help

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rats ewww. We dug around the bottom of the cage looking for the body. It took a few mins before we started finding pieces. we didn't see any hole or tunnels. How could we prevent rats from coming back?<br /><br />__________ Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:27 pm __________<br /><br />My Boyfriend took wire and wound the chain link underground to the wire on the sides.

cclark223":k7k1eh30 said:
My Boyfriend took wire and wound the chain link underground to the wire on the sides.

Rats can EASILY get thru the holes in chain link fence... :(

OneAcreFarm":3gjtcihd said:
cclark223":3gjtcihd said:
My Boyfriend took wire and wound the chain link underground to the wire on the sides.

But how would they get a rabbit head through the size of openings in chain link?

garden lady":1jgkfofo said:
OneAcreFarm":1jgkfofo said:
cclark223":1jgkfofo said:

But how would they get a rabbit head through the size of openings in chain link?

Maybe they just ate it.....

If you didn't see any tunnels, and haven't found any place where something could have gotten in there, it was either the other rabbits or a vandal. :(

I didn't see any tunneling and we dug around looking for a bigger piece then what we were finding. I would hate to think someone would go back there and do such a thing but I will put a lock on the cage tonight. And what can I do about Rats? Just in case. I would rather over prepare than do nothing.

cclark223":dra2pkyc said:
I didn't see any tunneling and we dug around looking for a bigger piece then what we were finding. I would hate to think someone would go back there and do such a thing but I will put a lock on the cage tonight. And what can I do about Rats? Just in case. I would rather over prepare than do nothing.

What is that building it is beside? Is there buried wire on that side?<br /><br />__________ Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:29 pm __________<br /><br />
MamaSheepdog":dra2pkyc said:
If you didn't see any tunnels, and haven't found any place where something could have gotten in there, it was either the other rabbits or a vandal. :(

Just realized how small the wire is on the cage, so whatever animal had to come in from below the ground and it would not have filled the tunnel in behind as it left, so if no tunnel then you are right, had to open the door and shut it when they left and with big pieces found they did not leave with a live rabbit. Footprints? Is your whole yard fenced? I would put a lock on the gate to the yard if possible.

The building beside is my house, not sure how the wire is connected to that side. Entire yard is privacy fenced and yes the wire is small. I will lock the cage tonight.

cclark223":qhrc256b said:
The building beside is my house, not sure how the wire is connected to that side. Entire yard is privacy fenced and yes the wire is small. I will lock the cage tonight.

Sorry you had this happen. I would be so upset if it happened to me. We are trying to get our yard fenced in.

Another thing you can do, after any other improvements you make, is sprinkle baking soda on the ground around the outside of the pen. Use a sieve to get a light, even coating.

In the morning, you will be able to see foot or pawprints if anything comes around.

A raccoon can open a door like that easily if it is not locked. Maybe that is what you are dealing with. I see you have a barrel bolt. Cats, dogs, and coons can open barrel bolts. A lock will definitely help. To keep the bottom of the door from being pulled out (if you can pull it out with the door bolted), you may want to put a lock farther down, too.

If you are dealing with coons, you may need to add another layer of wire that is stronger than the hardware cloth you have up. Some 14-gauge 2"x4" or something. Coons can tear hardware cloth.

I was thinking 'coon as well. If it got in all it needed to do is kill one rabbit, eat it and get back out the way it got in. Tht would explain why no bones, they will eat them.

If it was dogs all your rabbits would be dead adn if it was the other rabbits it would have been scratched to bit but not eaten and a person would have taken it away rather than skinned it there.

Padlock the door and then check every square inch for any loose wire. 'Coons can get through impossibly small gaps and are really strong.

And I second the motion of checking for paw prints!

GBov":lg277m02 said:
I was thinking 'coon as well. If it got in all it needed to do is kill one rabbit, eat it and get back out the way it got in. Tht would explain why no bones, they will eat them.

If it was dogs all your rabbits would be dead adn if it was the other rabbits it would have been scratched to bit but not eaten and a person would have taken it away rather than skinned it there.
Very good points.

How's it looking, CClark?

Back