Hi all! What have you been doing lately?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm busy working,working on my property, and working my booth at the farmer's market. Selling my jewelry, plants,art and rabbits. Studying, The lost book of herbs plus others, Spanish, gardening, working on genotype ,weekly art, designing quilts and playing with my bunnies to keep the kits friendly.

I have 3 litters all born May 4th. 2 new zealand litters, the other rex. Finally caught up with all of the paperwork.

I enrolled in 3 challenges. The hikers 365 (365 miles) K9 adventure challenge (65 miles) and blazin summer challenge (75 miles I believe). I chose to hike with my newest rescue, Poppy.

Attachments

• 20240528_095053.jpg
    20240528_095053.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240603_102235.jpg
    20240603_102235.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
I've got to fence in as well. Chickens fly over their fence even with a clipped wing and scratch up the veggies. Deer are adamant on defoliating our young fruit trees.
I'm going to try straw bale garden next year as my clay soil is so hard to amend and I dont have to bend so much.
I've done straw bale gardens and it was OK for some things but I went back to dirt. For your clay start piling on the manure compost thick this summer and by next spring you will have nice soil.

My family is going camping on Friday. There are supposed to be hot springs! I auditioned to get into a youth orchestra(this would be my second year) and got into their academy orchestra (It goes Debut, Academy, and Conservatory)! This is what I was working for all year! Oh, I've been playing the violin for 5 ish years. I hope my garden is going to do well but, it's June and raining/poring (I guess that's what I get for living in Washington the rainest state in the USA!)

My rabbitry is doing well! I need to make room for more rabbits though (So if you're interested lol).
I guess lives doing well.

Currently trying to sell a few animals to make space for another group of Litters
My strawberry plants have been making a lot but they're probably done soon (and I've seen a few bugs on them the past few days ☹️)
Planted a bunch of flowers and other strawberry starters to try and grow
Might get a job later this month

I've done straw bale gardens and it was OK for some things but I went back to dirt. For your clay start piling on the manure compost thick this summer and by next spring you will have nice soil.
I love soil too, but my lower back isnt great. I've got 3 hot compost piles going now, and cant seem to make enough. I make the chickens turn them, so I dont have to but rake them up in a heap again.
I'm also reading the Lost book of herbs and learning more about rabbits, other than a meat source. Had two small litters born may 2, and may 5th.

Attachments

• 20240527_144137.jpg
    20240527_144137.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
Lovely crochet blanket, Nibbles! Love the colors and that it isn't 'granny square'.

Sorry to hear about your husband, MaggieJ. Losing a family member is hard. Hope your book goes well and that it is some sort of solace at this tough time.

Started the actual construction of the new house finally, although it's been in design and permitting for years already. Got a bit of code done for the website, but still need to update it further: Hillside Farm New Construction That's up to a week or two ago, almost ready for another concrete pour.
Nice construction page! Great images with well-written content. I especially enjoyed the detailed descriptions of the snap tie brackets.

I'm busy working,working on my property, and working my booth at the farmer's market. Selling my jewelry, plants,art and rabbits. Studying, The lost book of herbs plus others, Spanish, gardening, working on genotype ,weekly art, designing quilts and playing with my bunnies to keep the kits friendly.

I have 3 litters all born May 4th. 2 new zealand litters, the other rex. Finally caught up with all of the paperwork.

I enrolled in 3 challenges. The hikers 365 (365 miles) K9 adventure challenge (65 miles) and blazin summer challenge (75 miles I believe). I chose to hike with my newest rescue, Poppy.
Had to look that up. Sounds like a great time and adventure for both you and the puppy. I will see if I can fit that challenge into my summer. Thanks for the heads up!

Drove to Kila MT, about 4-4.5 hours away yesterday. Dropped off 6 rabbits, made new friends, and Poppy and I got a couple hikes in for the challenge. Hiked again today . Tomorrow is mostly chores, working on my garden, driving to the next town over to pick up rabbit feed,hitting up their library, and doing more yard work. We are having a celebration dinner here tomorrow night, Mexican food and a birthday cake for a family member. Then I go back to work. Only 1 more possible litter this month and no others bred. I need to buy more wood and rebuild my rabbit yard fence.

Attachments

• 20240604_192240.jpg
    20240604_192240.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I have been down sick for about 2 weeks. Just got a promotion, so extra busy at work. garden is about 50% in, bunnies to harvest, and more coming, plus this morning I saw my first ducklings! my attempt at straw bale gardening is a total fail though.
View attachment 41917
Hopefully you are feeling better! Congratulations on your promotion!!! Well done. Very cute ducklings! My garden is a bit off this year as well. I went back to dirt myself. A leson learned is never a fail.

I'm so tired I can't see straight. Yesterday I worked my job all day, rabbit chores, cleaned out Momma's nest box (kits are 10 days today), made two weeks worth of raw dog food plus prepped organs for the next six weeks of food in freezer (I need a good grinder 🙄), then built a stacked set of the Bass 30x36 cages (first time assembling cages and my hands are screaming), got three rabbits transferred over then nighttime chores. Went to bed after midnight and skipped dinner.

The rabbitry is almost done, better half has been working hard every day wiring, insulating, paneling, linoleum floor, light and fan fixtures installed and I've been helping in the evenings after I finish work/dinner. We have just a few more insulation pieces to go on ceiling, install the AC unit being delivered Monday and two more cage towers to build and then I think we're done with that. Oh frick, just remembered I have to rehab a used two story outside hutch I bought a while back...currently three hole on top, grow out cage on bottom. The structure itself is solid but I need to rip out all the wire and build new cages and I'm redoing as both large cages for grow outs, no individual holes but may divide each large one into two to separate sexes.

Then to the chicken coop part and run...I'm praying it won't be as labor intensive because I'm beat.

Hopefully you are feeling better! Congratulations on your promotion!!! Well done. Very cute ducklings! My garden is a bit off this year as well. I went back to dirt myself. A leson learned is never a fail.
Yeah I did not have high hopes, but figured I would give it a shot as it was better than the nothing which I would have had time to do otherwise. I will use the bales as mulch, which I am still at the point of constantly needing! The soil in the perennial planted front garden is finally looking like soil instead of rocky substrate, lol. Two years' of wood chips and a years' worth of combined chicken and rabbit manure have paid off there. Another year and I will have eden in the backyard too!

Yeah I did not have high hopes, but figured I would give it a shot as it was better than the nothing which I would have had time to do otherwise. I will use the bales as mulch, which I am still at the point of constantly needing! The soil in the perennial planted front garden is finally looking like soil instead of rocky substrate, lol. Two years' of wood chips and a years' worth of combined chicken and rabbit manure have paid off there. Another year and I will have eden in the backyard too!
Sounds like a beautiful garden in the future . Every year I add more gardens. This year I feel I'm way behind. We had a lot of wonky weather. 2 weeks ago it was so cold and dumped a few feet of snow on us. Now reaching for the 70's.

Latest posts

Back