I'm getting Texas A&M Rabbits!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I am just plane jealous. I have Texas A&M quail and if the rabbits do as well you will be very pleased. I have some quail that lay eggs the size of bantam chickens.

Well, anyone in the central Texas area please feel free to email me. I would love to meet up sometime, try for a central location at lunch, or something. Or is passing through one another's area possibly stop by.

I have a lead on a possible feed source, alfalfa based pellet that is certified organic. The catch is...I think the minimum order would be one ton. Price is great though...$0.39/lb. I'll start another thread when I have some more info. Group buy?

Joe

[email protected]

how did you contact them? I live close to Bryan college station ,work there everyday,. I would be intrested in getting them this summer when i finish my new rabbit house.

TexanConnection":2z95ye5b said:
how did you contact them? I live close to Bryan college station ,work there everyday,. I would be intrested in getting them this summer when i finish my new rabbit house.

TAMU has its rabbitry in Kingsville, south of Corpus Christie. I'm getting these in Round Rock for the same price as they would be from Kingsville, but it's much closer. Round Rock would be closer to you as well.

They're sold out now, but I'm sure they'll be doing more business as soon as they can produce more litters.

Here's the ad...

http://austin.craigslist.org/grd/4314368930.html

TexanConnection":zcdkomly said:

You can contact Dr. Lukefahr at TAMUK here: http://users.tamuk.edu/kfsdl00/rabb.html

I live near Beaumont, Texas, and I also have TAMUK stock. I love them, they are great producers and they tolerate the heat better than any rabbit I have. I foster my Cali kits to them in the summer because they nurse like champs, all thru the heat of July and August. You are always welcome to come check them out here.... :)

__________ Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:23 am __________

Joe n TN":zcdkomly said:
Well, anyone in the central Texas area please feel free to email me. I would love to meet up sometime, try for a central location at lunch, or something. Or is passing through one another's area possibly stop by.

I have a lead on a possible feed source, alfalfa based pellet that is certified organic. The catch is...I think the minimum order would be one ton. Price is great though...$0.39/lb. I'll start another thread when I have some more info. Group buy?

Joe

[email protected]

I might be interested in that...keep me posted. <br /><br /> __________ Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:26 am __________ <br /><br />
TMTex":zcdkomly said:
I have a closed rabbitry and don't sell, but would welcome a fellow breeder so we can swap ideas on how to improve things. My biggest battle so far has been fire ants. I've tried everything including toxic chemicals, but they're persistent. I'm converting my hutches to hanging/stacked cages to help with that ongoing battle.

That is why we went with hanging cages too. Fire ants are almost impossible to eradicate, they just keep moving. Chickens are a great idea, and we plan to try them in the Spring. For now, I just drown them out as they pop up. They also don't seem to like rabbit urine very much.

I picked up my new rabbits on Saturday. I'm a little disappointed in their size. They're a little smaller than my show stock NZWs at about the same age. It could be that mine only had 7 kits and they're still with their mom.

The TAMUKs seem to have more hair, but less fur if that makes sense. The underlying coat isn't as velvety dense as my show stock. Maybe that's part of the heat tolerance thing. Still, mine have made it through 100+ degree weather.

I have Tamuk near Waxahachie. I am jealous of chickens that eat fire ants, I have 9 and they won't touch them. They do clean up the rabbitry though :)

If you don't have chickens (or if you have chickens like mine) you can make ant proof legs for your hutches. The guy that I am getting my beehive from does it for his bees. You drive a piece of rebar into the bottom of the legs, set them in a can of motor oil. The ants can't get past the oil and it doesn't breed mosquitoes.

I would think you could actually set the legs into a can of oil, without the rebar, but it might wick up through the wood (?)

I picked up my new rabbits on Saturday. I'm a little disappointed in their size. They're a little smaller than my show stock NZWs at about the same age. It could be that mine only had 7 kits and they're still with their mom.

The TAMUKs seem to have more hair, but less fur if that makes sense. The underlying coat isn't as velvety dense as my show stock. Maybe that's part of the heat tolerance thing. Still, mine have made it through 100+ degree weather.
Yes, that is part of the heat tolerance and they still do well in cold temps.

Latest posts

Back