Genotype e(j) question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mckatie

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Raya and Peter's last litter had what appeared to be 2 harlequins but the litter died. They think Raya sat on them. What colour would Raya be? And would she be the one to carry the ej allele? Thanks for sharing all of your thoughts! 1000004504.jpg
1000004502.jpg

Peter on the right..fawn?or light red?

1000004505.jpg

Raya
1000004503.jpg

Raya and Peter's last litter had what appeared to be 2 harlequins but the litter died. They think Raya sat on them. What colour would Raya be? And would she be the one to carry the ej allele? Thanks for sharing all of your thoughts!

Peter on the right..fawn?or light red?

Raya
None of the photos are especially good shots for color guesses, but here goes...

Yes, those kits are definitely harlequin!

If Peter is an orange he'd be <ee> so he could not carry <e(j)>. But I can't see enough of the rabbit to be sure he doesn't have a stray darker mark or two on him courtesy of a harlequin allele; some harlequins are extremely lightly marked. Is that a sibling next to him? Because that one surely is harlequin, and it would lead you to suspect Peter could be too.

Likewise, I can't tell from the photos whether Raya has harlequin-type color variation or if the different colors are an effect of the agouti pattern and the lighting. Neither of her parents looks harlequinized, but again, I'd like to see more of her sire. And her self chocolate dam could be hiding an <e(j)> since in the heterozygous condition <Ee(j)> that allele is covered up by <aa>.

So, it would be helpful if you could post some clear shots of the rabbits' side views and bellies (sometimes that's where you can find evidence of harlequinization in agoutis, especially).

Last edited:
None of the photos are especially good shots for color guesses, but here goes...

Yes, those kits are definitely harlequin!

If Peter is an orange he'd be <ee> so he could not carry <e(j)>. But I can't see enough of the rabbit to be sure he doesn't have a stray darker mark or two on him courtesy of a harlequin allele; some harlequins are extremely lightly marked. Is that a sibling next to him? Because that one surely is harlequin, and it.. would lead you to suspect Peter could be too.

Likewise, I can't tell from the photos whether Raya has harlequin-type color variation or if the different colors are an effect of the agouti pattern and the lighting. Neither of her parents looks harlequinized, but again, I'd like to see more of her sire. And her self chocolate dam could be hiding an <e(j)> since in the homozygous condition that allele is covered up by <aa>.

So, it would be helpful if you could post some clear shots of the rabbits' side views and bellies (sometimes that's where you can find evidence of harlequinization in agoutis, especially).
That is Peter's sister next to him. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and knowledge. Gave me tips of what to look for. Thank you! These are my friend Paula's rabbits. I will tell her to work on her photography. 😆 She was so excited about the harlequins. And then heartbroken. I thought the gene would come through Raya because she looked Agouti. Where Peter and Jack looked like red variations and ee. There are a lot of twists and turns in genotyping trails. Appreciate you!

Latest posts

Back