit rescues in my area. :) And thanks, I just can't wait for her to get spayed and heal and bond them together for real. I miss having just one cage in my room although it is the biggest one yet :roll: Here are some pictures! I actually took all of these earlier today :D

Attachments

• photo copy.JPG
    photo copy.JPG
    35 KB
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    22.9 KB
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    37.8 KB
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    39.6 KB
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    49.2 KB
if he is neutered you may not have to get her done. Seriously. Why put her through surgery unless she needs it? Surgery is a risk to their health.

Many does don't get hormonal and are just fine.

Surgery is NOT proof against cervical cancer (I know this since a gal I know just bought a rabbit from me last fall who was spayed, got cancer and subsequently died). Surgery is helpful if you have a doe who is all hormonal... not letting you into her space, peeing on you etc. But many many does are just fine without needing the surgery. :)

I don't really see how it is a risk to her health, I suppose the anaesthetic and the whole procedure does have its risks, but so does not having the surgery. I haven't really done any in depth research on the benefits/ advantages of fixing your rabbits but I know the bare basics, not sure which out weighs the other though. I agree spaying does NOT prevent cancer all together but it does decrease the chances of your rabbit having cancer, or that's what I heard. Personally, i think spaying her will be best, as I had a dog in the past who was not spayed and died of cancer at the age of 6 or 7. I feel like if I spayed her then she would still be alive now. So I'd rather do it and decrease her chance of getting cancer, even if she does get it - God forbid - but then i would know that I did try to prevent her from getting cancer by spaying her

I have a neutered pair living together just fine, and a pair where only the male is neutered, also doing okay. It's all about the rabbit's temperament. I'm saying you could let them check out the big cage together and keep them together now. Watch how things go. If she starts getting all bossy--beyond the minor head shove over who gets the banana, give her the snip.

That was my original plan, but after reading so many stories - most of which were bad but some were successful. I think it'd just be best to wait until after I spayed her? Because I am, no doubt, going to spay her. If she were to get cancer at age 4-5 I would feel so guilty. I know there is still a possibility for her to get cancer even though I spay her but still. With that being said, I am going to separate them until a month or maybe half a month (granted that she isn't hormonal before I spay her) after I spay her so her stitches will heal before I put them together

Hi, Lifeasweknowit,

The issue with spaying a rabbit doe is that rabbits are very sensitive to drugs/medicaitons and sometimes the surgery may be a success but the patient will still die. Good luck!

Don't get too worried! cancer is pretty uncommon in rabbits, and so is deaths from spaying by rabbit savvy vets. So, in all likelihood, things will work out just great!

Thank you so much! But because of past experiences I would feel more responsible if I got her fixed, which may not always be the case but still. Thank you HRanchito, that sure does relieve some of my worries!

Dear "Life", there is no way you can hold yourself responsible for everything that happens with and to rabbits....they are very delicate creatures. They can break themselves just jumping for joy and landing wrong....Yes, do what you can to protect them in our human world, but know that the movie will be a tear-jerker if you stay until the end. (I may be in a dismal post-holiday state of mind, so take that with a spool of salt.) :geek:

-HRanchito":1ypfdwil said:
Don't get too worried! cancer is pretty uncommon in rabbits, and so is deaths from spaying by rabbit savvy vets.

This is the important thing, Life... since rabbits are extremely sensitive to anesthetic agents, please make sure that the vet is experienced with rabbits...most are not. Honestly, if you are having the male neutered, I would not bother spaying the doe, unless she develops hormonal issues. Her getting cancer is NOT a given. The reason you read so much about it is that people generally only post about it when they DO develop it. For every unspayed rabbit that gets cancer, there are hundreds, if not thousands, that DO NOT. That being said, do what feels right to you for your rabbits. And....

:welcome:

we are glad to have you aboard!

Very true, but if by the off chance she does it (even if the chances are low) I would feel like it's my fault, but we'll see she's only 3 months! Hopefully she doesn't get hormonal or lose her litter box habits. The vet I had in mind is very rabbit savvy and is the official spay/ neuter vet for at least 2 rescues that I know of in my area, but it really all depends on if she gets hormonal or something so we'll see! And thank you it's great to be a part of a wonderful forum :)

Back