If you could go back and start over...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would have completely enclosed the rabbitry right from the start. Now that we have all the hutches in place, it is going to be really difficult, if not impossible, to do it.

Hmm, I would have refused to buy that damn 6 stacker that is basically useless. Would have stayed away from lionheads, and invested in a better buck.
Otherwise, I'm still in the beginning. So many more mistakes to be made. But that's how great books are made.

I would have made sure there were doors to the rabbitry so nothing could get to them. I think that's about it.

Instead of getting mostly indoor type cages get good all wire outdoor cages. Stuck with just a few rabbits at a time instead of ending up with 50 that I'm too attached to to eat.

a7736100":2i2ex3so said:
I'm too attached to to eat.
Maybe I should ad that to my list >.> since I seem to feel that way about most of the ones that should leave...but then luckily the dog isn't quite as attached...its the ones I'm to attached to feed to him that cause me issues :p

Actually,
if I could go back I would NEVER have started in the first place!
Rabbits are just too damned addicting! You can Never, EVER, ever
get out of Rabbits once you get started!
Oh LORD how I have tried, and tried, and tried!
Something always drags you back Down into the "Rabbit Pit"!
But what would I do without them?
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I would have started with better stock instead of starting with rabbits from the guy down the road. Out of the five I bought from him I only have one left. She is a wonderful NZ doe that is an awesome mother. He sold her to me as a buck.

I would have made the rabbitry more secure from the get go. One pack of dogs set me back a year in my breeding program.

I am sure there are more but these are the ones that stand out in my mind.

i am still quite new, but I wish that the babies were not so dang cute! I am having doubts about my ability to pop them in the head and eat um. self sufficiancy is hard. I will get through it, no regrets so far.

1. Never part with the rabbits I parted with to begin with and loose all those years in work.
2. Have a stricter selling agreement.
3. Build my own rabbitry how I want it, not rely on hand me downs or cheap re-purposes.

I started out with mutts and purebreds with no papers that were probably laughable as far as showing goes. They were the healthiest rabbits I ever had though and taught me a great deal. I just wish I'd never parted with all of the rabbits from those breedings go and would've used ones from those breedings to breed in with current stock to have stronger show rabbits. I had purchased and used cheaply enough cages and other things people no longer wanted or used, it worked but not like I wanted. I wasted more time and money with those purchases than if I would've saved and built them how I wanted in the first place. I worked hard and let things come between my desire to keep rabbits and showing, sold out completely...some thing I regret every day. I had issues with buyers at different points for different reasons, now I have a stricter terms of sale if and when I do sell any rabbits. I will be reasonable but I'm not going to bend over backward to please any one any more as far as that goes.

I decided to purchase rabbits back and get a new start this year, but still working on things though at my pace and by my choices.

Latest posts

Back