herbs to increase milk production?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjgibson2009

Reaction score
I lost my last litter bc does milk dried up at 2 weeks. I had another litter yesterday from a diffrent doe and dont want this to happen again. So i heard mint or parsley. Is there anything else i can do to help her out?

Rabbits should be able to start up lactation, and stop it, on their own without help.

Sometimes, milk supply can be increased by making sure the doe has all the dietary fats she needs. Black oil sunflower seeds are good for that, but I've heard of other oils being used.

If the problem has something to do with her body(most likely) and not her diet, I'd suggest simply not breeding any does who dry up early, and work towards a line with a naturally good milk supply.

I've had only one doe ever who dried up early...Autopsy revealed small puss filled abscesses in her mammary tissue, no swelling or heat.
Totally undetectable from the outside.

Continuing to try and breed her in that condition would have been a huge waste of my time, and I'm sure, very unpleasant for her. <br /><br /> -- Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:55 pm -- <br /><br /> Oh yeah, Comfrey is a high protein feed that has been said to increase the quantity and quality of milk too.

Mint will dry up milk, so don't feed that! Parsley will jump start milk production because it helps the uterus to contract (and when you have contractions it stimulates the let down of milk), but I only give it for the first couple of days because ist is also used to dry up milk.

This link lists lots of herbs that stimulate milk production:

http://twohunnyzrabbitry.webs.com/herbi ... mation.htm

Borage is one of my favorites, but it is powerful stuff, so use in moderation.

MamaSheepdog":1lqdlbry said:
Borage is one of my favorites, but it is powerful stuff, so use in moderation.

I planted borage this year because I thought I'd read that feeding it was safer than parsley (because parsley first encourages milk production and then somehow slows it :? ) But what is the issue with borage? I don't have much yet so was feeding a few leaves each day to the doe with the litter of 12 while before they came out of the nest box and started eating solid food. She always went for the borage first, whatever else was in her green mix. How much do you consider too much? Do you only give it to nursing does? (Comfrey, another herb suggested for milk production, I feed to anybunny--but it isn't a favorite most of the time.)

Rainey":bvgs1t7c said:
But what is the issue with borage?

I had a doe that became so engorged with milk that she was on the verge of mastitis. I had to give her mint and catnip to counteract the effect of the Borage.

Interestingly, my rabbits wont take even a nibble of catnip normally, and this doe snatched it out of my hand and gobbled it up!

Back