How special is a lilac?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sommrluv

Reaction score
My rabbits seem to not know which breed they are and keep throwing me curveballs.

But I have these two boys...one solid blue, and one solid lilac. The blue is HUGE for 11 weeks, the lilac is much smaller bodied. They are so friendly, but I'm not sure how 'useful' they will be in meat production. Will I get something amazing if I breed a lilac to a white, or if I get a blue girl and breed them?

It's killing me, because the lilac is SO SWEET...he climbs out of his cage and onto you, grunts and sniffs your face and is just a brat who wants attention. I'm thinking about finding someone who could put him to better use than I...unless anyone has ideas?

what are your breeding goals? pets or meat?

If you want pets...keep the in your face one. If meat.. keep the bigger and meatier of the two. If you can blue, overtime you can get a lilac.. particularly if you have chocolate in your lines somewhere.

Depends what breed. Pretty easy to create in breeds that carry chocolate. They were a dime a dozen from my chocolate line. I was actually culling the lilacs trying to get the chocolates after awhile. It takes a few recessive genes to make them though so some breeds that don't have common chocolate or common dilutes (blues) do not see many lilacs if any. A lilac is just a dilute chocolate while blue is a dilute black. The black is dominant to chocolate so breeding lilac to blue is only going to get you blues unless the blue carries chocolate and then you'll get some lilac and some blue. A white can be anything under the white. White covers all colors so you could get an entire litter of blacks, an entire litter of chestnuts, or 1 of everything. Never know when you start using red eyed and blue eyed whites in a breeding program unless you know their background.

If your lilac is as friendly as you say maybe he would make someone a great pet. That friendly is not that common to just dismiss. I only have one like that. Thankfully she is a doe and I can keep her in my program because she is also a good producer. I would be torn like you.

Latest posts

Back