Garlic for deworming?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ollitos

Reaction score
I've been corresponding with a woman who has a farm and raises some pigs, among other things. They naturally deworm their pigs using garlic and diotemaceos earth. We use DE for our pigs, cattle and rabbits. We use it all over the chicken coop as well and often put it in the chicken feed. We love DE.

But I'd never heard of using garlic. Does anyone have any insight on this? I'm wondering if the rabbits would eat garlic. I know they love garlic tops.

I dont recommend it.. they say feed dogs garlic and keeps the fleas away. .. But it is bad for them. But in pigs it might be alright as we are the same as pigs with it comes to the stomach ect. AS GOES FOR rabbits i dont think so.. Would you feed horses garlic...No,, so ,rabbits are the same as horses.

DE,, might help.. But i am not a firm believer in that at all. As MSG does this and she still had worms in her rabbits.

Garlic is a common plant dewormer that is easy to find. It is known to be active against, among others, Ascaris, Enterobius and, of particular interest for ruminants, against lungworm in general1. It must be used, however, as prevention (prophylaxis) rather than as treatment or with other products. In fact, garlic does not prevent the production of eggs but prevents the eggs of certain parasites from developing into larvae5.
http://eap.mcgill.ca/agrobio/ab370-04e.htm

Heinz Body Hemolytic Anemia from Onions

Onions, garlic and chives are all in the Lily family, Liliaceae. Onions are of the genus Allium, and the true onion is Allium cepa, Allium cernuum, is the wild onion, the shallot is Allium ascalonicum, and the green onion (or leek) is Allium ampeloprasm. Garlic is also in the Lily family, Liliaceae, and is related to onions and has similar chemical characteristics.
Onions, whether cooked, raw or dehydrated, contain sulfur compounds, that when chewed, are hydrolyzed to thisulfinates. Thiosulfinates decompose to a number of of disulfides, inculding dipropenyl disulfide (or n-propyl disulfide) which appears to be the most toxic disulfide. These disulfides are oxidizing agents that can cause hemolysis (rupture) of red blood cells.

The toxicity of onions is based on their disulfide concentration, which is increased when they are grown in soil high in sulfur. Sulfur is a widely distributed element found in abundance in the soil in both free and combined states.

In addition to the compounds found in these plants causing red blood cells to rupture, resulting in anemia, they are also cause irritation to the mouth, esophagus and crop, and can cause ulcers, although this damage is probably more severe in mammals.

The sulfur compounds found in these plants cause red blood cells to rupture in animals, and dogs, cats and cattle seem particularly sensitive to this problem. Because birds have nucleated red blood cells, and mammals do not, it is thought that this somewhat protects them from the affects of Heinz body hemolysis. Heinz bodies are pieces of oxidized hemoglobin that are found on still intact red blood cells (RBCs). If enough RBCs are ruptured from the ingestion of these compounds found in onions and garlic, this will result in anemia. Red blood cells are responsible for carrying oxygen to the tissues and for removing carbon dioxide, as well. As the number of RBCs decreases, the animal becomes weaker and the gums and tissues also become pale.

The good news is that the red cells can be replaced by the body as long as the hemolysis stops. In dogs, it takes several days for the red cell count to reach the lowest point after a single large exposure. In chronic exposure at low doses, the anemic effect is lessened because RBCs, also called erythrocytes, are being regenerated as they are being destroyed.

Allicin, which gives garlic its odor, is also a strong oxidant. In rare cases, this chemical can be dangerous and can cause Heinz body hemolytic anemia, as well.

Although I have not seen any scientific studies performed on any avian species, there is the chance that disulfides could also cause this Heinz body hemolytic anemia in birds. For that reason, I feel that is unnecessary and potentially dangerous to feed onions, leeks, garlic or chives, as they don't contain any nutrients that are vital for the health of our pet bird. Why take the risk?
http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/onions.html

Garlic wont kill adult worms and is found to be toxic to red blood cells in several species so I dont recommend it to rabbits.

Actually you feed garlic to horses. Or some do.
There's also tests that proves that garlic is toxic for the horses (and people btw) in any large amount or consistent feeding.
I do avoid garlic products for my horses, I wouldn't feed it to a rabbit and I doubt how effective it is as a dewormer.

There is an old method of deworming by feeding lots of carrots to horses. People did, lots of worms came out and they figured the horse was dewormed. In reality, carrots has vitamins that makes the worm population explode and that's why so many came out..

I shuld also add that I'm against deworming without any sort of sign that the animal is infested. Worms getting resistent to dewormers are a growing problem and most of the time when animals are wormed on a scheduale, it's uneccessary worming. Animals naturally carry a certain amount of parasites and should only be dewormed if that amount gets large enough to cause trouble, aka: you find worms in their spillings or they show signs of worms as loosing weight or such. This is what I learnt when I studied to be some sort of animal nurse and what vets told me. In sweden, horse dewormers has recently become unavailable without a prescription, since people worm twice a year needing it or not. and it's causing resistency with worms.

Antibiotics are the same, there's no way of getting any without a prescription, and prescriptions are hard to come by even if you're sick.. because once we get a resistent bacteria, people will start dying of common infections since we have no cure. Just like before penicillin was discovered. There are already such bacteria in the world.

horse dewormers (have) recently become unavailable without a prescription, since people worm twice a year needing it or not.
Wow!

Most horse owners I know worm them every 3 months and in someplaces they worm monthly.

Getting a fecal float is more expensive than the wormer so people dont bother to test. Thankfully I can do my own fecal floats so I only worm as needed. Last winter was too mild to kill the larve in the soil so I had to do them 2 times but and since my horses dont leave the property and there are no other horses neighbouring us I normally only worm once a year, if that.

Dood":o3mxu6rl said:
horse dewormers (have) recently become unavailable without a prescription, since people worm twice a year needing it or not.
Wow!

Most horse owners I know worm them every 3 months and in someplaces they worm monthly.

Getting a fecal float is more expensive than the wormer so people dont bother to test. Thankfully I can do my own fecal floats so I only worm as needed. Last winter was too mild to kill the larve in the soil so I had to do them 2 times but and since my horses dont leave the property and there are no other horses neighbouring us I normally only worm once a year, if that.

I know that's common across the pond :) That's why I mentioned it. I don't think I've even heard people deworming rabbits here so..

I've wormed our horses twice since 2007 whe we got them. ;) One of those times was because we got a yearling that had worms and whatnot, so we wormed them all. Never had a problem even when wintrs are mild, but that's over here.

Any type of onion/garlic is not good for rabbits.....stinks because we have wild onions and garlic all over the place here....no pun intended... :)

skysthelimit":2o84ueop said:
Supposedly you can deworm with pumpkin seeds.
:yeahthat: is what I've heard too.

I use DE as well but it has only kept things like lice, scale mites (chickens) and anything that is an external parasite off.

Personally I'd rather determine what type of worm I'm dealing with and go use the correct amount of chemical antiparasitic drug. It's no more dangerous to their health than garlic and some other methods while being proven far more effective. Just because something is more naturally found does not make it safer than a properly used medication.

The way I look at natural remedies like garlic or pumpkin seeds vs chemicals is this. I put garlic on pretty much everything I eat and I've eaten pumpkin seeds. I know both of these will do me know harm so I'm fairly certain that it will do the rabbit no harm. Not only will it do no harm to the rabbit while it is alive but I also don't have to worry about any residual traces of chemicals if I end up culling it and eating it.
I won't argue about the uses of chemicals because I know there are a great many uses and they have really helped me out in the past as well but if given a choice between the 2 I'll go with natural first.

There is a lot of controversy about garlic... even for humans. I would not feed it to my rabbits. Pumpkin seeds, however, are not only safe but also packed with nutrients. They make a great supplement, even better than BOSS in my books, and also help with some internal parasites.

MaggieJ":lfnrzfrs said:
There is a lot of controversy about garlic... even for humans. I would not feed it to my rabbits. Pumpkin seeds, however, are not only safe but also packed with nutrients. They make a great supplement, even better than BOSS in my books, and also help with some internal parasites.

I'm assuming they'd have to be raw pumpkin seed? I tried mine on it before, but they didn't want to eat them.

SharonErrin":ep9sg9ms said:
I think it would be better to go for the meds that vets give. :)

Can you discuss your reasoning behind this opinion please :D

The reason I ask is that some folks simply cannot afford the vet visit, nor want the "artificial chemicals" in rabbits they may eat in the future. It also helps if you explain so folks can gauge whether your opinion is based on a "pet-centric" attitude which makes a difference on this forum where folks are breeding for pets, showing, and meat rabbits. We are all here to share and learn :D

For example, I raise show, pet and meat rabbits, and in this small rural town, there is only one of three vets that will even treat a rabbit, and while he charges a comprable rate to the other vets, it can get expensive very quickly to have rabbits treated. I would rather treat homeopathically up to a certain point.

BH - did you try crushing/cracking the seeds? I find that my large rabbits would rather I crack the pumpkin seeds for them first ... so what's a bunny slave to do? :cheesysmile:

Bad Habit":3c9lmewn said:
MaggieJ":3c9lmewn said:

I'm assuming they'd have to be raw pumpkin seed? I tried mine on it before, but they didn't want to eat them.

Yes, the pumpkin seed needs to be raw. I'm surprised your rabbits wouldn't eat them. Mine love them.

I didn't try crushing or cracking them. I took them fresh out of the pumpkin(both pie and jack-o-lantern type) and rinsed them and offered them still fresh. Should I have dried them first? Even Lily, my glutton who will eat anything, wouldn't touch them.

yep, dried ... you can dry them in an oven on low for a couple of hours ... spread one layer over the bottom of a baking tray.

I sometimes air dry them if I have a lot. But I often feed them along with the pumpkin flesh. They sometimes don't eat all the pumpkin... but they never leave seeds behind. But... rabbits can be as finicky as cats, so you can never be certain about what they will like and what they won't.

Latest posts

Back