Gagging

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lewis

Reaction score
Im not sure if this is anything but thought i would see if anyone has experienced the same. My EA was gruntting and then i heard a gagging sound. He seems find i checked his mouth (clear)and area he was at- no throw-up. One of the pee pads he was lying on was chewed. (He has never chewed them before and i will remove them) he has free range and normally doesnt chew anything hes not suppose to (he has sticks he and grass matts he chews). Has anyone experienced a rabbit gagging or have insight to this? Should i be worries? He hasnt had any health problems other than before when he had worms and parasites.

Rabbits cannot vomit -- physically impossible for them, same as horses.

It sounds to me like he choked on a piece of something -- perhaps the pee pad. It could cause a problem if it creates a blockage in his intestines, but I have no idea whether or not this is likely or if there is anything you can do about it. If he is eating, drinking and pooping, those are good signs.

I hope someone else with firsthand experience of this kind of situation will chime in with better advice about what, if anything, you could do. You could also do an Internet search using appropriate key words.

~ Maggie

Rabbits cannot vomit -- physically impossible for them, same as horses.

It sounds to me like he choked on a piece of something -- perhaps the pee pad. It could cause a problem if it creates a blockage in his intestines, but I have no idea whether or not this is likely or if there is anything you can do about it. If he is eating, drinking and pooping, those are good signs.

I hope someone else with firsthand experience of this kind of situation will chime in with better advice about what, if anything, you could do. You could also do an Internet search using appropriate key words.

~ Maggie
Thank you for the advice. One the first places i searched was rabbit talks's postd and nothing really came up. One post a person commented she saw her rabbit throw-up.. . So im not sure in general, q rabbit's throwing-up capablities ... i was under the impression rabbits can not burp or throw-up but perhaps they cam throw-up. Regardless mine has not and he has been eating and behaving normally (other than chewing the pad.) Maybe it was just him clearing his throat.thank you again for ur input!

One the first places i searched was rabbit talks's postd and nothing really came up. One post a person commented she saw her rabbit throw-up.. . So im not sure in general, q rabbit's throwing-up capablities ... i was under the impression rabbits can not burp or throw-up but perhaps they cam throw-up.
I would think that's probably from choking or coughing. They don't have a gag reflex either, so they lack the brain impulse to 'heave'.

I'm not trying to be indelicate here but was the sound similar to the noises they make when breeding?

Latest posts

Back