French Angora + New Zealand buck = ???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AnnClaire":144wyljg said:
Not that I have noticed, but you might want to try a different position when you lift her ... are you picking her up as she is facing you, then try turning her away and sort of rolling her up with one hand under her front and one scooping her butt. If you get it right, it keeps them from struggling and I have found that it is relatively easy to sort of turn them into my chest for carrying.

I have tried to pick her up with her facing me with my hands behind her front legs but that is when she leaps and bucks. If I scruff her with my right hand to bring her to the front of the cage, her head facing left and put my left arm along her right side and lift her with that arm controling her with my right hand she is fine, other than getting her to face left for me, she wants to face me hence my trying to lift her facing me.

would there be much difference if one had a satin angora buck and bred him to a cali doe?

would there be much difference if one had a satin angora buck and bred him to a cali doe?

Since you need to get two recessive genes (satin and wool) into the kits it will take longer but it is the same idea of breeding the daughters back to their father and then granddaughters to him, etc..., until you finally get satin AND angora kits.

Dood":1quck8vq said:
would there be much difference if one had a satin angora buck and bred him to a cali doe?[/qoute]

Since you need to get two recessive genes (satin and wool) into the kits it will take longer but it is the same idea of breeding the daughters back to their father and then granddaughters to him, etc..., until you finally get satin AND angora kits.

hm... interesting. about how many generations/years do you think that might take? if you had to guess.<br /><br />__________ Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:34 pm __________<br /><br />oh, and if i was just wanting angora in general would that be sooner? i mean i'm guessing i'd get regular fur, satin, angora all mixed in the litters after a couple generations. so if of those satin to satin was bred would it be satin or satin angora or angora in the babies? i'm thinkin satin with some possible angora... since both would be satin that would take precidence over the hopeful stray angora gene.

my genetics knowledge is a bit inferior so if this is completely off the wall then by all means tell me i'm totally wrong in my train of thought ;)

How many generations?

Well that depends on what you are breeding for? F3 or F4, for really good Wool, F5. In rabbits, that's maybe 3-4 years, if they breed early, perhaps a little longer if they are like mine and don't breed until 8-10 mos old.

You should get angora in the second generation and if you're lucky one of those kits will also be satin.

In the first generation they will have normal fur but everyone will carry the wool and satin gene.

Pick your favorites and breed these back to the satin angora buck, you will get some normal looking rabbits(that are carriers), some angoras, some satins and possibly one that is both.

If I didn't get any satin angoras then I would then start two blood lines.

Pick the angoras and breed these back to the buck to get litters of just angora and work on improving the wool quality.

Pick a satin and breed it to an angora to try and get satin angoras and then breed these to the angora line.

And have lots and lots of spare cages ready!

I have one little line going right now trying to put a really nice harlequin coat onto a really nice New Zealand body but each litter produced has traites I want so its really hard to decide who to keep and who to eat.

So yeh, LOTS of cages!

Latest posts

Back