Hopping problem

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ollitos

Reaction score
Last week, I noticed that Big Bertha seemed to have an odd hop. It as like someone tied her rear feet together and she was hopping with them both at the same time. She wasn't experiencing pain so I have kept an eye on it.

She is significantly worse. When she tries to hop, she's almost dragging her rear. Here back legs are able to push her but not as much as she needs. We gave her a good look yesterday - gently probed her feet, legs, hips, abdomen and back. We flexed her legs at all joints. She did not react in pain to any of it. She's still moving around her pen, eating, pooping, peeing, drinking.

But I'm very concerned that she's not moving easily. She's also not sitting on her hind legs right. She looks more like she's laying stretched out rather than sitting on her haunches.

Does any of what I'm explaining make sense? Any ideas on what the problem might be?

i'd think it was hip problem or nerve damage.

if she's just a pet I'd leave her be to see if she'll recover well enough..particularly if she doesn't seem to be in pain.

If she's livestock then I'd give her a week or so in close quarters to give her time to heal up and then make a judgement call as to whether or not to cull her.

try feeding some willow along with rest--my doc would tell me tor est and take anit-inflammatory meds--!!!!

Sounds just like our rabbit posted in the other link. But we bought her grown so I have no idea about past injures. After all the answers I assume that it is genetic and plan to sell her and her current babies to pet homes where they wont be bred.

What concerns me most is the sudden onset. She was fine until a week and a half ago. She hadn't been recently bred so it isn't an injury from an aggressive buck. Looks like she'll be culled if she isn't able to recover or if she continues to get worse.

she could have been startled by something OR had a "spring of joy" burst of energy and ripped around her cage and damaged something. Wouldn't be the first time something like that happened.

Latest posts

Back