Help misquotes are hurting out rabbits nones

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olbunny

Reaction score
The misqtoes n a few other kazillion biting bugs have the noses on our rabbits looking like a scab that is being picked. With open blood.
Any suggestions would be really appreciated. We typically have used bag balm. But I'm concerned about infection. And the does are under a lot of stress, not a good situation. They have boxes that they can get into for some relief and mostly stay in that all day so more not good.
Also not sure if about on the shelf stuff that claims works. Do veterinarian offices sell an ointment for this ?
Thanks from our bunnies n me

The misqtoes n a few other kazillion biting bugs have the noses on our rabbits looking like a scab that is being picked. With open blood.
Any suggestions would be really appreciated. We typically have used bag balm. But I'm concerned about infection. And the does are under a lot of stress, not a good situation. They have boxes that they can get into for some relief and mostly stay in that all day so more not good.
Also not sure if about on the shelf stuff that claims works. Do veterinarian offices sell an ointment for this ?
Thanks from our bunnies n me
I feel your pain! It's been a bad mosquito year where I am too. Here's a photo from a new breeder, asking what was wrong with his rabbit's nose:
Image.jpeg

I've never found anything to put on the rabbits that helped, and there's very little I am willing to put on them anyway since they lick it all off. Some rabbits are a lot more sensitive and prone to mosquito irritation than others.

When a rabbit is suffering especially badly, the only thing that seems to actually help is to bring it inside away from the bugs to let the nose heal up, since the open wound and blood seems to draw more bugs, and more bug bites causes the rabbit to scratch more, etc. etc. etc. Once the rabbit is away from the bugs, the wound usually heals fairly quickly. Once its nose is healed you can usually put the rabbit back outside, and by then bug season has waned.

But there are a couple of things I've found can help a little with the general bug problem, while you wait for the worst of mosquito season to burn itself out (or to fade away, this year, since we've had precious little sunshine so far). My rabbits are inside a barn now, and if I keep the doors closed, it keeps out most of the mosquitoes.

When I had the rabbits outside in an open lean-to, I found that getting the rabbits off the ground was key. I used to have cages that were just above the ground, and the rabbits in those were always the ones that got hit the worst. (If you have rabbits in a colony, lifting cages is not an option, but if that's the case, I would think the rabbits would dig into the ground.)

Other things that help a little bit: I found that putting some citronella plants around the rabbitry was mildly helpful. I also hung a bunch of fly strips and since there were so many mosquitoes, I caught some of them that way. Also, keeping the grass cut short around the rabbitry, and making sure there were no little wet areas (dripping watering system, etc.) made a significant difference.

Last edited:
Years ago, I had my rabbits in cages under a weeping willow tree in good weather. When there was a strong breeze from Lake Ontario, they were fine -- it was several degrees cooler under the tree. But when the breeze died, the mosquitoes were a problem.

Fortunately, our property had an abundance of catnip. Nepeta cateria, not the ornamental kind. This plant is the BEST to repel mosquitoes and flies. I would gather a nice big bunch, bruise it well to release the scent, and lay it on top of the rabbit cages. By the time I finished feeding and watering the rabbits (about eight cages), the mosquitoes would be mostly gone. I never had the kind of sores on my rabbits that you have posted, so I strongly urge you to grow this most useful plant.

There is one downside to allowing rabbits contact to catnip. Like many members of the Lamiaceae (mint) family. One of its medicinal effects is to suppress lactation -- useful in cases of mastitis. The same applies to peppermint, spearmint and sage, etc. In cases where there was a nursing doe, I would hang the bruised bunch near the cage but where the doe could not reach them.

This really worked for me ... and I hope you will add catnip to your garden for the benefit of your rabbits.

~ Maggie

Years ago, I had my rabbits in cages under a weeping willow tree in good weather. When there was a strong breeze from Lake Ontario, they were fine -- it was several degrees cooler under the tree. But when the breeze died, the mosquitoes were a problem.

Fortunately, our property had an abundance of catnip. Nepeta cateria, not the ornamental kind. This plant is the BEST to repel mosquitoes and flies. I would gather a nice big bunch, bruise it well to release the scent, and lay it on top of the rabbit cages. By the time I finished feeding and watering the rabbits (about eight cages), the mosquitoes would be mostly gone. I never had the kind of sores on my rabbits that you have posted, so I strongly urge you to grow this most useful plant.

There is one downside to allowing rabbits contact to catnip. Like many members of the Lamiaceae (mint) family. One of its medicinal effects is to suppress lactation -- useful in cases of mastitis. The same applies to peppermint, spearmint and sage, etc. In cases where there was a nursing doe, I would hang the bruised bunch near the cage but where the doe could not reach them.

This really worked for me ... and I hope you will add catnip to your garden for the benefit of your rabbits.

~ Maggie
That sounds like a great thing to try. I have a lot of several varieties of mint around, which does not seem to have any effect on mosquitoes, but I do not have catnip. I actually have a problem with neighbors' cats messing in my yard and garden, so I don't think I'm going to plant any...:rolleyes: But my rabbits have no problems with mosquitoes now that they're in the barn, and flies don't become an issue unless there's too much moisture under the cages.

Note that the citronella I mentioned above is the grass Cymbopogon nardis, not the geranium plant that smells like it. As you said regarding the catnip, I scrunch it as I go by, to bruise it and release the aromatic oils.

The photo of the bug-bitten rabbit came from a youth who is caring for the local high school's rabbits for the summer. He sent the photo to his FFA advisor, who forwarded it to me in hopes of finding out what was causing the sores, and how to treat them. I'll pass your suggestion regarding catnip along to them. Thanks!

Last edited:
I know you are both in the far north and this may not work as well for you, but when I arrived at my new house, the mosquitoes ate me alive after dusk every night all summer long.

Next to the chicken coop and rabbit hutch I put a small pond-- Just a stock tank really-- and I stocked it with 10 feeder goldfish from the local big box pet store. This year I put another one in the front yard. I haven't been bitten since.

The Pacific Northwest where I live is dry during the summer and water sources are relatively limited. Wherever they used to be breeding was not as attractive as the beautiful little habitat I built for them. But underneath the pretty attractive little pond, there are voraciously hungry fish with very little to eat.

My goldfish will over winter here despite the pond appearing to freeze solid. I imagine you would have to bring yours indoors or restock each spring.

I have tried many other options but the only things I found to consistently work for me is a fish pond or good old DEET at a really high concentration.

Good information. And yes satin our rabbits noses are the same situation as the picture. We have always had bag balm around for our animals. So will probably try some. Pens are 3' off the ground and where they catch a breeze. We don't have any flies in the manure. As I wrote the boxes provide the best protection.
A concern of mine is stress. And a successful breeding. Does are very susceptible. I've noted that the misqtoes are not as bad in the early morning when it's cooler, fiddy degrees or so. And the rabbits are running around in their pens having a good time. Nice to watch. So will do breeding then.
I sure appreciate the discussion folks, very informative and nice

We're in zone 7b and our goldfish are fine in their small pond through the winter. As long as they can get below the ice they're ok. It is only about 3' deep.

We live near some free-range summer cattle grounds. Every summer, flies show up along with the cattle. I mean immediately. I have some 1% ivermectin drench for cattle that I've diluted 50/50 with water, in an old sauce dispenser bottle and around once a month I apply a scant stripe down my sheep's backs. It really seems to help them. The bunnies don't seem bothered by the flies. Just a thought... I fully expect it would work for bunnies & would def try it (carefully & well-diluted) if they were being tormented. It would be easier though, to start with drench intended for sheep as it's already more dilute, and is sold in small quantities.

As for their poor raw little noses, I'd probably try a diluted drop of some antiseptic essential oil (lavender, eucalyptus, tea tree...). I'd try it first on one adult to see how they tolerate it. That's what I do for myself & it works for me, plus it really speeds healing. If you don't want to try that, you could use some colloidal silver, which has no scent. I'm not super impressed with colloidal silver, but many ppl are, and it definitely won't irritate them.

You could also make a salve with some healing plant like comfrey, yarrow, aloe, Melissa (bee balm) leaves... whatever you have growing nearby. Search for instructions online; it's a very easy project.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back