Intro

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I so did not mean to imply you don’t value your pups, not at all. I just know that for many, dogs are both workers and companions, and I was trying to draw the distinction that mine have never been expected to be working animals. They’re like spoilt children in a way.

I’m way softer with them than is probably practical, because of where we live and the inherent wildlife dangers. Of which I was reminded last night, when the littlest dog decided to have a lick of neurotoxic toad {sigh}. Fortunately the first aid for that is rinse mouth, gums with running water for several minutes, then observe the comedy that is a dog on a wild acid toad trip.

I totally added Toad Hunter & Assassin to my resume after he was back to normal function. Found two hiding on the patio & dispached them.
Yes, my other Brittney bites toads, then does the foamy mouth/shaking head thing. Never learns. So stupid. I think it is an instinct thing for her. Something moves, she catches it. Night after night.

Last edited:
I live in the high desert in SoCal. 2 hours drive to Yuma, 5 miles to the US/Mexico border. We had rattle snake problems til we got Peacocks. They took care of my snake problem in 1 year. Maybe that could work for you.
Peacocks are the coolest farm addition. I had no idea they provided protection either, but it makes sense since they're basically a giant rooster. How well do they interact with the rabbits?

Peacocks are the coolest farm addition. I had no idea they provided protection either, but it makes sense since they're basically a giant rooster. How well do they interact with the rabbits?
They don't interact with the rabbits, turkeys, goats, or sheep at all. The rabbits are in cages. The species kinda stick together. They just roam around the pasture eating and pooping til night when they go in their security pens.

They don't interact with the rabbits, turkeys, goats, or sheep at all. The rabbits are in cages. The species kinda stick together. They just roam around the pasture eating and pooping til night when they go in their security pens.
Do you ever get bothered by the noise? One of our neighbors (not close by) had some and they got pretty loud

Do you ever get bothered by the noise? One of our neighbors (not close by) had some and they got pretty loud
No. But we are on 15 acres so I only hear them when I'm nearby. Neighbors haven't said anything so I'm not sure if they hear them. The male is the one who calls out. I have 2 males and 3 hens. My rooster is noisier than them.

No. But we are on 15 acres so I only hear them when I'm nearby. Neighbors haven't said anything so I'm not sure if they hear them. The male is the one who calls out. I have 2 males and 3 hens. My rooster is noisier than them.
Also cooo-rAW is a prettier noise than ACKAROOooOOo. Do the hens provide anything? Eggs?

Also cooo-rAW is a prettier noise than ACKAROOooOOo. Do the hens provide anything? Eggs?
To me it sounds more like a high pitched HELP. The hens lay a few eggs and I let them hatch them out. The chicks are ready to go at about 3 months old. I sell the chicksfor about 150$ each. But they do not lay like chickens at all.

To me it sounds more like a high pitched HELP. The hens lay a few eggs and I let them hatch them out. The chicks are ready to go at about 3 months old. I sell the chicksfor about 150$ each. But they do not lay like chickens at all.
Creepy! Is there a certain breed of peacock? The ones back in Texas sounded so gentle. Amazed that the chicks sell for so much! I might be getting a breeding pair next year then. Thanks for all the insider info

Creepy! Is there a certain breed of peacock? The ones back in Texas sounded so gentle. Amazed that the chicks sell for so much! I might be getting a breeding pair next year then. Thanks for all the insider info
The price here is kinda like real estate. Location, location, location.

Latest posts

Back