Hoppy died, now we have 8 kits to care for..?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelsGirl

Reaction score
Our doe Hoppy just died today leaving us with 8 kits. born on Tuesday, how do we care for these things? We attempted to give them goat milk, but i don't think all of them had enough to eat :(

I've never tried to raise an orphaned litter, but from my reading on RT, I know that you should mix the goat milk replacer at double strength. Kits aspirate fluids easily (breathe it into their lungs, causing pneumonia if not immediate drowning), so do not force the liquids into them. Go slowly. Keep them warm and make sure to stimulate them with a warm damp cloth to make them relieve themselves.

Even with the best of care, mortality is very high. The best way to save the litter would be to foster them to another rabbit.

I'm very sorry, Angelsgirl. :(

It is very hard to hand-raise kits that young, but if you do not have another doe to foster them to and you are willing to try, you really have nothing to lose. And you will gain valuable experience too.

There is information in this thread that may be helpful. :clover: :clover: :clover:
tips-for-handraising-kits-t2486.html

How are they doing, Angelsgirl?

Sorry you lost Hoppy- do you have any idea what happened?

We gave them some of Snickers milk, who is our dairy goat. Is that okay? Or do we have to have the replacer? Because we do have an extra bag of goat replacer on hand from when we bottle fed billy and timmy..
We do not have another doe, but one should be on her way, but they would be too far apart in age.
They are doing great! Last night the ones that didn't drink a lot drank a lot this morning, (we thought we would try again this morning bc some didn't drink last night) and they are all active and alive!
We thought she had another kit coming out of her, but my dad did a little autopsy last night and it look like some body parts had spilled out of her. A prolapse vent or something?

I'm glad they seem to be doing well! I would add the replacer to the goat milk, but follow the directions as if you were adding the powder to water. Once your other doe kindles, you might want to have her nurse the orphans once a day- you could switch the kits out of the nest for one feeding, or use two nests and switch nests morning and evening.

But if we were to orphan these guys would there be enough for Angel's kits? after all, we do have 8 kits plus what she gives :)

UPDATE- everything is going well, babies are healthy and should open their eyes today! :-D

That's great, AngelsGirl!!! :bouncy:

Rabbit milk is very rich, and that's why it's good to feed the goat milk double-strength. In fact, you can add egg and a little corn syrup to it as well.

That's terrific! Once their eyes are open, it gets a lot easier. Won't be long until you can try them on a little dish of kitchen oatmeal, made into mush with the goat's milk formula. And they should have access to grass hay then too. And be sure they have a dish of water as well.

Back