How Far Would You Go?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilrabbitry715

Reaction score
So I am going on an extreme journey to get rabbits this weekend. Feeling a little nutty but I have to have them! Has anyone else gone above and beyond to get the perfect bun?

Two years in a row, I have placed rabbits on order two months ahead of the national convention, paid to have them shipped to national convention, drove to convention and paid for a motel one year, and paid to have them shipped to me the next year, to a place where I still had to drive about 5 hours round trip.
Yeah, I can understand going above and beyond, and feeling a little nutty, about getting the perfect bun.

I can't get decent angora stock without driving a minimum of three hours one way, and have gone as far as six one way, so I guess it's not extreme, but it's still farther than most anyone else in the area is willing to go.

I'll be driving an hour and a half one way tomorrow to go pick up a 6 week old NZR doe for a meat momma. I could get a white one either for free or for $30 only 20 minutes away, but I'm not fond of the whites, and since I tan my pelts I want colors! Not much for non-heritage breeds either, but hey, I need a doe that can produce well so I don't have to get more to fit my needs.

I drove three days to Minnesota to buy Americans to improve my breeding program.<br /><br />__________ Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:01 am __________<br /><br />And then three days back.

Holy smokes those are some long trips lol

Our first 2 pet rabbits were 30 miles one way.
Next 14 were 5 miles away.

I expect to have to journey 3-5 hours one way next year to get some English or Velveteen Lops and some French Angoras

2 hours single way is my record this far.. But now I've found a breeder just 30 minutes away :D

Usually I am limited to 45 mins in any direction, because I don't drive myself and have to pay my mother to take me anywhere. We did just drive about an hour to go pick up Eddie, my NZR buck, and I've asked the woman to notify me if/when Eddie has any sisters available. My aunt also lives in that town, though, so we stopped by there and made it a dual purpose trip.

I have paid large amounts for transport - $70 to import a lionhead that turned out to be absolute garbage and mean to boot. Then $235 on transport for the velveteens($60 of that is *supposed* to be refunded, but it's been 4mths now and I doubt that there will be any refunds given.) Now I am reluctant to even consider transporting rabbits to me - the one trustworthy transporter I've found(that I don't meet up with personally) is $50 a rabbit, though she was nice and transported my 2 jr vlops together in one cage for one fee, because I was ripped off by the other transporter. I know two women in the "area" who will transport for a reasonable price, however I have to arrange transport around a show they will be attending.

WOW!!! :eek: Am glad I have never had to drive that far for any of mine.
My longest trip was almost 2 hours one way for a trio.

We did 8 hours round trip several times to get Champagne d'argent and mini rex from a Wisconsin breeder. There's a group up there that raise the best champagnes. We've gone farther for hedgehogs and chinchillas and once a 14hour round trip to look at a dog we ended up not getting.

I drove to the other side of the island to pick up those angoras I rescued. About 90 miles each way over Saddle Road (6500 feet above sea level). My truck and jeep don't like driving uphill... sigh. Oh well! That's about as far as I CAN go driving wise to get a rabbit. Any further and I'd be having to travel to another island.

One year I drove to Tennessee to get a trio of French Lops. Another time I bought another trio from a guy in Virginia and had them flown to Atlanta. The Atlanta airport was about 2.5 hours from me and I didn't get lost until I got to the airport! That is one big place!!!
Wish I had never sold them, I miss my Frenhies!

When we were looking for Palominos... we could not locate Any here in NY...and no one knew of any in New England.
So we went on a road trip... :sleighride: ( couldn't find a car smilie ) to Oklahoma...where the premier breeder of Palominos lives.
It was a long drive out and back... 5 days... But... so very worth it to get such Good stock to start of our return to the rabbity world.

( i do need to add... that we are retired and can sorta do as we deem prudent on many things. Not everyone Can take off on a whim...)

So Saturday I drove through a snow storm 5 hours or it should have been 5 hours one way and 5 hours back. Ended up 13 hours! Crazy to do for 3 rabbits. Sliding the whole way and couldn't find the roads!<br /><br />__________ Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:04 pm __________<br /><br />But I had the pleasure of meeting the amazing Mr.Ron Riddle so all and all it was well worth it!

How nice!
a very nice guy! He judged my cremes and silvers a few weeks back.
he said it was the best lineup of fawn silvers he had seen. they are the ones i got from our very own Honorine =)

Can't say that I have. I haven't had a reliable vehicle in years, road trips are limited to an hour or so within the state. I did go with a friend to the PaSRBA show 8 hrs away and got a rabbit there, but that was not the intention.

Usually I pay to have someone bring rabbits back from Convention for me.

I drove 12 hours round trip to pick up 3 Champagnes last spring. My husband thought I was insane.

Then he made the mistake of deciding to go on a road trip with his buddies to see a Vikings game next Feb. "In Minnesota?" I asked innocently. "Um.... yeaaaah, why?" he replied, his eyes narrowing in wary suspicion.

Now I'm trying to track down Champagne breeders along the route from Amarillo, TX to Minneapolis, MN. The least he can do is bring me back some nice young does!

Back