How do you care for a paralyzed rabbit?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blessed with pets

Reaction score
Hello, so I have a 2 week old mini Rex rabbit who was born unable to moved his back legs. I want to let him live out his life even if I need to keep him in my room. I just want to know how they use the bathroom. And if I have to use diapers, how often do I change them. Also I plan on making him a wheel chair. Any tips on the care for a paralyzed rabbit would be very helpful. I should mention I’m 14 so there are limited things my parents will let me do. Thanks in advance, God bless!

And here’s the bunny 29FE19DA-EA99-456F-93B6-C549449278CB.jpeg6A3FE2C9-5BA7-43C6-A5D6-06B076631956.jpegEE7F98EC-6AF0-4F1B-87CA-8FBCCDD9FAE7.jpeg

Hello, so I have a 2 week old mini Rex rabbit who was born unable to moved his back legs. I want to let him live out his life even if I need to keep him in my room. I just want to know how they use the bathroom. And if I have to use diapers, how often do I change them. Also I plan on making him a wheel chair. Any tips on the care for a paralyzed rabbit would be very helpful. I should mention I’m 14 so there are limited things my parents will let me do. Thanks in advance, God bless!

And here’s the bunny View attachment 29802View attachment 29803View attachment 29804
Aww, he's so cute!

You might have to clean his bum a lot since he might not be able to poo properly

If he's going to be a pet can you bring him in? Or use cage that doesn't have a wire bottom?

I know it sounds terrible, but having him on a cage bottom that let's his urine and feces drop down below is actually better for him to stay clean and dry. It is going to be very hard, like a 24/7 job, to keep up on cleaning him every time he goes. I have a adult Buck that can hop around just fine, but due to E.C. and head tilt, he has no control over his bladder and bowls. Even though he has full mobility, he gets to be a mess almost every day if I dont keep his back end trimmed short and have him on a wire bottom cage. I wrestled over it because none of my other rabbits are on wire, but it really has helped him to stay clean. In the long run, that makes for less irritation for him down there, which is hard to fix. If you check out all things bunny, they have rubber toppers to lay over wire bottom cages that won't hurt their feet. I use Pine Pellets to absorb the urine, which is a necessity if you are going to keep him in your room. Good luck with everything, I hope it works out for you. Rabbit Resting Mats, Beds and Hiding Places Online - All Things Bunnies
Also check out www.disabledrabbits.com for good ideas of how you can take care of him.

Last edited:
I know it sounds terrible, but having him on a cage bottom that let's his urine and feces drop down below is actually better for him to stay clean and dry. It is going to be very hard, like a 24/7 job, to keep up on cleaning him every time he goes. I have a adult Buck that can hop around just fine, but due to E.C. and head tilt, he has no control over his bladder and bowls. Even though he has full mobility, he gets to be a mess almost every day if I dont keep his back end trimmed short and have him on a wire bottom cage. I wrestled over it because none of my other rabbits are on wire, but it really has helped him to stay clean. In the long run, that makes for less irritation for him down there, which is hard to fix. If you check out all things bunny, they have rubber toppers to lay over wire bottom cages that won't hurt their feet. I use Pine Pellets to absorb the urine, which is a necessity if you are going to keep him in your room. Good luck with everything, I hope it works out for you. Rabbit Resting Mats, Beds and Hiding Places Online - All Things Bunnies
Also check out www.disabledrabbits.com for good ideas of how you can take care of him.
Sadly scooter passed away before he was weaned.

Not to be harsh, but it was probably the best result. Almost always when young kits aren't fully functional, they don't survive to adulthood. Not that you wouldn't have taken care of him, but had he survived and lived a usual rabbit life of seven to ten years the level of daily care he would have needed would have been rather daunting.

Baby rabbits are extremely delicate and I suspect partly to sort out the ones who aren't strong enough to survive.

Latest posts

Back