how to convince rabbits to check out water valves?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessiL

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I asked this question embedded in another post, so bear with me as I give it its own post so that hopefully I get some suggestions!

So, I assembled a nice automatic watering system for my rabbitry that is gravity fed and uses Bass's dewdrop-style water valves (model DD on this page: http://bassequipment.com/Waterers/PVC+T ... fault.aspx). After about 2 months of being in place, only 1 out of 6 adult rabbits (the buck who came from a rabbitry that used the Edstrom system) has been proven to use the valves. I believe he is indeed the only one, as I have not had to refill the 5 gallon bucket this entire time - I just have flushed it out regularly for fun/health of the one user and noticed that the water level barely changes. It's an incredible pain filling the bowls that were supposed to be temporary, but since everyone else is either a pregnant doe or their still unweaned offspring, and it's summer, I don't want to just yank the bowls.

Any ideas on how to get them to notice and use their valves? I have tried smearing peanut butter on them, and nobody has licked the peanut butter off. And just standing there and activating the valve in front of someone's face doesn't seem to help either. So any suggestions?

Thanks, Jessi

Try strawberry jam on the valves, and also put their water crocks below them.

Good luck!

I second putting the crocks under the valve, we did that when we got ours. Only use home made or organic jam because you'd be amazed what companies would put in it. Or use a chunk of watermellon stuck on it.

Wish I could offer you some advice. I have one valved water bottle that I have tried unsuccessfully with 4 of our rabbits. None of them can figure it out. We tried it on another rabbit last week and were so excited to see the water level dropping. Turned out she bit a hole in the bottle lol.

When I switched to nipple drinkers I just took my crocks out. I touched the end of the nipples to make sure there was a drop of water on it. The rabbit got thirsty and curious. All 5 of my adult NZW's were using the new drinkers by the next day.

Hmm, I can definitely try strawberry jam and moving the current water vessels. And yes, I know I should be hard-core and "force" them to drink from the valves, but I'm nervous given the warm temperatures (which will only get warmer in a few days - we're supposed to see 100 in a day or two). One would think they'd prefer the nice cool, clean water from the valves, but I read somewhere else that most rabbits tend to prefer to drink from open crocks before anything else, even ball-type water bottles. Silly things.<br /><br />__________ Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:50 pm __________<br /><br />Ok, so the rabbits were indeed interested in the strawberry jam! I was skeptical since it didn't stick very well to the valves, and they didn't attack immediately. But after a little while I noticed both rabbits in the pasture cages working over their valves.

However, those two didn't seem to actually learn that the valves meant water. When I checked them this afternoon, they seemed hot and thirsty - they came over and licked at the little puddles I made when I activated their valves for them. After an hour or so with no obvious change in water levels, I broke down and returned their water bowls (it was 95 out).

I'll keep trying, however. They have to figure it out eventually, right?

Try removing the water crock overnight. They won't be heat stressed, and they will figure it out quick enough :p

Hello Jessi,
try wedging a toothpick or small item into the nozzle
to create a slight drip. It may take awhile but your
rabbits will soon learn where to water it coming from.
Once the get the hang of it you will see them drinking
to their hearts content. After they learn, be sure to
always use bottles for the herd and bowls only as a last resort!
Like in the winter when it is impossible to use Bottles and sipper tubes.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Thanks for the toothpick idea, OtterSatin. I think that will help. Many of the buns will check it out while it's dripping while I hold it open, but somehow don't make the giant mental leap to activating the valves themselves. In retrospect, I should have worked harder to have had the auto system done when I first got the rabbits, and when it was cooler. We're day 3 into at least a 5 day run of 100+ degree days here!

Back