How do i bunny proof and free roam ?

Help Support RabbitTalk:

Jasminebunny

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 14, 2020
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
Location
England
Hi , i have free roamed a bunny before , but i'm not sure how to really do it .
I did that like 2 years ago .

I don't know how to bunny proof or anything like that , i know about litter training and .. umm i don't know .
But i don't exactly know how to do this .

The bunnies are kits , and will be free roamed when they are older , around 8 weeks .
I've bred a few bunnies in the past .
What would i need to start ?
How would i set up a homebase ?
And how would i bunny proof ?
Those were my only questions , sorry !
I'm worried i might annoy people with this.

It's for my mum, and yes she did agree .
It was for her birthday but she will get a little late , which is fine .

Thanks

~jasminebunny x
 

Preitler

Well-known member
RabbitTalk Supporter
Joined
Feb 15, 2014
Messages
871
Reaction score
26
Location
Austria
That is a wide topic, and pretty much is already written about it.
Google (or use DuckDuckGo and Startpage, I'm no friend of Google) "how to bunny proof", "bunnyproofing" etc., and use the search over at RO or RabbitsUnited. Read for some hours so you get an idea what it is about. Focus on cables and cords, destroyed furniture is a more or less expensive nuisance, but my Fury almost succeded twice in killing me by removing Insulation from power cords.

Not all rabbits chew stuff, my current two are pretty good, although Dotty likes cables.
Apart from accessable cables I didn't bunnyproof anything this time, but Fury reduced all plinth and baseboards to flakes and splinters, PVC and wood alike, tried to kill me, destroyed my airbrush set and uncounted USB cables, and finally started a tunnel. Straight into the wall, after 2" of plaster the bricks stopped her. Isn't spayed, and a very happy 8yo outdoor bunny now. Very special bunny.

I could write pages, but that would be pointless since this is not a specific question - general information is out there, you just need to read it. Or watch videos. You would have to read it anyway if I would write about it, and it would be limited information.

Imho 8 weeks is way too early, they are not litter trained then, also they fit into every crack and space.
I would keep them in their pen, with a cage as base, for months, and let them explore from there, gradually farther and longer.

I did that like 2 years ago .

And then, what happened?
 

Jasminebunny

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 14, 2020
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
Location
England
'and then what happened?'

I had to move her into a new cage , sine i couldn't free roam anymore .

-- Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:28 pm --

Preitler":1l4mx38a said:
That is a wide topic, and pretty much is already written about it.
Google (or use DuckDuckGo and Startpage, I'm no friend of Google) "how to bunny proof", "bunnyproofing" etc., and use the search over at RO or RabbitsUnited. Read for some hours so you get an idea what it is about. Focus on cables and cords, destroyed furniture is a more or less expensive nuisance, but my Fury almost succeded twice in killing me by removing Insulation from power cords.

Not all rabbits chew stuff, my current two are pretty good, although Dotty likes cables.
Apart from accessable cables I didn't bunnyproof anything this time, but Fury reduced all plinth and baseboards to flakes and splinters, PVC and wood alike, tried to kill me, destroyed my airbrush set and uncounted USB cables, and finally started a tunnel. Straight into the wall, after 2" of plaster the bricks stopped her. Isn't spayed, and a very happy 8yo outdoor bunny now. Very special bunny.

I could write pages, but that would be pointless since this is not a specific question - general information is out there, you just need to read it. Or watch videos. You would have to read it anyway if I would write about it, and it would be limited information.

Imho 8 weeks is way too early, they are not litter trained then, also they fit into every crack and space.
I would keep them in their pen, with a cage as base, for months, and let them explore from there, gradually farther and longer.

I did that like 2 years ago .

And then, what happened?

By the way... I don't go on RO anymore .. okay ? <br /><br /> -- Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:42 pm -- <br /><br />
Preitler":1l4mx38a said:
Imho 8 weeks is way too early, they are not litter trained then, also they fit into every crack and space.
I would keep them in their pen, with a cage as base, for months, and let them explore from there, gradually farther and longer.

I'm going to put a big gate between the two rooms , so we can close it when we want .
Would that little room be small enough ? Its around.. 10ft by 8ft or something like that .
 

Preitler

Well-known member
RabbitTalk Supporter
Joined
Feb 15, 2014
Messages
871
Reaction score
26
Location
Austria
Jasminebunny":39pltlfu said:
By the way... I don't go on RO anymore .. okay ?

Ok, I can understand that. But you don't have to read PMs (I guess there were some that influenced that decision) or write anything to use the search, I even don't know if the search doesn't work anyway when you log out (can't try, forgot password...).
Anyway, there still are other options, 99% of the information about that topic isn't on RO anyway.RabbitsUnited is a pet rabbit forum too.
Or sites like:
http://bunnyproof.com/
Now go and read up, and come back with more specific questions.

10x8ft sounds good. Cardboard boxes are great to structure the area.
 

Jasminebunny

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 14, 2020
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
Location
England
Preitler":1tan5doh said:
Jasminebunny":1tan5doh said:
By the way... I don't go on RO anymore .. okay ?

Ok, I can understand that. But you don't have to read PMs (I guess there were some that influenced that decision) or write anything to use the search, I even don't know if the search doesn't work anyway when you log out (can't try, forgot password...).

I don't understand this .
I can't go on RO , by the way ,its not i don't want to .

-- Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:18 pm --

Sorry! <br /><br /> -- Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:27 pm -- <br /><br /> I did some reasearch .
The only thing i can't work out is how to protect my wood furniture .

It is treated so its bad if they chew it .
How would i do that ?

I cannot find about that .
 

Preitler

Well-known member
RabbitTalk Supporter
Joined
Feb 15, 2014
Messages
871
Reaction score
26
Location
Austria
Oh.

I thought, well, you know, you sometimes have a way to ignore advice that actually put some people off. I thought some just didn't mark that off. My wrong.

Anyway, the information this thread is about is still out there.

Edit;
Ok, that's a specific question.
None of my rabbits chew furniture, so if there isn't a problem no need to solve it, unless it's valuable stuff that you can't afford the risk to try. Anyway, I give my rabbits tree branches to chew on, they can act out that urge on that. It doen't need to be from your backyard, I go about half a mile to gather stuff, key is to talk to people.

:) Preitler
 

Jasminebunny

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 14, 2020
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
Location
England
Preitler":rc5hgzj4 said:
Oh.

I thought, well, you know, you sometimes have a way to ignore advice that actually put some people off. I thought some just didn't mark that off. My wrong.

Anyway, the information this thread is about is still out there.

:) Preitler

Oh i'm sorry!

I don't mean to !
I'm quite confused about what your on about .. i took your advice... didn't i ?
I will keep looking !
 

Preitler

Well-known member
RabbitTalk Supporter
Joined
Feb 15, 2014
Messages
871
Reaction score
26
Location
Austria
Ah, sorry, I was still editing, read my above post again, please.

And, I'm not talking about me. A was moderator in a forum with 50000 users for years, I'm not easily put off ;) :wr_hand:

Btw, this site has an impressive stash of smilies, click on "view more smilies", there's even a :sorry:
 

Jasminebunny

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 14, 2020
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
Location
England
Preitler":3aec1upw said:
Ah, sorry, I was still editing, read my above post again, please.
Ok .
Thanks .

I guess its valubale , well we made it by hand .
Its wooden cabinets , lots of them .
My bunny jasmine never chewed them , but i don't know if these two would .
Again , i will keep researching , and get some sticks for them !

I will have to ask my dad for help with that , i obviously cannot drive , as i'm only 12....

~jasminebunny x

-- Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:45 pm --

Preitler":3aec1upw said:
Ah, sorry, I was still editing, read my above post again, please.

And, I'm not talking about me. A was moderator in a forum with 50000 users for years, I'm not easily put off ;) :wr_hand:

Btw, this site has an impressive stash of smilies, click on "view more smilies", there's even a :sorry:

Cute smiles !
:good-luck: :gold-star: :giraffe: :group-hug2: :hex: :borg: :jedi: <br /><br /> -- Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:48 pm -- <br /><br /> Wait , i said on the other thread do i have to neuter the male ?
Omg i'm not free roaming the male , i'm bonding with jasmine .

I forget everything !

~jasminebunny x
 

Preitler

Well-known member
RabbitTalk Supporter
Joined
Feb 15, 2014
Messages
871
Reaction score
26
Location
Austria
Ah sorry, me editing again, :wr_brick: EDIT: Ok, lol, you read it :D

I can drive, but whatever is in one mile radius I cover by foot. With scythe and basket on the back, well yeah, I got questioned by plaincloth police what I'm doing around that warehouse, such things happen, but no problem.

Can you put your rabbit situation into a really short sum up? It's kinda confusing, tbh.
 

Jasminebunny

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 14, 2020
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
Location
England
Preitler":1shsd895 said:
Ah sorry, me editing again, :wr_brick: EDIT: Ok, lol, you read it :D

I can drive, but whatever is in one mile radius I cover by foot. With scythe and basket on the back, well yeah, I got questioned by plaincloth police what I'm douing around that warehouse, such things happen, but no problem.

Can you put your rabbit situation into a really short sum up? It's kinda confusing, tbh.

I'm bonding jasmine with a male and they will live in a condo and have run time .
And I'm bonding 2 females , and free roaming them .


I edit a lot too .

I'd walk a mile but i get tired !

~jasminebunny x

Edit :
Sorry !
I will have to spay both females ?
 

Preitler

Well-known member
RabbitTalk Supporter
Joined
Feb 15, 2014
Messages
871
Reaction score
26
Location
Austria
Jasminebunny":3w2nh11d said:
I'd walk a mile but i get tired !

you'll get used to it, and if a mile makes you tired you actually need that kind of workout.Get tough, you're dealing with real animals, not the convinient cartoon kind.

I will have to spay both females ?

It really depends on the individual characters, but instincts can be strong in does, that can make free roaming a challange.

Apart from my house bunnies Herr Hase and Dotty I have 2 pairs of intact does, outdoors in hutches. One is my beloved, just recently retired from breeding, 8yo Fury and her 6yo daughter. Not a perfect match, but pretty good with an alpha bunny on steroids in the mix. Chantal, and her daughter still-to-be-named, 2 and 1yo are more compatible.

I skipped any bonding because both are mother-daughter pairs. It really depends on the individual characters, and how they get along. It might not be something to get squeamish about, tufts of fur flying does happen now and then. My intact does have very strong opinions when it comes to digging and stuff, the only intact doe I had indoors for 8 months (Myxo quarantine, sole surviver of 15 rabbits) was a desaster, but as I said, Fury is special anyway,
 

Attachments

  • Schwarze chillen.jpg
    Schwarze chillen.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,032

Jasminebunny

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 14, 2020
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
Location
England
Ok , gonna save up for spaying and vaccinations .
Aswell as what i need to free roam .

-- Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:25 pm --

Okay , so this is my list for free roaming supplies :

Litter box ( using large storage box )
Food and water bowl
Atleast 5 toys
Hide houses
Blankets or rugs ( which would be better ?)
Bed
Hay rack
Tunnels
Card box castle ( made at home )
X-pen
Cable tideys
Zipties
Wood for making the door .

Anything else i'd need ? <br /><br /> -- Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:37 pm -- <br /><br /> Sorry , i don't know
 
Top