Fresh grass for kits ????

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reids Rabbits

Reaction score
I have some pastor pens (tractors) and I like to more my larger litters into to give them lots of space. My question is, Is there such a thing that too much fresh grass is bad for kits? I have some 5week old kits I want to more out. They were in a smaller pen yesterday and trimmed the grass right done. they also have pellets and mom. But I think they don't nurse anymore.

Have they been getting fresh forage since coming out of the nest? If so, they should be fine. If not, I would limit their time in the pasture pens, gradually extending it over the next few days.

When I first start adding fresh weeds and greens back into my rabbits' diets, I feed hay first to "take the edge off" their hunger so they don't gobble up the weeds on an empty stomach. I also start with small amounts, gradually increasing the amount fed over a few days.

If your rabbits develop loose stools, you are increasing the amount too quickly.

I agree with MamaSheepdog. Unless the kits have been given access to fresh greens since coming out of the nest, you will need to ease them into fresh foods so that they can develop the proper gut flora to digest them without getting diarrhea or bloat. Cutting the grass before you put the tractor on it and raking up the cuttings should help limit the amount they can get. It's a very good idea to feed the hay first, as MSD points out.

Grass is also lower in protein than pellets so if they fill up on forage they may not get the growth or muscling they would with a complete rabbit chow.

Ok thanks. I'll slowly Give them grass clipping for the next couple weeks before putting them in the tractors. I put some 8 week old bunnies in them and the ate the grass but dived into the pellets first until they were gone. Just wasn't sure how early to put them on fresh grass.

Reid's Rabbits, what I meant was to cut the grass short and rake up the clippings before putting the tractor on that piece of pasture. That way, they can only get a limited amount. Grass cuttings themselves can be fed, but they tend to begin to compost very quickly and can cause digestive issues. Putting the tractor on very short pasture is an easy way to limit consumption until the rabbits have a chance to adjust.

Latest posts

Back