(Hack) Deep litter method in cages

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heartbased Homestead

Reaction score
Hi all! I've been doing colony, with an oversized cage (dog crate) for the buck. The main factor for choosing colony vs cages was less daily chores, as they would share waterers, continual access to hay bale, deep litter, ect.

I think I've found a "hack", which has been working successfully for almost 6 months now so figured I'd share.

What I've been doing with the dog crate, since it's tall enough, is to allow the buck to create his own deep litter by keeping a laundry basket of loose hay on top, which keeps the hay clean and dry, yet he can still pull it from the top easily. When he eats, a little extra falls to the floor and naturally covers his bathroom spot. This method slowly raises the level of the floor, yet in 6 months I haven't had to muck it out more than once, and it all mostly lifts up as one piece due to the urine, and the heavy urine content it is great mulch for heavy feeders like pumpkin. There is no smell prior to mucking, the comstant hay covering keeps it clean and fresh.

(Bonus hack!)
I keep my buck on a hay-only diet mostly to keep him from getting fat while I feed my breeding does and the growing kits. He likes to push his way in and eat as much food as they get, even though he has the lowest energy and nutrition requirements.

I do not use pellets or commercial feed, and he naturally recieves supplementals when I throw in greens or treats, it gets tossed up against the wall of his crate so he can grab some too. I'll scoop him some sprouted grain every few days when I step inside the colony.

I love this method/hack for 3 reasons:
1. Low effort, high reward

2. Attends to different needs of colony members without extra mental/physical labor

3. Automates the feeding and cleaning cycles for cages and is stackable if cages are staggered with top hay baskets (I'll be adding another crate and hay basket soon so I'll post pictures of the set up in a few weeks).

Thanks for reading, y'all! Always open to alternate suggestions. Does anyone else use a deep litter method in their cages?

I keep my buck on a hay-only diet mostly to keep him from getting fat while I feed my breeding does and the growing kits. He likes to push his way in and eat as much food as they get, even though he has the lowest energy and nutrition requirements.

I do not use pellets or commercial feed, and he naturally recieves supplementals when I throw in greens or treats, it gets tossed up against the wall of his crate so he can grab some too. I'll scoop him some sprouted grain every few days when I step inside the colony.
I sorta use deep litter when it's super hot and the kits are small. I let it build up to a few inches, but because of the misters it stays wet, so I don't let it hang around more than a few days.

I am very interested in your method of feeding the buck only hay. What kind of hay do you use? I get an organic 'field hay' which is just random stuff from a field. I prefer that because it is organic, varied and the rabbits choose different plants to eat. I'm trying to get away from pellets, would appreciate any info. If you want to start a new thread, that's great too. Thanks!

Liz

I wish I could source a good organic hay! I will be trying to find that locally but I worry about what it all includes. Have you found that they self select and ignore any toxic plants? I currently do a Timothy hay which comes from untreated fields and sometimes has other things in it (I got free columbine growing in my yard from mulching with the hay which had some seeds!) but most of it is just Timothy which is consistently protein rich enough to not have to worry about hay-only, I hope!

I wish I could source a good organic hay! I will be trying to find that locally but I worry about what it all includes. Have you found that they self select and ignore any toxic plants? I currently do a Timothy hay which comes from untreated fields and sometimes has other things in it (I got free columbine growing in my yard from mulching with the hay which had some seeds!) but most of it is just Timothy which is consistently protein rich enough to not have to worry about hay-only, I hope!
They must self-select because I give them all of it. I figure rabbits in the wild don't have anyone saying 'don't eat that' ... haven't had any problems in 2 years. I have no idea what is in it, except one obnoxious plant with GIANT burrs. I try to keep them out, they get wound up in their fur.

So, the bucks are okay with iti? That's good to know I am trying to get away from pellets, but it's hot & dry here and I'm lazy LOL so not growing much for them. I tried sprouting wheat over the winter with success but not much volume.

Thanks for the info & suggestions.

Liz

Most farmers watch their fields for known toxic weeds--we did. It was one of my childhood chores to go pull out the tansy ragwort from our fields. However, this did not impact our hay much anyway, because hay was generally baled in late may/early june, before the tansy was tall enough to be caught by the mower.

Latest posts

Back