getting started. What size cages

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sully022

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new to the group and new to rabbits. I picked up 8 rabbits this past weekend and have some pre-made cages that I picked up too. The cages are 18" wide x 24" deep x 18" tall and all have the opening on the top of the cage. I have enough cages for them all to have their own cage and lots more I picked up for the future rabbits too. My rabbits are New Zealand & Californian or a cross between the two. I have some of each.

My question is what is the idea size for the cages? I have been doing some reading on line and it seems like everyone has their own opinions. I have been told that 2' x 2' is a good size for them to be in when they are by themselves. 3' wide x 2' deep is good size for a breed doe so she has room for nesting box.

Just looking for words of wisdom from those who have paved the path before me thanks.

Those are a little small. Even 24x24" is on the small end but will fit most bucks and is good for raising juniors you are debating keeping. Most use 30-36 x 24 depending what use each cage has. You might want to splicce your cages together.

Well, you're absolutely right - there are as many opinions as people it seems! One thing I would caution, depending on where you live, there might be requirements for cage sizes depending on rabbit size. The Animal Welfare Act requires 4 square feet per rabbit for the breeds that you have, so a minimum of 24"x24" of floor space per rabbit (or equivalent) and 14" minimum ceiling height. I do think most people with these breeds do a 18" ceiling. I believe that you can still legally use your cages for young rabbits, but once they hit 8.8 pounds you must (by law) put them in a larger cage. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, here's a link: https://www.arba.net/PDFs/CAW.pdf Of course, if you don't live in the US, you might have different regulations to follow!

So from there it's really about personal opinion. We wanted larger cages for our rabbits, since we don't currently plan to let them out into an exercise pen. We are in the process of eradicating (organically) poisonous hemlock, and until it's gone they will stay in their cages, and maybe even after.

For our breeding does, we started with 48" wide x 30" deep cages. I figured that I would have trouble reaching the back corners, but wanted to try anyway. We ended up cutting them down to 48" wide x 26" deep and I think it is absolutely perfect. We do plan to add a shelf, which effectively adds floor space, mainly to give the does a place to get away from the babies once we actually have some lol.

Our bucks cage is 36" x 30" and I don't think that I would have been happy with anything smaller. We have New Zealands, and they are a pretty big rabbit, so I feel like this gives him enough room to romp around in, and he seems pretty happy. Even with that, we have come up with creative ways to get him some exercise right in his cage by playing with him and putting hay and apple branches thru the cage ceiling so he stands on his hind feet to nibble them. We've had him for almost two months and he is very fit, and I think more lean muscle than before.

Hope that helps!

I'd think a 10-12 lb rabbit will need a larger cage than 18x24. My French Angoras are about the same size as calis and at 5lbs they are fastly outgrowing my 20x26 cages. A 24x24 is only about 10% bigger than mine and it would be too small for a doe but might work for the buck. I have some 28x28 cages that they will be moved to when they reach about 6lbs. 30x24 will meet the ARBA guidelines but ideally I'd want something like 36x24 or 48x24.

Welcome to RT, Sully!

I tend to err on the side of bigger cages myself. All of mine are at least 42x30. If I was in your position, I might make 4 cages out of your eight, and then make four more. Actually, scratch that. If you are going to be breeding, I would likely make two big grow out cages out of what you have, and make new cages for the rabbits you have now. With larger rabbits like NZ, I would likely make the buck cages 36x30 (or 24 if 30 is too deep for you to reach into the back of), and 48x30 for does so they have good room for nest boxes. Keep in mind that the does will likely have larger litters, and that the nest box will take up a bit of room.

Trust me, take time and make a solid decision up front so that you're no re-doing cages in a few months. Good luck with your new buns!

I'm a big cage lover.
What can I say? I like to watch them move around and be rabbits.
All my new ones are 48 in long, but they are only 24 in deep, because I have very short arms.
It's important to be able to easily reach all corners of a cage.

I have to agree with everyone else.... 18x24 is way too small for large meat breeds. You won't be able to get a nest box in that cage and still have room for the doe to lay down. The ABSOLUTE smallest I would use is 30wx24d....even that is a bit small, in my opinion. I prefer 36wx30d for does with litters and 30x30 for everyone else. I tried 18wx30d for bucks after seeing it in another large rabbitry, and I hate it. I will be clipping out the dividers to make 36wx30d cages out of them. <br /><br /> -- Fri May 02, 2014 8:55 am -- <br /><br /> I have to agree with everyone else.... 18x24 is way too small for large meat breeds. You won't be able to get a nest box in that cage and still have room for the doe to lay down. The ABSOLUTE smallest I would use is 30wx24d....even that is a bit small, in my opinion. I prefer 36wx30d for does with litters and 30x30 for everyone else. I tried 18wx30d for bucks after seeing it in another large rabbitry, and I hate it. I will be clipping out the dividers to make 36wx30d cages out of them.

I have similar rabbits. My cages are 40 x 30 x 18 high. I make them in 10' lengths, so that is 3 cages per section. A doe with 8-12 5 week old kits will fill up this size completely. You might get by with 40 x 24, if you don't want them that deep, but I wouldn't go much smaller.

http://rabbittalk.com/member/avdpas77/

Back