Getting slime off

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoxerMom

Reaction score
I'm having a really difficult time finding a technique for getting the slime layer off between the skin and the meat. Also I can't seem to get the silver skin off cleanly without butching the butchering job.

Ideas?

It is easier to pull the skin off a warm carcass than a cold one. If you use 1 hand to pull and 1 to work your fingers between the skin and the meat to loosen it you should be able to do it easily. I find it easier to do this part with my hands than with a knife.

I'm not sure what slime you are talking about. I hang them by their back legs off a tree branch, cut the skin in a line around the legs just past the joint of the hind foot, cut in a V down the legs to meet just past the genitals and once the skin is pulled down the legs I just have to poke one half my scissors or shears beneath the skin under the tail and cut. After that it only takes one smooth pull. Even on the 3-4month olds I've never had to cut or scrape anything once the skin is split across the belly and back. Just pull down. The skin rolls right off and the meat is perfectly clean after that. I have learned not to pull the skin off the front feet by force unless I want splattered in blood. I now pull down to the front feet and then cut with shears to get the skin loose. I don't use a knife on mine at all. Just a pair of scissors to make initial cuts which can usually then be pulled open and a pair of shears with a bone notch to cut off the feet and head.

I use garden shears to ssnip the feet off right after decapitation (I also use it to snip through the backbone) that way I pull the pelt off in one fluid motion. I find I still have a bit of loose fur sticks to the body durring butchering.

So no one else has experienced this slime stuff? Maybe it is because I use a knife to help get the hide off. I'll try arachyd's technique and see what happens. I always skin and butcher immediately after the kill.

Thanks for the input! Tomorrow is butchering day, so I hope to have good news then.

I think I know what you mean about slime, BoxerMom. Sometimes after skinning there is a thin sticky film on parts of the meat, particularly the hind legs. After soaking the pieces in ice water, it seems to go away. Any traces can be removed with a paper towel.

I don't find that the sticky layer is any problem. After rinsing the blood off and a stay in the refrigerator to rest the meat it just disappears.<br /><br />__________ Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:47 am __________<br /><br />
akane":2hcbysyc said:
I'm not sure what slime you are talking about. I hang them by their back legs off a tree branch, cut the skin in a line around the legs just past the joint of the hind foot, cut in a V down the legs to meet just past the genitals and once the skin is pulled down the legs I just have to poke one half my scissors or shears beneath the skin under the tail and cut. After that it only takes one smooth pull. Even on the 3-4month olds I've never had to cut or scrape anything once the skin is split across the belly and back. Just pull down. The skin rolls right off and the meat is perfectly clean after that. I have learned not to pull the skin off the front feet by force unless I want splattered in blood. I now pull down to the front feet and then cut with shears to get the skin loose. I don't use a knife on mine at all. Just a pair of scissors to make initial cuts which can usually then be pulled open and a pair of shears with a bone notch to cut off the feet and head.
My grandfater raised a lot of meat rabbits and he taught me a slick trick for young rabbits that still have thin hides. Cut the skin across the back and then insert you fingers into both sides of the slit. Pull in two directions and the skin comes right off in two pieces without hanging. You can't save the hides that way but it sure saves skinning time.

The sticky layer won't really be noticeable after its cooked, so if you can, just ignore it.

As for the silver skin - think of it like filet-ing a fish. Hold the knife at a parallel angle to the meat, slip the knife between the silver skin and the meat, and...yea. Filet it. Does that make sense?

Once you get the silver skin started you can pull up on it and sort of slice where it is sticking to the muscle. Kind of like a second skinning. With fryers I seldom bother. If you are going to coat and fry them it won't be noticeable.

Back