Having Trouble Breeding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigredfeather

Reaction score
We are having all kinds of trouble getting our does bred. We've bred all 8 does twice over the past 9 weeks and no babies. We have both younger and older does/bucks and always put the does in with both buck (one day each on consecutive days). It's been cold here the past few days, but before that the weather was decent.

We have Californians and New Zealands.

Any advise?

I've heard use ACV (Apple cyder vinegar), parsley, put the does next to the bucks but in a different cage, make sure they have adequate amounts of sunlight etc. None of these has helped me. It seems right now there are many of us having problems getting our does bred. Maybe its just the weather.

I'm sorta in the same boat. Trying to get one of my does bred and I've been trying for a week with no luck... she just own't lift. Now, my other doe... HA!! She was ready! This isn't the first time I've had an issue getting this doe bred... can't decide if she's hard to breed, or if she's just getting old. I know that she's a bit overweight from her last litter, so I've dropped her to hay rations. I'm also wondering if she just doesn't like the buck. In another day or so, if she doesn't lift for Stewart, I'll try using Babette (my little lionhead boy... long story).

Bigredfeather":nley9i8l said:
We are having all kinds of trouble getting our does bred. We've bred all 8 does twice over the past 9 weeks and no babies.

Are you checking the color and condition of the doe's vulva? It should be dark pink or purple, and should be moist and enlarged. The buck should also fall off dramatically- if he just gracefully dismounts, he didn't hit the mark. This thread has pictures that should help:

judging-a-doe-s-readiness-and-breeding-tips-t9869.html

Bigredfeather":nley9i8l said:
always put the does in with both buck (one day each on consecutive days).

Are you just leaving them together all day? They may fight. Does have castrated bucks before, and bucks have hurt does as well. They may even get killed.

The buck should try to mount the doe right away, and even with a slow breeder should cover a doe at least twice in less than fifteen minutes. Most get the job done in just a few minutes.

Good luck! :clover:

I was having he77 with one of my does as well , she simply refused to lift despite appearing "ready".

I think its a combination of the weather and short days that's causing many of us to have a hard time with these does as there have been extended periods of cold all over the country (& Canada) to go with these short winter days.

After two weeks of failures I decided to try leaving the lights on kinda tricking the doe into thinking it wasn't winter anymore .... on the 4th day she ran away from him a couple times , realized he wasn't giving up and lifted 3x & he got the deed done.

I have heard that ginger root is something of an aphrodisiac for rabbits .... might try that along with leaving the lights on.

I'm now certain none of our does have taken. I'm thinking about waiting until Feb 1 and breeding them all again. Do you think this is a good plan or should I try breeding them all again now?

I would try breeding again.
Here is a tip that might work for you:
Check both rabbit prior to placing them together for breeding.
Watch the entire process which should take all of five minutes or less.
Allow the buck to service the Doe at least twice at the {one] meeting.
If you feel they have not bred, try bringing the Doe to the Buck for
at least four days in a row. Within that time frame she should get bred.
Do not just leave the Doe in with the Buck. Watch each meeting to be
sure that you know when she was actually bred. When you use this
four day in a row system, be sure to place the nestbox according to
the first possible day she may have been bred.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I have a "new Zealand" doe she is California marked, but that is beside the point. point is she just gave me 10 little wigglers after the roughest breeding's ever! this was third try, we had to hold her with her head covered, she growled and was generally un- cooperative :evil: :: two false pregnancies, this was her last chance before the stew pot. she is not too old only 10 months. just did not want to breed. so....don't give up you may have to help .But so far she is being a good momma.She delivered on the 18th. so far so good, but she keeps trying to berry the nest box :lol:

Back