ID wild bird?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secuono

Reaction score
Would anyone be able to ID this tiny, wild bird?
This little fella got stuck in our dog/laundry room, second time it's happened with this species. It's very tiny and lighter than a feather, lol.
That yellow bar it's foot is on is about 2cm.
ry%3D480

I think you're probably right, Sinnfox. The females are that colour... The males look like they have been dipped in raspberry juice. Finches have strong beaks for seed eating, again similar in both pictures.

My guess was also finch, no idea which. They discovered I toss yummies out to my birds and they love to stop by and eat up what the chickens leave behind or what doesn't make it over the fence.

That would be what my friend's mom referred to as an "NBB". Native Brown Bird. ;)

MaggieJ":1waf017j said:
I don't know, Terry... The beak is awfully heavy for a wren. It looks like a seed-eater, which is why I guessed finch.
The house wren does have a heavier beak-- they are a member of the finch family--

All the pics of 'house wren' I see are nothing like this birdie. Thin beak, very different feathers, etc.
But it's not that serious, you guys, so it's ok if no one knows 100%. =p

Wrens and finches both belong to the order PASSERIFORMES but wrens are in the family TROGLODYTIDAE while finches belong to the family FRINGILLIDAE. So they are related, but not that closely. (And yes, I had to look it up. :oops: )

Personally I like MSD's classification of NBB (native brown bird). :D

MaggieJ":3dq2qqm3 said:
Personally I like MSD's classification of NBB (native brown bird). :D
we were told in one class--LBB fOr Little Brown Bird. Caught a sight on Friday I had not seen for several years-- not since I left Florida in 2000-- a Sandhill crane flying over.... and it was calling aqs it flew---

Back