Instead of black points...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyctra

Reaction score
What if there was a Californian with red points? lol I want to see this. XD

If I bred a red to a cal, then bred the chestnutty ones together, I could get Rudolph noses on the babies, right? :?

The ee with ch might play havoc on your idea. Himis that just have ee in their background often have missing sections to their points. I have one. He has a sable point background and all he has for himi markings are rings around his ears.

If you get him in the cold he has a very light nose marking and tinted ears otherwise at room temp or all summer he just has these rings. And he's black based. Red would be even lighter.
DSCN0550.jpg

I have a lil mutt that looks like a cali (father is solid black, built like a new zealand, but sold to me as a cali, and the mother is part dutch part who knows what :p)..but in person his points are a rust colored brown not black..maybe if I can get a good pic of it ill post for you to see...but he hates posing for pics :p

My himi doe looks kind of like that, akane. But she has a really nice sized face marking. When I first bought her, back in April, her coloring was pretty even, but after the hot summer we had she faded out a lot. I guess it's just not been cold enough this winter yet for her color to fill back in nicely. But your pic makes me wonder about there possibly being ee in her background. I don't have the most reliable pedigree on her and the breeder won't answer my calls or emails. :evil:

Found a pic of her...this is before the heat of summer set in.

Attachments

• China.jpg
    China.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 548
It's very common in the netherland dwarf that breed sable point. I saw a shaded netherland breeder with a whole carrier of himis like that. You've got to have a himi gene to go with the sable gene so you are always getting himis out of any type of sable breeding program. The ones with ee backgrounds all have ringed ears.

Right, but wouldn't it be better then to use a REW instead of a himi for your sable points? I would think c along with c(chl) would work?

What is with the color on my does face around her nose? It seems to be missing a bit...

If you use rew you can't see what color the rabbit you are breeding is. With a himi you can tell if you are breeding a blue or a black if you are aiming for smoke pearls. cc is just too random to use so himi has become the standard to cross with cchl to make sables.

The himi is the usual choice for sable and sable points. Something about the himi breeding keeps the points darker, and cleans up the body color. I got a pair, seal and cal.

I'm still really curious about it. I think I'll give it a shot anyway. XD

Makes sense, I guess. I was just thinking if you had a REW out of a shaded breeding you'd pretty much know what you had genetically and anything you didn't know would be easily found out in one or two test breedings. But, I guess if himi works better for cleaning up body color and keeping points correct might as well go with himi then! I guess you just know that you'll get some funky himis.

Sky, I'd like to see pics of your seal and cal, and any babies they have. I'm assuming they are Rex? I think those colors would be pretty in Rex.

And I say, go for it Nyctra! :)

Back