Harlequins

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzy9

Reaction score
Are Harlies similar to NZW's as far as meat to bone ratio?

No, their bone to meat ratio is not as good as NZW's, Cali's, or other meat rabbits.

Also, keep in mind that their litters are usually much smaller too.

HOLD ON... It all depends on WHO is breeding them and WHAT they are breeding them for.

FOR INSTANCE>> I breed mine for type and size. i have some nice sized does and they throw GOOD kits. Not as big...but definitely as meaty.

IF you are buying from a person who is breeding them strictly for show and ignores type...only wants the markings...well there is some horrid harlequins out there. BUT us fine folks up here in Canada believe that type is VERY important and will show off a well marked harlequin all the better!

Can you tell I love my harlequins and like them to compete with my one (albeit not the greatest example) New Zealand. They regularly throw me 8 kits in a litter which is just fine by me, I've had them that they throw 11.

While it is true that several show lines are on the small side, have slow growth, and very poor meat to bone ratio.. I still totally agree with Ladysown that it ultimately depends on the breeder. I have 3 generations under my roof now and my second and third are already surpassing my NZR in size and growth, but I decided to all but ignore markings for a while to concentrate on type and grow out primarily. I can't compare them to other breeds that I haven't owned like Cali's or Silver Fox, but they can certainly hold their own as a multi-purpose rabbit if you get them from someone that breeds for type. I've had an average of 7-8 in a litter so far as well and one of my Harlie does is fostering an additional 5 (NZ) kits in addition to her 7 right now. She is a great mother.

Best of luck!

Lauren

AZ Rabbits":2ltqphf9 said:
No, their bone to meat ratio is not as good as NZW's, Cali's, or other meat rabbits.

Harlequins produce just as many kits as other commercial rabbits, if that is what you mean.

Harlequins are fantastic & fulfill their purpose. I agree with Ladysown & Lauren! :)

Epic":24ubd49r said:
AZ Rabbits":24ubd49r said:

Harlequins produce just as many kits as other commercial rabbits, if that is what you mean.

Harlequins are fantastic & fulfill their purpose. I agree with Ladysown & Lauren! :)
I guess it depends on the lines. All the Harlequin breeders I've know have always said they produce closer to the 5-6 kits range while NZW's, Calis, Americans, etc produce 8-10 per litter. Maybe they all have bad stock, but from reading about Harlequin breeders across the US, that seems to always be the consensus from various blogs, forums, websites, etc. Is this not correct? I'd love to hear from Harlequin breeders on this board to what your average litter sizes are. Pleas chime in and correct me if wrong.

That being said, I've always loved their looks.

I have Harlequins, the two litters I have had have both had 8-9 kits. I have three litters due for the end of this month, so I will let you know how they pan out! :)

Back