How to Teach Rabbits 🐇🐇 to Drink from Metal Nipple

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbits by Accident

Reaction score
Or is it even possible?

All my rabbits drink from waterers that have a ball bearing nozzle. When I got them there were two of the newer type with the rod sticking out of the nozzle that they have to push to get water. They never got any water from those.

Because the rod type don't require a vacuum, I would prefer to change to that style but I don't want my rabbits to die of thirst LOL.

Will they learn on their own? I should have put them in with the babies but I didn't think of it. Now the babies are used to drinking from the ball bearing type.

Has anyone changed to the rod type successfully? And how did you do it?

Or do you just have smarter rabbits?

Thanks,

Liz

IMG_20211128_172031819.jpg
(Random cuteness photo)​

I tried the nipple water dispenser and only one of my rabbits seemed at all able to use it…the others will only drink from a bowl or ballbearing water dispenser. But unfortunate as they are easier to fill in situ.

I guess I have smart rabbits or they] get thirsty enough to figure it out. You can check to see if they haven't been drinking and wet the nipple so they smell water.

Or is it even possible?

All my rabbits drink from waterers that have a ball bearing nozzle. When I got them there were two of the newer type with the rod sticking out of the nozzle that they have to push to get water. They never got any water from those.

Because the rod type don't require a vacuum, I would prefer to change to that style but I don't want my rabbits to die of thirst LOL.

Will they learn on their own? I should have put them in with the babies but I didn't think of it. Now the babies are used to drinking from the ball bearing type.

Thanks,

Liz

View attachment 28411
(Random cuteness photo)​
Sorry - no info on the new type. FWIW mine drink from a bowl just fine - plenty of fresh water always available.

Interesting.. well, one of the bonus items we got when we bought all those rabbits was a few of these things.

IMG_20211203_084122053.jpg

I think I have figured out a way to attach them securely and have a much better water supply. The original plan for these apparently was to put them around a 5 gallon bucket, but I need them to water separate cages. Since they won't drink from the metal nipples I can't run lines. Interesting that they drink more from a bowl - then this will definitely work! I will figure it out and post pictures if anyone else is interested. At this point what I've got works ok and holds a gallon of water but I think it can be improved.

Liz

There's a company called rent-a-coop that sells similar systems and say you can use a 5/8 drill bit to drill into any plastic container. They sell extra silicone washers and plastic wing nuts too, if you need any easy solution to making your own device for your cages! You could even drill into PVC pipe to run across and have one water source with lots of little bowls attached.

Mine eventually figured out how to use the metal nipple attachment, but we are back to a heated water bowl for the winter. Sometimes you can turn the metal nipple sideways and that can help. I have noticed they get way more water from a bowl. With the nipples they sit there for a long time to quench their thirst.

There's a company called rent-a-coop that sells similar systems and say you can use a 5/8 drill bit to drill into any plastic container. They sell extra silicone washers and plastic wing nuts too, if you need any easy solution to making your own device for your cages! You could even drill into PVC pipe to run across and have one water source with lots of little bowls attached.​
That is super info! Not only do we have a lot of PVC laying around, there's a 4-in PVC elbow in with the babies so they have something to do (although lately they've been ignoring it.) And I never thought of it! I will have to figure that out!!

Well now that you ruined my great idea that I was going to share 😢😢😢😢 (just kidding)😆 here's a picture of what I actually have done at this point. I have to make a cover for it because believe it or not there are still mosquitoes here!

IMG_20211203_101918761.jpg
Most Summers it gets over 100° here, so I think I will try to make these little bowls work because they need as much water as they can get. Thanks again for the great PVC idea!

Liz

Oh, that is super clever to use a milk jug! would mosquito netting be enough? I just ordered some "first saturday lime" powder (animal safe) to sprinkle in my water dishes and around the yard, i think its supposed to detract mosquitos too.
I think screen would work! I don't know why I didn't think of that either. I guess I need to run my projects by you first and you can tell me what I ought to do LOL

Since this is my own thread I'm going to hijack it and ask you about the lime you are adding to the water, my husband just asked me the other day whether there was something we should be adding to the water to keep them healthy. Tell me more!

Liz

Last edited:
Since this is my own thread I'm going to hijack it and ask you about the lime you are adding to the water, my husband just asked me the other day whether there was something we should be adding to the water to keep them healthy. Tell me more!
I love collaborating so that's fine by me! 😆 And these bunnies are my favorite pastime.

Here's a screen shot for the lime. I got mine from Amazon. I like it because it's a formula that is supposed to be safe for animals.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211204-131208.png
    Screenshot_20211204-131208.png
    557.3 KB · Views: 3
When I got Dosiedoe she was already drinking from the rod type. When I got Harvey all he had ever used was a crock. Naturally I had gotten him the same kind of heated water bottle. On his second day I noticed he had not drunk any water. He was quite thirsty. All I had to do was nudge the rod to make water come out. He took it from there. But, he was a very sloppy drinker. Where Dosidoe might take a week to drink a quart, Harvey went through a quart every day.
I think he had a kidney issue also. He thrived for a year, then something came over him, he stopped drinking and passed over two days.

Tip for drilling drilling holes in milk jugs, fill 1/2 way with water, then freeze it. Use a spade bit on slow speed to cut a neat hole. If you will cut the top out as illustrated above, you could simply inset a board to back up the plastic.

I have mentioned a continuos flow watering system for winter watering, the same would work for blazing summer watering, but rather than keeping the water from freezing, it would keep the water cool for the bunnies. I have so much going on right now, opening a new chimney sweep company, that I don't have time to build the system, but I promise to do a detailed thread when I get to it.

It looks like the bowl waterer has a threaded end. One can drill a hole in PVC pipe and use a typical NPT tap to thread that hole, then use PTFE tape to add the bowl to a pipe system.

Last edited:
I have mentioned a continuos flow watering system for winter watering, the same would work for blazing summer watering, but rather than keeping the water from freezing, it would keep the water cool for the bunnies. I have so much going on right now, opening a new chimney sweep company, that I don't have time to build the system, but I promise to do a detailed thread when I get to it.

It looks like the bowl waterer has a threaded end. One can drill a hole in PVC pipe and use a typical NPT tap to thread that hole, then use PTFE tape to add the bowl to a pipe system.
Love the idea of tapping the PVC!! Another thing I didn't think of! You guys are great!

Can't wait to see your system.

Thanks!

Liz

Or is it even possible?

Thanks,

Liz

(Random cuteness photo)​
I thought my rabbits would not be able to make the switch, but they did. The biggest thing is to be sure they have no other source of water available because they will always choose to drink from the easiest source. If their only source is the bite nipple, they will eventually submit to it. Another thing you can do to help is press the nipple a couple of times each day to keep the water readily apparent as a viable source. They will get the message.

I have observed that buns really like to drink from bowls. My issue is that one has to have bowls and situation such that bowls stay full or it is no good. I have been using the Rentacoop waterers and that is my buns far second choice. They will not readily drink out of the straight metal nipples such as are on most auto systems. We are in the middle of switching over to an automated system featuring the Rentacoop nipples my rabbits like and utilizing micro irrigation tubing and fittings. I will add photos. My hubby is fitting the nipples into the fittings with a 9mm drill bit.

Attachments

• PXL_20211123_162053396.MP.jpg
    PXL_20211123_162053396.MP.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20211207_234044828.MP.jpg
    PXL_20211207_234044828.MP.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 7
I have observed that buns really like to drink from bowls. My issue is that one has to have bowls and situation such that bowls stay full or it is no good. I have been using the Rentacoop waterers and that is my buns far second choice. They will not readily drink out of the straight metal nipples such as are on most auto systems. We are in the middle of switching over to an automated system featuring the Rentacoop nipples my rabbits like and utilizing micro irrigation tubing and fittings. I will add photos. My hubby is fitting the nipples into the fittings with a 9mm drill bit.
I think my rabbits are drinking more since I put in the rentacoop-type water bowls. Since in the summer it gets over 100 degrees routinely I think I am going to try to make it work. So if I understand you, you will not be using bowls anymore, you will be using the push type nipple thing. That's what I can't get my rabbits to use LOL. But, again, I think it's a moot point for me. Thanks for showing your set up!

Ok, so here is my latest incarnation of the watering bowls - I realized that I had containers with lids that will keep the dirt and mosquitoes out (it's 42 last night and will be 80' on Friday, mosquitoes will be out again LOL)

new waterer.jpg

Problem is that I don't want to cut a hole in the cage to fit the bowl through, so I have to assemble it on site. I can't get them to be water tight. I have added a large washer on either side of the cage bars so that the nut/seal tight since the plastic jar is thin and flexible.

I have a row of 3 cages that I think I will run a pvc pipe across with the bowls (thanks for the idea northernnevadahollandlops and Zee-Man)

I'm not in a hurry to solve my design dilemma since it gives me a guilt-free way to hang out with the rabbits for a good part of the day :D

Liz

waterer-rabbit.jpg

I have observed that buns really like to drink from bowls. My issue is that one has to have bowls and situation such that bowls stay full or it is no good. I have been using the Rentacoop waterers ...
So I finally looked at your photos. My rod type nipples are mounted horizontally and also have bevel to the housing. Amazon.com
I don't know a source for such nipples. Shape and orientation might have something to do with acceptance. Just some more feedback.

So I finally looked at your photos. My rod type nipples are mounted horizontally and also have bevel to the housing. Amazon.com
I don't know a source for such nipples. Shape and orientation might have something to do with acceptance. Just some more feedback.
My rabbits like these nipples which is why we have gone to the trouble of figuring out a system to use them. I was just acknowledging that rabbits do appear to like bowls best. I am thinking of putting small bowls to catch the drip - maybe that will incorporate both. Anyway, we are putting them up higher so the adults don't have to crick their necks getting at them. When I tried the other kind of nipple, I couldn't get them to drink - it may have been the specific set up, I know lots of people use them. Funny how many ways we come up with to address the same need.

Latest posts

Back