Help with Facebook

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use facebook to keep in touch with my family that is scattered across the the U.S. but there seems to be a lot of people that like to give their religious and political opinions and forget their manners too boot. That's the main reason I love this site so much people actually have manners. I haven't joined any groups because I know I'd get banned within mins. :p :lol: :lol:

wamplercathy":1h2fww29 said:
I use facebook to keep in touch with my family that is scattered across the the U.S. but there seems to be a lot of people that like to give their religious and political opinions and forget their manners too boot. That's the main reason I love this site so much people actually have manners. I haven't joined any groups because I know I'd get banned within mins. :p :lol: :lol:

True dat!

Dood":niqgx49u said:
My sister set me up so I would stop asking her about family events and I think I'll just stick to using it for that :)

I have an absolutely MASSIVE family. Both parents had 8 or 9 siblings, most had offspring. I have no idea how many cousins I actually have. :?

But you have to understand, these are small towns. So, everyone is a busybody.

I have no intention of allowing them to keep track of me online as well. :lol:

This one time at banned camp.... lol

I've been banned from horse groups when people get up in arms about the way animals are treated being sent off to Canada or Mexico for slaughter etc. I suggested that perhaps when you ban slaughter from the US and force it underground it attracts seedy people and practices. When you send it out of the country altogether, then the US has no right to whine about the standards and control. It falls under another jurisdiction.

Not that I'm FOR cramming as many unfed, lame horses onto a cattle truck as will fit, mares, geldings, stallions, etc. that have never seen each other before and let them kick, bite, fall down and get trampled, then use cattle prods and sometimes maim horribly before killing them..... but if it was out in the open and subject to health and welfare inspections, it might not be so god awful.

People think that when they sell their 20+ year old horse, it's going to wind up on a farm with lush rolling meadows and a little stream and pass away peacefully under the shade of its favorite tree. Unfortunately, very few fairytales come true. I'd rather see a quick respectful death than what most horses that outlive their riding years go through.

So... yeah.... facebook groups generally aren't the place for common sense and honest opinions. :evil:

JenerationX":1dqo9f9s said:
This one time at banned camp.... lol

HAHAHA I think I've been to that one... maybe I saw you there?? ;)

JenerationX":1dqo9f9s said:
I've been banned from horse groups when people get up in arms about the way animals are treated being sent off to Canada or Mexico for slaughter etc. I suggested that perhaps when you ban slaughter from the US and force it underground it attracts seedy people and practices.

Right. I'm an interesting mix of ethics (I like to think of it as 'common sense' (or maybe 'uncommon')), attention to what I classify as 'animal rights' as well as understanding of species hierarchies and such. I think it's flat out wrong to cause suffering in any creature, when it is unnecessary, and even sometimes when it is necessary... depending on the situation. But, I see nothing wrong with eating meat and raising animals for such, as long as they are treated fairly.

Eating a horse, or a rabbit, or a cat or a dog is no more wrong than eating a cow or a chicken. What matters is how we treat these animals we are 'using' for their meat and various byproducts. It's difficult for some people to understand how one can love animals AND eat them.

JenerationX":hi4ezct9 said:
But, I see nothing wrong with eating meat and raising animals for such, as long as they are treated fairly.

Eating a horse, or a rabbit, or a cat or a dog is no more wrong than eating a cow or a chicken. What matters is how we treat these animals we are 'using' for their meat and various byproducts. It's difficult for some people to understand how one can love animals AND eat them.

I would have to agree with you people need to stop worrying about what we eat and focus on how that food is raised. I've had cat, dog, and horse, along with more common meats. Got to say horse was not as good as some others, but cat and dog very tasty. The whole pet idea is in our heads. People have cows as pets and don't think twice about eating a burger. And people who say we only eat stupid animals has not spent any time around livestock.

wamplercathy":3v34ys0j said:
JenerationX":3v34ys0j said:
But, I see nothing wrong with eating meat and raising animals for such, as long as they are treated fairly.

I would have to agree with you people need to stop worrying about what we eat and focus on how that food is raised. I've had cat, dog, and horse, along with more common meats. Got to say horse was not as good as some others, but cat and dog very tasty. The whole pet idea is in our heads. People have cows as pets and don't think twice about eating a burger. And people who say we only eat stupid animals has not spent any time around livestock.

Indeed, as we all know, pigs are far more intelligent than dogs and bacon is very popular.

wamplercathy":1fmf5ctf said:
Syberchick70":1fmf5ctf said:

I can't say I've had dog, cat, or horse (they use it mostly outside the US).... but that's not to say I wouldn't if it were something as available as pork or beef. I've only ever had cats and dogs as pets... but if they were raised in good conditions and killed quickly and humanely for meat, I wouldn't be all over facebook telling people they were murderers. As far as horses, you're talking about a 1200 lb animal... they eat a LOT. They're not cheap to keep and feed past their "useful life".... some people have the space and the money and that's great, but for those animals that don't have the permanent retirement in la la land option, I'd rather see a humane end and the animal processed and used than see them being put to sleep by a vet and sent for disposal. It's wasteful. What happens in a lot of cases is they end up being "adopted" and starved and neglected by well meaning people that just don't have the money to keep a pasture pet.

JenerationX":32ahv9qd said:
can't say I've had dog, cat, or horse (they use it mostly outside the US).... but that's not to say I wouldn't if it were something as available as pork or beef. I've only ever had cats and dogs as pets... but if they were raised in good conditions and killed quickly and humanely for meat, I wouldn't be all over facebook telling people they were murderers. As far as horses, you're talking about a 1200 lb animal... they eat a LOT. They're not cheap to keep and feed past their "useful life".... some people have the space and the money and that's great, but for those animals that don't have the permanent retirement in la la land option, I'd rather see a humane end and the animal processed and used than see them being put to sleep by a vet and sent for disposal. It's wasteful. What happens in a lot of cases is they end up being "adopted" and starved and neglected by well meaning people that just don't have the money to keep a pasture pet.

:yeahthat:

I agree with you guys. It makes me think of the Wild Horse and Burro Act passed back in 1970:

"An Act Of Congress "Congress finds and declares that wild free-roaming horses and burros are living symbols of the historic and pioneer spirit of the West; (and) that they contribute to the diversity of life forms within the Nation and enrich the lives of the American people ..."
(Public Law 92-195, December 15, 1971)"

As a student of conservation biology, I've always had mixed feelings about that. For one thing they aren't "wild," but feral. They are extremely hard on the environment and compete with native grazers. So now they are rounded up and adopted out, rather than slaughtered for food. It may make our consciences feel a little better, but I think it is such a waste of resources and a land management nightmare.

Whew. I'd better be careful where I spill those sentiments. :) Hmmm.... maybe I'll go over to facebook and........ :hmm: ;)

Phacelia":2bnaoctu said:
I agree with you guys. It makes me think of the Wild Horse and Burro Act passed back in 1970:

"An Act Of Congress "Congress finds and declares that wild free-roaming horses and burros are living symbols of the historic and pioneer spirit of the West; (and) that they contribute to the diversity of life forms within the Nation and enrich the lives of the American people ..."

As a student of conservation biology, I've always had mixed feelings about that. For one thing they aren't "wild," but feral. They are extremely hard on the environment and compete with native grazers. So now they are rounded up and adopted out, rather than slaughtered for food. It may make our consciences feel a little better, but I think it is such a waste of resources and a land management nightmare.

Whew. I'd better be careful where I spill those sentiments. :) Hmmm.... maybe I'll go over to facebook and........ :hmm: ;)

Yeah... that whole thing will make your head spin trying to understand it. Supposedly it was about competing with native grazers, but it was the cattle ranchers who wanted to use the land grazing, so really what is this doing for native animals? I've learned over the years that gov't isn't about the good of anything but money.

Phacelia":16o7p2oo said:

I think it's good to keep protected herds of mustangs. There are some fine, rugged horses that come from that stock. I do believe it takes careful management though.

Dood":38i12dzk said:
A little bit :mrgreen:

I kinda flipped my lid when a member said that cancer was a fungal infection :shock:

Another said too much meat causes cancer and I said the Inuit and Eskimos must be dropping like flies from cancer since meat is all they've eaten for 10,000 years

I think the last straw was when I insisted that someone who got fawns and gold tipped steels from her "purebred" and "pedigreed" Silver Fox likely had silver gened mutts while another member insisted that those were historic colours in SF and likely hidden since the 1960's :groooan:

Keep in mind, there are 23,000 members on that group... :) Not everyone there is as clueless as those few :slap:

Syberchick70":manjdrkn said:
Phacelia":manjdrkn said:

I think it's good to keep protected herds of mustangs. There are some fine, rugged horses that come from that stock. I do believe it takes careful management though.

Oh, I agree! In fact, I've always wanted to adopt one of those mustangs. And you can often find me drooling over the pictures on their adoption site. :p

JenerationX":manjdrkn said:
Phacelia":manjdrkn said:

Yeah... that whole thing will make your head spin trying to understand it. Supposedly it was about competing with native grazers, but it was the cattle ranchers who wanted to use the land grazing, so really what is this doing for native animals? I've learned over the years that gov't isn't about the good of anything but money.

Yeah, the cattle ranchers out there definitely hold the purse strings.

There's some bigwhig cattle farmer out here, who has hundreds of acres that adjoin State Park land. He is always cutting paths and trees (on park property) to let his cattle down to the water (which is also technically illegal). Both the state and federal govt. have fought him in court before, but he just pays his fine and keeps on doing it. Now nobody is willing to go against him. Gotta love good ole' boy politics. :evil:

I actually got to work with a mustang years and years ago. I was maybe 17 or 18 and it was the first I heard of the BLM adoptions. She was a very smart little grulla mare that we broke and she went on to do trail riding at a camp for years. The problem with having adults riding them is that a lot of them don't break 14.2 hands, so they're limited to a children's large pony class. You've gotta really look to find something built well enough and big enough for an adult to be able to show on. I've only seen a handful in the hunter/jumper barns in 20+ years. If I had a child that was riding well enough to take over schooling though, I'd have one in a heartbeat. They're pretty much unflappable once you've got their trust. Stuff blowing around, snow, dark corners in an arena, crossing or jumping water, none of it phases them at all once they know you're on their side. They really are amazing animals.

Latest posts

Back