Hello from New Hampshire

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HegenerHomestead

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

My name is Sarah Hegener and I run a small rabbitry with rex mutts and angoras in Central NH. I'm still kinda new to rabbits, but things are running pretty smoothly now. I'm awaiting my third litter( should be born on Monday). I haven't bred the angoras yet, I actually took them in from a friend who needed to downsize emergently, but I'm seeing who has the best personality and rehoming as many as I can after I get them back into good shape.

With the meat rabbits, I enjoy seeing the different colors I get. I know some people think that's wrong and certain colors should only be bred to certain colors, but for now, I enjoy the variety and slowly learning more about colors and genetics. I hope to tan the hides of my growouts soon, but haven't done that yet. My husband and I had not had rabbit meat before we started raising rabbits, but we both really enjoy the meat and look forward to continuing to produce meat for ourselves.

My Rex mutts have beautiful, wildly colored/patterned coats. I think ppl mostly go by the colors/sex when choosing a rabbit for a pet. Other than that, since your bunnies aren't pure-bred, you only need to worry about what pleases you re: colors, and of course, how fast/large your rabbits grow.

I raise straight-up mutt rabbits and only know a little of what is in my main buck and doe. Although I breed for the freezer, I raise them so that they may be pets as well. I love seeing the fur come in and finding out what color the popcorns are. I get such a variety and people who actually buy for pets love the colors I have to offer.

Side note - have you tried rabbit tacos yet, if not it is a must!

Hi!
I raise mutt rabbits too, and just like you I love to see the colors. I second what @RabbitsOfTheCreek said, if you aren’t showing or have a line of purebreds I don’t think it matters.

I hope you keep posting and let us know what kind of colors you’re getting! I got a sallander out of a random color breeding who I just love and am trying to get more of them. I think it’s one of the most fun thing about raising rabbits. 😊

I’d love to know if you’ve gotten any interesting colors so far! 🐰

I raise straight-up mutt rabbits and only know a little of what is in my main buck and doe. Although I breed for the freezer, I raise them so that they may be pets as well. I love seeing the fur come in and finding out what color the popcorns are. I get such a variety and people who actually buy for pets love the colors I have to offer.

Side note - have you tried rabbit tacos yet, if not it is a must!
I have green peppers and onions to use up, rabbit fajitas, thanks for the idea.

Latest posts

Back