help

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cclark223

Reaction score
We have had our 3 rabbits in a 8x4x6 high walk in cage my Boyfriend built. He dug down 3 ft and put chainlink around the bottom and sides so the rabbits could dig and not get out. We have had our rabbits since 8weeks old in the same cage together for 8 months with no fighting no problems. About a month ago we found one single baby bunny in the cage.we aren't sure how old the baby even was it was covered in fur so it had to have been there a little while. They continued to all live together peacefully we never once witnessed them being aggressive. This morning we went out to feed them and one was missing. At this point all their holes were caved in and there was no way in or out. There are walls a roof and a door. After some digging we found shreds of the bunny's skin shredded around the cage. No bones nothing but shreds of skin. Could the other rabbits do this? After 8 months of living together could they or would they shred another bunny to nothing? The biggest piece of the bunny we found was barely two inches. Not a bone. Not a head nothing but fur. I can't imagine the other Rabbits doing this I am baffled. Help.

__________ Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:38 pm __________

I just want to add that last night we saw the now deceased bunny eating and hopping around just fine.

edited to add pics....
CClark.jpg

CClark baby.jpg

CClark baby2.jpg

CClark baby3.jpg

CClark setup.jpg

CClark setup2.jpg

cclark223":2ht9lze3 said:
We have had our 3 rabbits in a 8x4x6 high walk in cage my Boyfriend built. He dug down 3 ft and put chainlink around the bottom and sides so the rabbits could dig and not get out. We have had our rabbits since 8weeks old in the same cage together for 8 months with no fighting no problems. About a month ago we found one single baby bunny in the cage.we aren't sure how old the baby even was it was covered in fur so it had to have been there a little while. They continued to all live together peacefully we never once witnessed them being aggressive. This morning we went out to feed them and one was missing. At this point all their holes were caved in and there was no way in or out. There are walls a roof and a door. After some digging we found shreds of the bunny's skin shredded around the cage. No bones nothing but shreds of skin. Could the other rabbits do this? After 8 months of living together could they or would they shred another bunny to nothing? The biggest piece of the bunny we found was barely two inches. Not a bone. Not a head nothing but fur. I can't imagine the other Rabbits doing this I am baffled. Help.

The one single baby bunny, was it alive, still alive?

I just want to add that last night we saw the now deceased bunny eating and hopping around just fine.

Yes the single baby bunny is alive and well. No injuries but the other two older rabbits who we presume are mom and dad have been extra protective of the baby. Worse then ever before.

cclark223":3majk7bw said:
Yes the single baby bunny is alive and well. No injuries but the other two older rabbits who we presume are mom and dad have been extra protective of the baby. Worse then ever before.

Who is dead, a male or female, how old?

__________ Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:50 am __________

garden lady":3majk7bw said:
cclark223":3majk7bw said:

The one single baby bunny, was it alive, still alive?

So it was healthy.

Sounds like you have a predator issue...something went in the cage and killed that rabbit.

The deceased is a male probably 10 months. All the adult rabbits were around the same age, purchased at the same time approximately 8 weeks of age and we've had the three of them, two males one female, together the entire 8 months we have had them. And we have never seen them aggressive. The baby has been with them probably a month that I know for sure, but probably closer to a month and a half. Never any problems. Would the other rabbits be capable of ripping this rabbit of same size and age to shreds, where we find nothing but pieces, not even a single bone?<br /><br />__________ Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:05 pm __________<br /><br />I want to believe it was a predator, but how could something get in our cage with walls and roof and door, and what would do that? And why would one be killed and not the other two adults and baby? And if it is a predator what can I do to keep from losing the other rabbits? Please help...

cclark223":hawr89yl said:
The deceased is a male probably 10 months. All the adult rabbits were around the same age, purchased at the same time approximately 8 weeks of age and we've had the three of them, two males one female, together the entire 8 months we have had them. And we have never seen them aggressive. The baby has been with them probably a month that I know for sure, but probably closer to a month and a half. Never any problems. Would the other rabbits be capable of ripping this rabbit of same size and age to shreds, where we find nothing but pieces, not even a single bone?

__________ Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:05 pm __________

I want to believe it was a predator, but how could something get in our cage with walls and roof and door, and what would do that? And why would one be killed and not the other two adults and baby? And if it is a predator what can I do to keep from losing the other rabbits? Please help...

Can you post pictures of your setup for us? That would help us to help you....

I keep trying to post pictures and its not letting me. I will keep trying. It says the picture sizes aren't right.

cclark223":28sn6upq said:
I keep trying to post pictures and its not letting me. I will keep trying. It says the picture sizes aren't right.

Can you resize them or compress them?

I can only access the internet on my phone right now and I don't know how to do that on my phone.<br /><br />__________ Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:27 pm __________<br /><br />Can I email them to you directly?

I PMed the OP with my email address, since they're dealing with a phone, and I don't know what changes that makes to being able to resize pictures. This is a time-sensitive issue, so I went ahead and did that.

I agree that it sounds like a predator.

Adult rabbits can certainly start to fight, even if they were raised peacefully together. Hormones are funny things. Two bucks together is almost always a recipe for fighting once they grow up. Rabbits will occasionally kill each other, if they don't get along well, especially two bucks.

That said, the fact that there's hardly anything left of the rabbit, not even any bones, tells me that it's a predator. Rabbits may kill each other, but they're probably not going to actually EAT an adult rabbit, much less the bones.

__________ Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:55 pm __________

:lol: OAF!! We both had the same thought!<br /><br />__________ Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:04 pm __________<br /><br />CClark, send your pics to OneAcreFarm. I have to work outside for a while, and she'll probably be able to get them up sooner than I. You could send them to both of us, and one of us will get them up here. :)

I emailed the pictures. That's exactly what I thought about fighting and I knee that was a possibility, its just hard for me to imagine that the other rabbits would completely destroy the other to the point where we only find pieces of skin. I didn't think that the other rabbits would eat an entire rabbit, I just don't know how or what could have gotten inside and why it left the others. I cannot go to sleep tonight without changing something

If the wire is three feet down, does it also cover the three feet on the sides or does it only cover the bottom?

The wire is from top to bottom all the way around. Although midway there is a line where the wire overlaps because its two pieces. One piece wasn't wide enough. That would be about 3 feet up where the pieces overlap all the way around the cage. And the roof has wood over the top with a tarp over the wood.

cclark223":nm1slyoe said:
He dug down 3 ft and put chainlink around the bottom and sides

The only thing I can think of is maybe rats have tunneled in. They are strong and may have been able to drag the parts away.

The only thing I could think of is where the wire overlaps. But its three feet up and something would have to pry and squeeze through. Do you think that's the case?

cclark223":3hq9xv7z said:
The wire is from top to bottom all the way around. Although midway there is a line where the wire overlaps because its two pieces. One piece wasn't wide enough. That would be about 3 feet up where the pieces overlap all the way around the cage. And the roof has wood over the top with a tarp over the wood.

Is the floor wire and the side wire attached in some way?

Back