Help! One of my rabbits has a runny nose

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicrose8

Reaction score
I just found one of my rabbits has a runny nose. I am butchering him today. He was not caged with anyone else. All the other rabbits appear clear.

What do I need to do to protect the rest of my herd? I have raised them organically so I would like to stick to organic if possible but I'd like to keep them alive more than keep them organic.

Thanks!

Nicole

Hi Nicole. :welcome:

A number of things can cause a runny nose: an irritant in the nostril, dust, mould, allergies... It isn't always the dreaded Pasteurella, which typically causes an opaque white discharge from nostrils and/or eyes. Butchering the affected rabbit is an effective safety precaution, however, in case the runny nose is caused by something contagious.

Feeding rabbits organically has nothing to do with their susceptibility to disease, as long as the diet is adequate. I'm not sure why you would connect one with the other.

Phew. It was most definitely clear. The organic thing was a concern because if I had to give prophylactic antibiotics then they're no longer organic, right? Plus I want a nice, clean environment for them.

Since you mention the dust thing, I just replaced my cedar ground cover so I'm sure that stirred up some dust. He was on the lowest level so it makes sense he was most likely to be affected. I've got my fingers crossed that's the cause! I will keep my eye on the other buns though just in case.

Thanks for the speedy response and have a great weekend :)

Nicole

Cedar - especially red cedar - is very aromatic and that, plus the dust, could easily have caused enough irritation to cause a runny nose. In cases like this, one can remove the rabbit to a remote location to isolate and give the situation a little time to see if it resolves.

I understand now your concerns about keeping your rabbits organic. Antibiotics would indeed negate that. I thought you meant that you feared the organic diet had caused this one to get sick.

I have only ever treated one of my rabbits with antibiotics; normally if they are ill enough to need them, I cull them instead. The exception was a favourite doe with an abscess due to an injury. She was a breeder but really kind of a pet too and so got special treatment. I consider my rabbits "naturally fed" but not organic.

Latest posts

Back