From Skinny Kits to FAT :)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In the past I have usually had a supply of dried nettle stalks hanging in my barn to offer to my nursing does. But not right now. I have 8 litters that were kindled on the 9th. Most seemed to be doing well. Some VERY fat but I had 3 litters that had some very skinny kits on day 3-4.

I was wishing that I had that nettle to offer and then when I was cleaning out my kitchen cabinet I came across 2 OLD boxes of nursing mothers' tea that I thought to offer on Freecycle.

Then the light bulb went on! For the next couple of days I tore open a tea bag for each doe and sprinkled the contents [FENNEL SEED, GOATS' RUE, FENUGREEK, NETTLE, LEMON BALM, MARSHMALLOW ROOT] on top of the whole oats that I give nursing moms as a treat. Within 2 days ALL the kits were FAT!

I can't say for sure that the herbs did it but I will be keeping these on hand for any skinny kits' mom in the future.

caroline":ns95187e said:
In the past I have usually had a supply of dried nettle stalks hanging in my barn to offer to my nursing does. But not right now. I have 8 litters that were kindled on the 9th. Most seemed to be doing well. Some VERY fat but I had 3 litters that had some very skinny kits on day 3-4.

I was wishing that I had that nettle to offer and then when I was cleaning out my kitchen cabinet I came across 2 OLD boxes of nursing mothers' tea that I thought to offer on Freecycle.

Then the light bulb went on! For the next couple of days I tore open a tea bag for each doe and sprinkled the contents [FENNEL SEED, GOATS' RUE, FENUGREEK, NETTLE, LEMON BALM, MARSHMALLOW ROOT] on top of the whole oats that I give nursing moms as a treat. Within 2 days ALL the kits were FAT!

I can't say for sure that the herbs did it but I will be keeping these on hand for any skinny kits' mom in the future.
I wonder if they will smell like maple syrup like humans do?? I found some old shirts in a tub from when I was nursing and taking fenugreek and they reeked!

Neat that it worked!

heritage":xnmntuxx said:
I wonder if they will smell like maple syrup like humans do?

Oooh! I wonder if they will taste like maple syrup? Maple-bacon-bunnybelly-flaps, here I come! :dinner:

They just might replace bunny jerky... :p

MamaSheepdog":3dplmeyb said:
heritage":3dplmeyb said:
I wonder if they will smell like maple syrup like humans do?

Oooh! I wonder if they will taste like maple syrup? Maple-bacon-bunnybelly-flaps, here I come! :dinner:

They just might replace bunny jerky... :p
:lol:

Thanks for the post, Caroline! At the age of the kits, I'd be pretty sure it was the herbs! :p

Back