how to respond to excess cecotropes

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainey

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Berwick (an 8 month old doe we hope is pregnant for the first time, due in about a week and has been seen with haystache) has cecotropes under her cage the past couple days. Usually when we see them we cut back on fodder, roots and willow and make sure the rabbit has plenty of hay. Is this a bad idea when a doe is pregnant? Can pregnancy cause excess cecotropes--something about the hormones? The other droppings are normal and so are the cecotropes--just thought we usually shouldn't be seeing them because they should be eaten.

I don't think there is any harm is putting her on hay and water, even though she's pregnant.

From what I understand, most of the time cecal overproduction is caused by having too much to eat. They're just full and don't feel inclined to clean up their cecals. It shouldn't take more than a day or two to get her back on track, I would think?

NO,
do not restrict her feed to just hay. A deficit of blood glucose during late pregnancy can trigger toxemia (Ketosis) which is potentially fatal.

It's normal for does to produce more uneaten cecotropes near the end pregnancy, and nothing to worry about. It's just a bit harder to reach back there with her insides full of kits...

Excess cecotropes can certainly be the result of too much or too rich food. In the case of a pregnant doe, however, one needs to ask if she can reach to eat the cecotropes as they are produced. I have heard that obese rabbits often don't eat the cecotropes for this reason.

Ah, I see that Zass has already posted about this. :D

Zass":1jcu27o9 said:
NO,
do not restrict her feed to just hay. A deficit of blood glucose during late pregnancy can trigger toxemia (Ketosis) which is potentially fatal.

It's normal for does to produce more uneaten cecotropes near the end pregnancy, and nothing to worry about. It's just a bit harder to reach back there with her insides full of kits...

Well... there ya go.
Good think I read this since I should eventually have pregnant does to worry about.
Thanks, Zass!!

:yeahthat: This is very true. For a matter of fact I was commenting to Kettle today after giving her a good scratch and playing with the popples, that she does not look enthused about getting her cecotropes today. She will not really eat them until the kits are almost completely weaned.

Yes, I talk to my bunnies like they where people........

Thanks, everyone. With rabbits, as with most things, the more I learn the more I realize I don't know so it looks like I'll be asking questions on here for a long time.
So seeing cecotropes can mean the feed is too rich, but not if they're from a pregnant or lactating doe. Are there any other reasons? And then I'm wondering how that works if just at the time the rabbit most needs plenty of nutrients she can't eat the cecotropes which provide lots of nutrients? And I wonder if we didn't see this with our older NZW does last year a) because we weren't paying attention to that, were focused on too many things as beginners b) those does were much more eager eaters and would have found a way to get at those cecotropes somehow c) these does just haven't figured it out because for both of them it is their first time pregnant/kindling.

And while I am pondering the many things I don't know--after losing the first litter of the year at day 5, would it be neurotic or prudent for the next litter to take the nest box out except for feeding? :?

I don't know if it's practical, but is there a way to collect some of the cecals and put them where she can eat them?

I mean, this kind of grosses me out, but hey, we all know it's super important for the rabbits.

Rainey":1w0hkubp said:
And while I am pondering the many things I don't know--after losing the first litter of the year at day 5, would it be neurotic or prudent for the next litter to take the nest box out except for feeding? :?

Call me neurotic and prudent :) My nests come out during cold weather. They go back in mornings and evenings for feedings until the kits are about two weeks old.

Marinea":17k0zdsy said:
Rainey":17k0zdsy said:

Call me neurotic and prudent :) My nests come out during cold weather. They go back in mornings and evenings for feedings until the kits are about two weeks old.

I also do it routinely during cold weather, as I really hate it when one gets pulled out and chills before I can find it.

Latest posts

Back